Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Grey colour when making lead acetate

Sprotz - 14-6-2020 at 03:57

When I try to make lead acetate from lead metal, I add acetic acid to the lead, then I add hydrogen peroxide. the solution turns white upon adding the peroxide, but after some adding and stirring, the solution is grey in colour and there is a grey residue at the bottom. When I add some hydrogen peroxide to this, I see an instant white cloud for a moment but overall the mixture is grey. What is this grey substance and isn't lead acetate supposed to be white?

Refinery - 14-6-2020 at 06:15

The lead apparently contains additives.

XeonTheMGPony - 14-6-2020 at 06:21

The usual alloy is Antimony and rarer except for battery grids Calcium

Sprotz - 14-6-2020 at 12:15

Ok, I see. so even airgun pellets are not pure lead.

Ubya - 14-6-2020 at 13:36

Quote: Originally posted by Sprotz  
Ok, I see. so even airgun pellets are not pure lead.

bullets are especially not pure lead. Pure lead is really soft, they add antimony, tin, and other metals to get the right hardness.

i got the same white stuff, filter it and you get a normal lead acetate solution

B(a)P - 14-6-2020 at 14:31

Quote: Originally posted by Sprotz  
When I try to make lead acetate from lead metal, I add acetic acid to the lead, then I add hydrogen peroxide. the solution turns white upon adding the peroxide, but after some adding and stirring, the solution is grey in colour and there is a grey residue at the bottom. When I add some hydrogen peroxide to this, I see an instant white cloud for a moment but overall the mixture is grey. What is this grey substance and isn't lead acetate supposed to be white?

I can confirm that I have seen the same thing when making lead acetate from range lead.

XeonTheMGPony - 15-6-2020 at 03:52

yup I did a big batch of lead nitrate, Usually takes a couple of filters and a crystallization to get it nicely purified

Here are pics from my lead acetate run year ago

First 2 is the garbage left over from 2 purifying steps

Mystery goop.jpg - 232kB

Un disolvable mystery.jpg - 209kB

Solidified Lead Acetate crude - upload.jpg - 268kB

[Edited on 15-6-2020 by XeonTheMGPony]