Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Establishing a business entity for purchases

Refinery - 9-5-2020 at 14:27

I got tired on these "what'cha guna need dem hazardouss calciumous carbonates for??" and purchasing impure and diluted stuff, I solved the problem by establishing a business entity front for myself. It is extremely frustrating to get questioned by buying "a large amount" of 500mL of something trivial for 30 bucks, where the same stuff is sold in 25L cans for 150 bucks, with business name.

Establishing a business entity can vary depending on the status of the establishment, but the most simple form of personal legal business entity can be as simple as filling an online survey that takes less than 5 minutes and paying a minimal fee to get the official registration. With this status, one can just put their company info on the table, and they have access to basically everything the market has to offer, including some more specific reagents, and companies are also easily willing to sell stuff in bulk, and cheap, because they are used as feedstock. There are no liability issues when dealing between businesses, since you must(should) be a professional.

Imagination can be used to establish a front to excuse the variation on orders, and choosing a proper field of activity makes no one doubt that the stuff you are looking for is well in order. For example, processes involving material treatment uses basically every single type of acid, metal salt, various organic solvents, cyanides, etc. Perhaps a re-sales business can be less ideal, because many suppliers can consider this a risk that their precious products may end in hands they don't want, aka private persons, so stating that the supply comes exclusively for the company's own use and disposed afterwards is good.

Having an industrial address is an issue though, since many suppliers can overlook a private address, though this seems to be not an issue unless pallets worth of stuff is ordered, and even then there is the excuse that the warehouse/workshop of a small entity is call-on-duty service and not manned for receiving orders in daily basis. Second issue is that there are restrictions on storing hazardous materials in living quarters.

morganbw - 9-5-2020 at 16:48

Dang, I think babble.

[Edited on 5/10/2020 by morganbw]

j_sum1 - 9-5-2020 at 19:02

These kinds of things depend greatly on locality and applicable laws and red-tape requirements. Not something I would even consider where I live. I can get pretty much everything I need. The costs associated with running a business -- even a business front, would not be worth it.

Frankenshtein - 20-9-2020 at 15:38

The private/residential address is something I find they look for, and is part of the limitations of businesses. This is even how some places communicate how things will be sold or that they cannot ship to such places.

Things are going to get worse for local availability. However, it seems because of pervasiveness of the internet, interest piqued by seeing chemistry on places like youtube, and the increase in what Kaczynski refers to as "surrogate activities", that there is greater availability of chemicals online for amateurs than before.

Most people dont have an idea for a business that could reasonably use the chemicals of their interest, let alone a business that could pay the lease in the zones available to chemical industry.

macckone - 20-9-2020 at 16:27

Frakenshtein,
Industrial space is cheap if you can find a small one.
I was able to find a 700 sq ft space for under $500/mo.
The biggest problem with industrial space is you usually have to rent 5000 sq ft.
Your mileage may vary but Denver is a pretty expensive place.
For comparison a 10 x 10 storage unit is about $200/mo in the same area.

Fyndium - 21-9-2020 at 06:54

Industrial space is actually very well available in basically any sizes from 10sqm, the most common small business range being 20-100sqm. At least here a person can just get one, being individual or a company, sign and pay and it's yours.

Totally another issue is that if it's for a hobby only, paying even few hundred euros per month is definitely too much for most amateurs. Make it a business for profit to pay the bills.. Well, that's when things get into a totally another level. I wish I could just establish a small research/specialty chemical firm and first trade stuff and eventually build capacity to make own high value reagents per order. Make hobby a profession, hence allowing you to play with $100k equipment for the off-time.

Frankenshtein - 21-9-2020 at 08:52

This is where combined businesses would be the option. Do some other business that makes money and have the chemistry as well. It would just look a little awkward. Or share the space with another business, or even lease the unused space for storage. Or make it a makerspace. But really, I think most things you can make yourself, there's just horrendously dangerous reactions and reagents.