Sciencemadness Discussion Board

What is the name of this type of container?

TGWS - 13-1-2020 at 11:43

What is the name of this type of container?

Does it serve a practical purpose as reagent storage or is it for display purposes only?

Why is it shaped the way that it is...? ;)

tannicacid.png - 134kB

DavidJR - 13-1-2020 at 11:49

Uhh... I'd call that a butt plug.

TGWS - 13-1-2020 at 11:56

Heh, some of the reagents I've seen put into these, I'm not sure I'd like to wiggle one up the back passage and meet the dirty consequences - both chemically and mentally scarring.

karlosĀ³ - 13-1-2020 at 12:18

I think it is for display purposes only, as I've only seen containers with this form on chinese retail markets.
I don't know what a butt plug shaped container has for a purpose anyway, I can't think of any other than making the reagent better visible(but then again, you just see white or multiple colored powders, could be anything, even spices? Certainly a bad choice without amber glass.).

TGWS - 13-1-2020 at 13:05

Yeah, I suppose that makes sense.

I can just imagine a dodgy company fobbing off some dirt from outside as something really expensive.

The shape must be an added bonus. :)

SWIM - 14-1-2020 at 09:29

I have seen old American display bottles with a similar, but less tapered shape.
They were in old Pharmacies for display purposes.

I can't find a picture of one, but in shape they resemble this:

Which is also some sort of butt-plug.

These bottles are also called seed bottles and used to display seeds as well. (Both the columnar and conical forms)

I have always assumed these were to allow nudist element collectors carry their samples around without having to have their hands full.

No, actually I look at these and think: "There must have been some horrifying accidents with these being mis-used. Too Brittle."

[Edited on 14-1-2020 by SWIM]

karlosĀ³ - 14-1-2020 at 12:54

Yeah, who of us doesn't think stuff like "today I'm going to go outside completely nude, but I need to carry my tellurium sample with me in a large body orifice", at least from time to time? :D
I have thoughts like this several times everyday! :P

draculic acid69 - 14-1-2020 at 16:19

I'd call it a glass egg.or buttplug.for some reason every chem company on Alibaba use it for display purposes on there pages.maybe it started out as a dare or inside joke to use a buttplug on there company page without it getting flagged as sexual content and then it became traditional to use a hollow buttplug to display powders on Alibaba.
I've never seen them on any other website or anywhere else and they don't look too functional

Armus_ - 15-1-2020 at 06:57

the only practical use for these is for prisoners to actively carry drugs XD

Morgan - 15-1-2020 at 09:08

Ebay has several listing using the words "lab glass seed bottle" sometimes followed by the words specimen bottle, sample bottle.

SWIM - 15-1-2020 at 12:37

This actually brings up an interesting question:

How old is the seed bottle?

How old is the butt plug?

Were they independent inventions, or was the butt-plug form borrowed from seed bottles?

Maybe some creative Pharmacist back in the early 20th century thought of a different use for his/her display bottles and later they were copied in form by sex toy producers.


The 'orificial therapy' dilators sold in the early 20th century by some American doctor who insisted tight sphincters lead to neuroses seem to have used a different form unrelated to the seed bottle/modern butt plug form.

(They show up sometimes in auctions of quack medical devices.)