Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Solubility of KBr, NaBr in Ethylene Glycol /Propylene Glycol

rolynd - 11-4-2020 at 07:51

I need some Solubility values for KBr and NaBr in both 100% Ethylene Glycol and Propylene Glycol (Water -free) There is some Data avaliable on solubility in various Water/Glycol Percentage Mixes but I need the base Solubility in the pure, water-free glycols.

So far , despite some searching, the only values I have been able to find are:

KBr:
Ethylene Glycol: 15,85g/100ml @30°C
Propylene Glycol: ???

NaBr
Ethylene Glycol: ???
Propylene Glycol: ???
Glycerol: 38,7g/100ml @20°C

Maybe someone with better google-fu than myself or other resources can help me out here? Pretty basic data -but I have trouble finding it.

Best Regards.

[Edited on 11-4-2020 by rolynd]

Arcaeca - 14-4-2020 at 17:06

I gave it a looksie and I think I probably found the same ACS article you got the KBr in ethylene glycol datapoint from. Couldn't find anything anything for any of the other salt/solvent combos I'm afraid, not in NIST, ACS or RSC; it's decently likely it simply hasn't been measured. Can you not measure it yourself though? By placing a fixed amount of solid KBr (say, 20 g, with as much precision as your mass balance will allow) in a test tube, and then adding anhydrous propylene glycol at a constant temperature dropwise to find the minimum volume needed to dissolve all the solid, and then normalize the data to 100 mL?

TheMrbunGee - 15-4-2020 at 11:38

KBr in glycerol 25°C 17,8 g/100g (Russian wiki, no source)