Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Help in synthesising manganese (II) sulfate

vibbzlab - 18-12-2019 at 06:38

Manganese dioxide doesn't easily react with Sulfuric acid but it does react easily with a catalyst like hydrogen peroxide. I was try to figure out that and i found that

MnO2+H2SO4-->MnSO4+O2+H2O

I took stoichiometrically equal manganese dioxide and Sulfuric acid in a flask and now I need to add hydrogen peroxide into it. I have 30% hydrogen peroxide. How much should I add to complete the reaction

Amos - 18-12-2019 at 07:34

It's difficult to say, because even though hydrogen peroxide can act as a reducing agent, its decomposition is also catalyzed by the presence of manganese dioxide or manganese ions in solution, so you may waste a considerable amount of your hydrogen peroxide trying to reduce it all. A more ergonomic option would be bisulfite or oxalic acid, then precipitating manganese(II) carbonate from the resulting solution, washing it and finally dissolving in sulfuric acid again.

vibbzlab - 18-12-2019 at 07:35

Is there a note on preparing that

Swinfi2 - 18-12-2019 at 12:46

I think you would do better to use Sulphur Dioxide as your reducing agent. It makes the products you want and doesn't (imo) waste more difficult to access reagents (H2SO4 & H2O2).

MnO2 + SO2 -> MnSO4

Just make sure you're in a well ventilated location if you're dealing with gases.

vibbzlab - 18-12-2019 at 18:20

Ok I will try that and see what I get.
I have got a lot of sodium metabisulfite.

S.C. Wack - 18-12-2019 at 19:01

If only there was a thread titled MnO2 -> MnSO4; What is the best route? somewhere.

vibbzlab - 18-12-2019 at 19:23

My question wasn't that. I needed help in synthesising manganese sulfate with MnO2 and Sulfuric acid with hydrogen peroxide . I was looking for the stoichiometry. Only then I was told that making that way isn't gonna work

fusso - 18-12-2019 at 22:23

You really need to learn more about equation balancing and stoichiometric calculations before asking those, those are basic chemistry.

Pumukli - 18-12-2019 at 22:37

You can safely forget the peroxide route.
In my experience MnO2 is such an efficient catalyst to promote H2O2 decomposition that you won't get any useful quantity of Mn2+.

On the other hand SO2 -as was pointed out- is a good reducing agent for your aim. It may work in itself or require acidic environment to work, you should check it in the literature first.