Sciencemadness Discussion Board

PTFE powder from granules

Steve s - 21-5-2020 at 01:46

As per subject really, i have some Shamrock PTFE granules that i'd like to grind/chop/mash/bully into powder form.

Any Ideas ??

draculic acid69 - 21-5-2020 at 05:38

The best idea is buy the powder off eBay as trying to powder any sort of plastic is gunna be extremely hard and not very effective

Steve s - 21-5-2020 at 13:03

Yeah i do have some already in powder form, just happened to acquire this as part of a job lot and the only thing i can think of to do with it is PTFE Al rocket motors.
Although thinking about it, it might work well in a reflux column.

Herr Haber - 23-5-2020 at 10:15

I'd go the eBay route too.

Though if I had dry ice maybe... wait, I just checked Youtube for the idea that was sprouting in my brain and found nothing :)

I'll be damned. Usually when I have a silly idea someone always thought of it and posted a video about it on Youtube before.
(Sometimes a SM member)

I was thinking about freezing it with liquid nitrogen or dry ice and then try to crush the granules with anything from a potato masher or the usual mortar.
You wouldnt get a regular granularity but it could be fun to try.

Steve s - 23-5-2020 at 12:21

Quote: Originally posted by Herr Haber  
I'd go the eBay route too.

Though if I had dry ice maybe... wait, I just checked Youtube for the idea that was sprouting in my brain and found nothing :)

I'll be damned. Usually when I have a silly idea someone always thought of it and posted a video about it on Youtube before.
(Sometimes a SM member)

I was thinking about freezing it with liquid nitrogen or dry ice and then try to crush the granules with anything from a potato masher or the usual mortar.
You wouldnt get a regular granularity but it could be fun to try.

Worth a try. Pretty sure dry ice wouldn't get it cold enough but LQN might.