Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Electric alcohol burner

anti - 13-3-2020 at 02:47

So I've been working on a new kind of adjustable lab heater: electric alcohol burner!
It consists of a jar that contains fuel, a vaporiser, a wick and a combination tube.
The size of the flame is adjustable. I have a PSU that can supply 6 or 12 volts, and the POC, tubeless mock-up showed great results. Haven't yet tested the final build, but [ChemPlayer TTS] it should work fine.
Images with the final build working will be up soon!

vibbzlab - 13-3-2020 at 06:23

can you send a better picture.i am unable to see it clearly

OK

anti - 13-3-2020 at 10:56

Quote: Originally posted by vibbzlab  
can you send a better picture.i am unable to see it clearly

There is the full sized picture. [i originally downscaled it because i've had bad experiences in the past with the formatting]

https://i.imgur.com/vHs5gBp.jpg

EDIT: Actually the image is too large for this formatting. Access the link and let the browser do the rest!

[Edited on 13-3-2020 by anti]

anti - 13-3-2020 at 11:04

Haven't yet found fuel. The only alcohol i could find is concentrated isopropanol, technic alcohol at a paint supply shop(one liter costs 3 dollars). But i do not want to use that, as it does not burn as clean and hot as ethanol and it also produces soot . So far i've used 70% ethanol rubbing alcohol for my burners, but , because of the new pandemic, the city has been cleared of the rubbing alcohol. I'VE BEEN TO ALL SHOPS AND PHARMACIES IN MY TOWN. And not a single soul buys the concentrated 90%+ ISOPROPYL. Little do they know that it's cheaper and better then rubbing alcohol. Chemistry is essential, lol.

The 70% eth. also burns yellow because it is contaminated with dyes and stuff.

[Edited on 13-3-2020 by anti]

anti - 17-3-2020 at 03:11

I managed to find a local place that sells 99.9% pure isopropyl alcohol (wow), for 2.44€ / liter.
Testing will begin shortly.

anti - 17-3-2020 at 03:28

The flame is sooty because isopropanol is not the best. Flame height is almost 30cm.
Imagine how quick it could boil water!

anti - 17-3-2020 at 03:33

Here is an image taken when it was still ramping up.
PS: I am very careful not to poison myself with CO.

_20200317_133229.JPG - 493kB