Sciencemadness Discussion Board

is there any resonably avalible ways to make copper (III) (any purple copper compund/complex)

Armus_ - 23-12-2019 at 13:31

so I've been trying to research on how to make copper (III) but I really didn't come to any conclusion except some guy using a pool chemical but NaDCC isn't available where I'm at for some reason. so, I was wondering if there was any way to make copper (III) and if you know how to make copper (IV) then please throw that in because I haven't had any luck on that either.

if there is a procedure that I can actually do and that may be available to other easily then I will update you guys with pictures, any setbacks and how I overcame them just in case, and give credit to the poster that helps and the original founder

Bedlasky - 23-12-2019 at 13:38

Copper(III) oxide-hydroxide can be made from copper(II) oxide or hydroxide and hypochlorite or persulfate.

DraconicAcid - 23-12-2019 at 13:58

Woelen made a copper(III) periodate complex.

https://woelen.homescience.net/science/chem/exps/CuIII/index...

woelen - 23-12-2019 at 14:24

All of these copper(III) compounds have in common that strongly oxidizing species are needed to make them. Peroxodisulfate and hypochlorite both are very strong oxidizers, also in alkaline environments. With suitable other ions as ligands (which also must be oxidizing, or at least withstand the strongly oxidizing conditions of the experiment), you can make interesting copper(III) compounds.

Armus_ - 23-12-2019 at 14:43

Quote: Originally posted by woelen  
All of these copper(III) compounds have in common that strongly oxidizing species are needed to make them. Peroxodisulfate and hypochlorite both are very strong oxidizers, also in alkaline environments. With suitable other ions as ligands (which also must be oxidizing, or at least withstand the strongly oxidizing conditions of the experiment), you can make interesting copper(III) compounds.

is there any precipitate compounds/complexes?

UC235 - 23-12-2019 at 15:13

I don't believe I have seen any evidence to suggest Cu(DCC)2 hydrate (or whatever it is) is a Cu(III) species.

Armus_ - 23-12-2019 at 17:35

Quote: Originally posted by UC235  
I don't believe I have seen any evidence to suggest Cu(DCC)2 hydrate (or whatever it is) is a Cu(III) species.

what oxidation species do you think it is?

clearly_not_atara - 23-12-2019 at 21:12

Cuprate superconductors are all Cu2+/3+ species as I recall, made by sintering the mixed oxides in oxygen. For example YBCO has 3 copper ions donating seven electrons between them:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yttrium_barium_copper_oxide

Bezaleel - 24-12-2019 at 07:43

Quote: Originally posted by Armus_  

It's copper(II). The complex derives its colour from the bonds with nitrogen contained in the cyanurate ring.

The purple complex can be produced from cyanuric acid, NaOH and Cu2+. Under the right conditions, the purple complex will form. The colour can be purple like cobalt silicate, but also deeper, if it is crystallised slowly from its solution.

Armus_ - 25-12-2019 at 17:14

Quote: Originally posted by Bezaleel  
Quote: Originally posted by Armus_  

It's copper(II). The complex derives its colour from the bonds with nitrogen contained in the cyanurate ring.

The purple complex can be produced from cyanuric acid, NaOH and Cu2+. Under the right conditions, the purple complex will form. The colour can be purple like cobalt silicate, but also deeper, if it is crystallised slowly from its solution.

oh wow i never really thought about that somehow, i thought it was from the copper because i seen other simmilar colored complexes but never had any idea on how they wore made... heh...