Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Chemical attack inside the flask

maqce - 18-4-2020 at 06:47

Hello,
I recieved new flasks and I had a problem : I can't boil liquids in it because the surface inside the flask is too smooth. I haven't any magnetic stir, and even with boiling chips (broken glass) it still bumps violently. I scratched the botton of the flask but it's not efficient.
So I thought I could chemicaly attack the glass to create porosity. I have NaOH, I can reflux concentrated NaOH solution in the bottom of the flask. Do you think it could work ?

BromicAcid - 18-4-2020 at 07:17

In my experience accidentally injuring a flask with NaOH I did not end up with a frosted inside but instead a very smooth bumpy inside. Are all your issues bumping related to the same liquid/solution? Are you heating it too fast, applying vacuum too fast, or maybe not examining all the variables?

maqce - 18-4-2020 at 07:25

Quote: Originally posted by BromicAcid  
Are all your issues bumping related to the same liquid/solution? Are you heating it too fast, applying vacuum too fast, or maybe not examining all the variables?

I already had this problem before, but today it happened when I was distilling ethanol, heating it very gently with boiling chips and scratched bottom, and no vacuum. I don't know what it could be..

[Edited on 18-4-2020 by maqce]

maqce - 18-4-2020 at 07:28

The scratches helped a bit, but it still bumps

DraconicAcid - 18-4-2020 at 08:20

Broken glass for boiling chips? You want broken ceramic.

unionised - 18-4-2020 at 12:23

The silica gell beads you get in little bags that say "do not eat" do a much better job as boiling chips than broken glass does.

maqce - 18-4-2020 at 12:48

Quote: Originally posted by unionised  
The silica gell beads you get in little bags that say "do not eat" do a much better job as boiling chips than broken glass does.

Oh that's smart ! Thx I'll try it

mackolol - 19-4-2020 at 02:31

And is it round bottom flask or the Erlenmeyer?, because Erlenmeyers always bump without vigorous stirring during distillation.
If it's Round bottom, you can add some acid washed sand, I used it in ether synthesis and worked just fine.

[Edited on 19-4-2020 by mackolol]