Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Salicylic acid methylation?

Pumukli - 24-5-2020 at 04:32

I've been wondering how easy was the methylation reaction of salicylic acid?

No, not the esterification of the carboxyl group but the ether formation of the hydroxyl (to yield o-anisic acid in the end).
I could find dozens of descriptions and lab manuals where the synthesis of the "oil of wintergreen" was described but not the other.

Am I doing something wrong or do I overlook something obvious why the o-anisic acid synth could not be performed the way I want it?

Is it a bit more complicated than "dissolve the salicylic acid in some excess NaOH solution, stirr vigorously, add some dimethyl-sulfate in excess, stirr for a while, get rid of unreacted methylating agent, enjoy your o-anisic acid"?

dawt - 24-5-2020 at 11:34

Quote: Originally posted by Pumukli  
Is it a bit more complicated than "dissolve the salicylic acid in some excess NaOH solution, stirr vigorously, add some dimethyl-sulfate in excess, stirr for a while, get rid of unreacted methylating agent, enjoy your o-anisic acid"?

Well, that's how you get methyl o-methoxybenzoate: http://www.jocpr.com/articles/a-simple-and-one-step-commerci...

Quote:

Salicylic acid 200 g and potassium carbonate 415.6 g were charged in Acetone 1000 mL and Dimethyl sulfate 403 g was added slowly at 25-30°C. The reaction was maintained at 55-60°C for 3-4 hrs and reaction progress was monitored by TLC. The reaction mixture was cooled to 25-30°C and filtered remove salts. The resulting filtrate concentrated under vacuum to obtained 2-Methoxy-benzoic acid methyl ester.

Saponificate that and you end up with your target compound.

Attachment: a-simple-and-one-step-commercially-cost-effective-process-for-eluxadoline-intermediates.pdf (223kB)
This file has been downloaded 313 times

[Edited on 2020-5-24 by dawt]

Pumukli - 24-5-2020 at 22:58

Thanks dawt!

So it seems it can be done.
Maybe the ester would be OK too.

DraconicAcid - 25-5-2020 at 16:48

I was similarly wondering if methyl salicylate could be deprotonated (and then alkylated) without hydrolyzing the ester.