Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Separating copper powder from copper hydroxide?

Draeger - 27-2-2020 at 14:28

Hello. Basically, I have some copper powder with a greenish powder mixed into it, which I presume to be copper hydroxide. I know that I could just pour something like acetic acid onto it, but I don't know if the powder will ignite or something with the added surface area.

So, I want to hear what you think might be the best method in this case.

B(a)P - 27-2-2020 at 15:05

Which product are you wanting to use, or is it both? What do you want to use the product for? The answer to these questions will determine the best approach for separation.

phlogiston - 27-2-2020 at 15:47

Don't worry about ignition. Copper powder will not burn, nor react explosively with acetic acid.
Worst case scenario: you get lots of foaming and bubbling and the bubbling mass overflows out of your container.

Make sure to wash the cleaned copper powder extensively to remove residual acid, and dry it quickly or it will soon begin to oxidise again and you'll be back to square one.

Draeger - 27-2-2020 at 16:02

Quote: Originally posted by B(a)P  
Which product are you wanting to use, or is it both? What do you want to use the product for? The answer to these questions will determine the best approach for separation.

Both would be good, but I'm also okay with just keeping the copper.

Quote: Originally posted by phlogiston  
Don't worry about ignition. Copper powder will not burn, nor react explosively with acetic acid.
Worst case scenario: you get lots of foaming and bubbling and the bubbling mass overflows out of your container.

Make sure to wash the cleaned copper powder extensively to remove residual acid, and dry it quickly or it will soon begin to oxidise again and you'll be back to square one.

Alright. I'll try it out once I have another empty container.