Sciencemadness Discussion Board

2020 Secret Santa [tell everyone how it went]

Pages:  1  

j_sum1 - 22-9-2020 at 19:28

Hi everyone. I was just about to nominate myself on the missing person's list. My presence here over the past month has been sporadic to say the least. Not to mention lack of activity in my lab. I am looking forward to life returning to normal a bit so that I can focus on those things that are both important and enjoyable.

But… It is that time of year to get the SS up and running.
Here is the sign up sheet.

Here are the details you need to know:

I am looking forward to putting this together for you. It would be great to finish this year on a high note.
Merry Christmas to all of SM.

[edit] typo in heading.

[Edited on 26-9-2020 by j_sum1]

[Edited on 17-10-2020 by j_sum1]

Edit – submissions closed

[Edited on 19-10-2020 by j_sum1]

[Edited on 21-10-2020 by j_sum1]

[Edited on 28-10-2020 by j_sum1]

[Edited on 27-12-2020 by j_sum1]

DraconicAcid - 22-9-2020 at 19:37

Sign-up sheets says that it's closed.

j_sum1 - 22-9-2020 at 19:51

Quote: Originally posted by DraconicAcid  
Sign-up sheets says that it's closed.

Thanks. I will fix that.
J.

B(a)P - 22-9-2020 at 22:26

Thanks for organising! I skipped it last year and regretted it, definitely getting on board this year.

scienceboi - 22-9-2020 at 22:54

Honestly, I've never really done a secret Santa and I'm pretty new to chemistry and this forum...
but I signed up anyway!

I'm excited to be someone's Santa

arkoma - 23-9-2020 at 03:41

I'm in.

ArbuzToWoda - 23-9-2020 at 03:56

I'm gonna enlist too! But from a different account, don't wanna give away my address here :~0

karlos³ - 23-9-2020 at 08:21

Count me in!
I hope I get someone I can make happy with what I can give away :)

By the way, is there any general sum of money we can use as guide?

j_sum1 - 23-9-2020 at 13:27

Quote: Originally posted by karlos³  

The price of a nice flask. Plus delivery.
In the past, some people have been a lot more generous than that, particularly if they are sharing some of their surplus chems. But that will give a rough idea.

arkoma - 24-9-2020 at 16:32

thread bump

nzlostpass - 25-9-2020 at 00:28

Count me in!

I'm in. Unsure what we have here in NZ that might be sort after elsewhere but im sure i can think of or order something interesting.
I bet whoever Carl gets will be in for a treat! :)

j_sum1 - 25-9-2020 at 02:00

Let's see if we can get Twospoons snd AssuredFish in this year. Then you'll have a couple of kiwi mates.

woelen - 25-9-2020 at 03:58

I have seen the Secret Santa threads the last few years, and I have seen the fun of it.
Now I am in as well :)

DraconicAcid - 25-9-2020 at 07:48

I promise not to send COVID masks to anyone who has railed against them in the other thread.

arkoma - 25-9-2020 at 19:09

Quote: Originally posted by woelen  
I have seen the Secret Santa threads the last few years, and I have seen the fun of it.
Now I am in as well :)

Man, my favorite thing here! Welcome!!

karlos³ - 26-9-2020 at 03:11

Quote: Originally posted by nzlostpass  
Count me in!

I'm in. Unsure what we have here in NZ that might be sort after elsewhere but im sure i can think of or order something interesting.
I bet whoever Carl gets will be in for a treat! :)

You make that sound like, well, definitely didn't meant it like that!

I was thinking about some reagents I have and and how they would make someone happy who likes to do make them do things that are too loud and violent for my taste... and left the second part out, because it could ruin a potential surprise.
But yeah I admit, that sounded pretty dubious and like something completely different, without that clarifying bit :D

valeg96 - 26-9-2020 at 08:01

I see there's only two options: send to own country, or send to any country.

Mailing stuff across Europe from where I live is not as outrageously expensive as the rest of the world, so is there a way to indicate that I'm open towards EU addresses, but not worldwide? I used to have a japanese pen friend, and oh boy, sending a bag of sweets was expensive . (Unless it's a postcard, otherwise anything to Asia or south America easily gets to 30-40€ shipping)

[Edited on 26-9-2020 by valeg96]

ArbuzToWoda - 26-9-2020 at 08:56

Quote: Originally posted by valeg96  

Mailing stuff across Europe from where I live is not as outrageously expensive as the rest of the world, so is there a way to indicate that I'm open towards EU addresses, but not worldwide? I used to have a japanese pen friend, and oh boy, sending a bag of sweets was expensive . (Unless it's a postcard, otherwise anything to Asia or south America easily gets to 30-40€ shipping)

I second that question! I'd be more than glad to send throughout my own country or continent, but not to US or Australia. Hope you understand that, it's just that I could pack more stuff into the parcel.

j_sum1 - 26-9-2020 at 17:07

Quote: Originally posted by valeg96  

I will match you with someone close if you choose the same country option. Often there isn't someone in the same country anyway.

valeg96 - 26-9-2020 at 22:17

Alright. I applied with "someone from my own country" but feel free to match me with someone from the EU, if you want.

woelen - 28-9-2020 at 00:32

Matching me with someone in the EU also would be nice for me, but it is not mandatory.

Antigua - 28-9-2020 at 01:07

Matching me with someone in the EU also would be nice for me, but it is not mandatory.

Me too!
Singed up :D

karlos³ - 28-9-2020 at 11:03

Yes please, if that would be possible for me to, I would really be thankful!
You know, in the EU postage cost is almost standardised and it would help alot.

arkoma - 28-9-2020 at 17:33

Match me anywhere in the world.
Screw the postage. Best (<<well tied for best anyway) thing about this forum is it's internationalism.

International Shipping

MadHatter - 29-9-2020 at 11:35

Arkoma, like you I'll ship anywhere. Have shipped to members
in Canada, Sweden and U.K. in the past. Hopefully no bullshit
to/from where I ship. From this now transplanted redneck
(from Maryland/now live in Maine) MERRY CHRISTMAS TO
ALL YOU ALL !!!

arkoma - 2-10-2020 at 03:06

Shameless bump

B(a)P - 2-10-2020 at 03:29

I have indicated that I am happy to have someone outside of Aus. I stand by that, but please don't give me arkoma I just don't think I could live up to expectations, they seem very excited.

arkoma - 2-10-2020 at 10:02

I am very excited. Got some kangaroo jerky a few years back; you just can't find that stuff here in The States. Also a silver Kookaburra. (Thanks T!)

B(a)P - 2-10-2020 at 12:09

Quote: Originally posted by arkoma  
I am very excited. Got some kangaroo jerky a few years back; you just can't find that stuff here in The States. Also a silver Kookaburra. (Thanks T!)

Ha ha ha, also very excited, if I do get you I will make sure not to double up on the kookaburra.

karlos³ - 3-10-2020 at 13:08

I am already very excited too, less so about the receiving though.
Hopefully I get someone who I can sent something nice and suitable making him happy :)

DraconicAcid - 3-10-2020 at 14:14

Kangaroo jerky? Nice.

Now I'm worried I'm going to let my person down......

Herr Haber - 5-10-2020 at 20:53

Signed up !

I said own country but... screw that. I'd like The World please :)

Edit: Oh and I can be Santa for more than one person if it helps.

[Edited on 6-10-2020 by Herr Haber]

Texium - 7-10-2020 at 09:41

Signed up! I'll be happy to receive anything quirky and unique, chemistry related or not. Mainly I'm excited to share stuff that I have since I have access to all my lab stuff but no time to unpack it and use it. Oh and of course I'll have a Sciencemadness T-shirt sent out to my recipient as well...

[Edited on 10-7-2020 by Texium (zts16)]

nzlostpass - 8-10-2020 at 00:36

This is quite exciting really.....will have to "stalk" my recipients posts to see where their interests lie......knowing me, it will introduce me to a whole another level of stuff I never knew existed and now have to know everything about it! Drives my wife nuts!

j_sum1 - 8-10-2020 at 15:46

Time for me to chime in.
This year is shaping up to be a good one: more participants than last year with still a few more to join in. And the enthusiasm seems to be really high.

Yes, nzlp, part of the fun is stalking to find out what people's interests are. But also, most members have been pretty explicit on what they like while simultaneously announcing that they really are not going to be fussy.

If you want to be included this year, you have just over a week to sign up. (Link is in the first post.)
I will send out details to participants by email (where possible) and also by U2U at the end of next weekend.

J.

Signup

MadHatter - 9-10-2020 at 12:23

Finally got the signup sheet to accept my
responses. Froze the last time I tried.
ALL SET !!! :D

j_sum1 - 14-10-2020 at 20:25

Bump. I know there are a few more to sign in.
I will process these at the end of the weekend and send out your information.
:)

HoHoHo.

arkoma - 15-10-2020 at 01:43

Quote: Originally posted by j_sum1  

This year is shaping up to be a good one: more participants than last year with still a few more to join in. And the enthusiasm seems to be really high.

EXCELLENT. This (SS) is one of the things, no maybe THE THING, that sets this place apart from any other internet forum I have ever been a part of. In the ephemeral world of the World Wide Web there is a whole bunch of shallow BS community (FaceBook "friends" for example). With some justified prejudice, I can safely state that Science Madness members are cut from high quality cloth, and SS is a wonderful manifestation of the genuine spirit of community amongst our members. First year participants, don't be intimidated/overwhelmed about your gifting "performance". Some of the coolest stuff I have gotten really doesn't have much intrinsic value, but is nonetheless priceless.

*edit* My FOURTH year!! w00t w00t!

[Edited on 10-15-2020 by arkoma]

B(a)P - 15-10-2020 at 01:55

Plus one to this, last year was my first and I opted out because I thought I was new to the forum and would be intruding. I quickly (but too late) realised that was a mistake.
Don't do what B(a)P did, get on board!

Edit
my first year (on the forum)

[Edited on 15-10-2020 by B(a)P]

arkoma - 15-10-2020 at 02:05

Quote: Originally posted by B(a)P  
I opted out because I thought I was new to the forum and would be intruding...................Don't do what B(a)P did, get on board!

Yes, don't be a (last years) B(a)P!

*edit* If I'm not careful, I might get handed the reins to the sleigh and Rudolph's feed bill next year.... LOL

*edit*
Quote:
If you are unsure about getting involved ths year, just do it. It does not take a lot of time or effort and it has always been a lot of fun. Because, let's face it – half the time your family doesn't get your hobby.

^^^ Half the time is being generous. Think my family has JUST figured out this really ain't a smoke screen for a clan drug lab.

j_sum1 - 17-10-2020 at 15:30

Less than 24 hours left to sign up.
This is now officially the largest SS since I have been organising it. And I know of at least one more member who intends to get involved.

I will match everyone up and send out emails over the next day or two.

J.

Dr.Bob - 17-10-2020 at 16:40

Thanks for organizing this. In this time of social distancing, doing something to feel socialable again is great.

valeg96 - 17-10-2020 at 23:42

I agree: and this is such a rare hobby that every chance to connect irl with someone else is extremely exciting.

Tdep - 18-10-2020 at 04:58

I'm in too, got in very late but keen as! Thanks for organising this j-sum1!
Hopefully it goes okay this year. Have heard people say that they've been denied sending packages to Aus at the moment because 'Aus isn't accepting parcels', but hopefully that doesn't keep being an issue, and 2020 doesn't get to mess with this cool Sciencemadness tradition

arkoma - 18-10-2020 at 05:22

That guy ^^^^^^ is a Dang Good Santa.

Isn't this year Five? Fourth I've been a participant in, and as you all know from my posts I started getting excited about SS in, umm, early September I think.

For First year participants---If you have "performance anxiety", try not to worry. Remember, you get to be Santa for a rather rare form of nurd, The Chemistry Nurd. And AS a Chemistry Nurd yourself you have RARE insight into what makes us tick, unllike Mom, sis, wife, blah blah.

I mean, who but another Chemistry Nurd would think of 10gms of Magnesium turnings as a stocking stuffer? Or actually send/receive that one piece of glass you have been coveting? Not Grandma....

Gonna be a long wait until it gets here (<<little kid part of my brain telling me that) *sigh*

*edit* I gotta say, without our Aussie's, would be a much duller forum! You fellers make a significant chunk of whatever the heck it is that keeps this community the community that it is.

[Edited on 10-18-2020 by arkoma]

valeg96 - 18-10-2020 at 05:44

Kinda regret finding out about this only in 2020, after 6 years of occasional lurking on SM. I'm always excited when it comes to casual trading and gifting chemistry stuff, and this even has a surprise factor.

j_sum1 - 19-10-2020 at 23:23

Emails and U2Us have been sent out. So, if there is an address typo in the one, you can probably find it in the other.
We are on our way!!

J.

B(a)P - 20-10-2020 at 00:23

Thanks very much for organising! Let the post stalking begin! I hope you have set it up so that you are able to get involved j_sum1.

Antigua - 20-10-2020 at 00:37

Woooow! Not sure if I'll be able to satisfy my santa-ee, but I'll do my best. J_sum, I suppose the packages are meant to be delivered around Christmas, yes? Or are we going by some of the European standards of Santa on 6th of December?

[Edited on 20-10-2020 by Antigua]

j_sum1 - 20-10-2020 at 02:05

Quote: Originally posted by Antigua  
Woooow! Not sure if I'll be able to satisfy my santa-ee, but I'll do my best. J_sum, I suppose the packages are meant to be delivered around Christmas, yes? Or are we going by some of the European standards of Santa on 6th of December?

[Edited on 20-10-2020 by Antigua]

You know, up to you.
Whatever you think will be received best.

I do know that whatever arkoma gets sent, it doesn't even make it from the letterbox to the front door before the wrapping gets torn off. He is like an excited little kid.

(And btw, with few exceptions, I can't remember who has whom. I tried to allocate pretty randomly.)

arkoma - 20-10-2020 at 04:34

Quote:
I do know that whatever arkoma gets sent, it doesn't even make it from the letterbox to the front door before the wrapping gets torn off

He knows me too well. I have a "memento" shelf that has stuff from my travels and SM Santa stuff on it like a piece of "peacock" coal from Kentucky, mussel shells, a Kookaburra coin from Oz, etc.

Secret Santa

MadHatter - 20-10-2020 at 06:35

I'll send early as mail tends to get clogged
up around any holiday. Hope my recipient
enjoys the "package". :D

j_sum1 - 20-10-2020 at 19:06

Ok. I have had a couple of panicked U2U messages from people who have missed the deadline.
Deadline is extended for a few more days. If you want to get involved, go to the sign up sheet and enter your details. I will match you with someone and send out notifications in a week or so.

It is fantastic to have so many enthusiastic people this year. This is your opportunity to get involved if you werte thinking about it. It looks to be a whole lot of fun.

(Just a little aside, it might be that late entrants are unable to send to someone local -- international might be what happens -- depending of course on who signs up.)

arkoma - 20-10-2020 at 20:18

Out of curiosity, can the Chief Elf give a clue as to how many participants there are? If he just says "a bunch" then I guess not ;)

j_sum1 - 20-10-2020 at 21:59

More than 20.

The previous biggest I was involved in was in the upper teens.
I believe that the very first one may have been more than 30, but you will need to check with Tdep on that.

B(a)P - 21-10-2020 at 01:14

Presumably those in the first round keep our initial allocation?
I hope so, because I have already placed an order for 1 kg of crocodile jerky for arkoma :P

Antigua - 21-10-2020 at 01:16

Not very discreet, whoops!
I suppose you guys are acquainted with each other's wishes already, so that shouldn't matter anyway... still thinking of what I can get for my, uhh.. kid? Weird to say that considering he's three times my age!

B(a)P - 21-10-2020 at 01:24

Ha ha ha, I have placed an order for my recipient, but it is not arkoma.

Phosphor-ing - 24-10-2020 at 10:01

Hope I’m not to late!

j_sum1 - 24-10-2020 at 14:21

You're in Phos.
Actually quite a lot of latecomers. The numbers are big this year. There is still a bit of time. I will process yhe next batch Monday night my time -- so, 36 hours.

j_sum1 - 27-10-2020 at 19:35

This is going to be a ripper this year. Thanks for the enthusiasm and the generosity. I know this means a lot to a whole lot of people.

A couple of things...
  • Apologies for the poorly edited email sent from my work email address to four people. My glitch. And too many tabs open.
  • Let me know if there are any issues. I recall someone asking for a postcode that was not provided but I can't remember who. I can track these things down. Post in the thread or send me a u2u.
  • If you missed your second chance, you just might have missed out this year. But contact me anyway. If there is a pair of such people, the solution is pretty obvious.

j_sum1. :)

charley1957 - 29-10-2020 at 07:16

I ordered from eBay UK for a UK recipient. Just had to create the shipping address for him. Maybe this event should be its own category next to Beginnings, Responsible Practices, etc. during the season. It’s just luck that I found this at all, and had to search a bit to find it again. Might get more participation that way. I’m sure there are those like me who were completely unaware of this great event. This is great fun!

arkoma - 29-10-2020 at 10:29

Need the Post Code, and please check u2u

Order

MadHatter - 9-11-2020 at 11:46

Just ordered for my recipient. A smaller world
    than I thought. My recipient lives less than 30
    miles from my previous address. If I still lived
    there I could hand deliver the package.

Secret Santa gift

MadHatter - 12-11-2020 at 14:44

My recipient will receive 2 items as a
    gift. 1st item came in today. 2nd item
    due on Monday. Will ship on Tuesday if
    it arrives.

2nd Item

MadHatter - 14-11-2020 at 10:59

Arrived today(instead of Monday).
    Gift will be shipped out on Monday.

B(a)P - 14-11-2020 at 11:51

You are going to give the game away @MadHatter! I have been agonising over whether my recipient has been naughty or nice. I have gone with the safe option and will be shipping a piece of Australian anthracite on Monday.

arkoma - 14-11-2020 at 13:44

B(a)P, It's kinda morphed in to "semi-secret" Santa. With the group size we have, it ain't REALLY difficult at times to figure them out. Actually got stuff from TWO Santas last year. One I had no trouble figuring out, other I didn't.

Two (three?) years ago, I got a package that had four letters written very tiny on the wrapping. I could have easily missed it, but I didn't. One of our fav-o-rite Aussies, who happens to curse a lot in his youtube vids.

B(a)P - 15-11-2020 at 02:47

While I am very happy with the recipient I got allocated, I was a little sad I didn't get you arkoma. I wouldn't have liked to have walked in the shadows of Tdep though, so probably for the best. :D

karlos³ - 15-11-2020 at 08:22

Now I start to wonder, regarding the secrecy part...
    Initially I thought, the recipient one got, would have yourself in return.
    Because that is usually how its done offline, at work with the colleagues and such.

But I begin to think that was a misconception, because this is not really much with secrecy, just a bunch of people in pairs who know about each other.
    So it is the more complex and exciting way, my recipient gets something from me, and I am the recipient of a mysterious person else?

I start to get confused, I mean, not that it matters really, I am just curious if I simply understood it wrong at the start.
    Or am I only lately starting to get it wrong and all mixed up? :o
    I hope its the more complex and exciting system with each person being connected to two others :D

I have to say, the only thing that is sad about this, no matter how it is now done exactly, is that you can't see the look on the face of your recipient :)

Antigua - 15-11-2020 at 08:41

Maybe, just maybe they'll send you a photo of their face after getting the present?
    I'm pretty sure it's the more complex one - I know who to send to, but I don't know who's sending to me.

arkoma - 15-11-2020 at 09:17

karlos3 and Antigua, we aren't reciprocally paired. More funner.

*edit* Wise move I think (I sent a roto-vap, and got a 50ml bolttle of GAA in return, Waa!!!)

[Edited on 11-15-2020 by arkoma]

woelen - 16-11-2020 at 00:37

I ordered several things and expect them to arrive this week. Then I can ship the materials. Santa is on his way but still needs to make one intermediate stop . . .

Sent today

MadHatter - 16-11-2020 at 08:56

Package sent through local post office
    10:35 AM EST, 2-day, priority mail.
    Right now that form of mailing costs
    only slightly more than regular 1st class.
    Promotional ? COVID-19 precaution ?

Unfortunately, the post office on the
    receiving end has been notoriously slow
    in the past. Hopefully, priority expedites
    matters. Wish me and my recipient the
    best of luck. :D

Promises kept.

B(a)P, are you putting a piece of coal in somebody's
    Christmas stocking ? That would work for me because
    I've been both naughty and nice depending on whom
    you talk to. :D:D:D

[Edited on 2020/11/16 by MadHatter]

B(a)P - 16-11-2020 at 10:42

Quote: Originally posted by MadHatter  

B(a)P, are you putting a piece of coal in somebody's
    Christmas stocking ? That would work for me because
    I've been both naughty and nice depending on whom
    you talk to. :D:D:D

[Edited on 2020/11/16 by MadHatter]

Maybe I am, maybe I am not. ;)

Phosphor-ing - 18-11-2020 at 07:38

Got my package last night. Just like Arkoma it didn’t even make it in the house before I opened it. Most anticipated gift every Christmas!!!

Delivered

MadHatter - 19-11-2020 at 15:06

According to USPS my recipient got
    the package today. :D

j_sum1 - 19-11-2020 at 18:15

Christmas coming early for some.

I have completed purchases for mine but need to do a couple of things before packaging. Depending on shipping times, it might be that deliveries occur spread out over a month. But I will try to synchronise.

IMO, it has been more than averagely enjoyable this year.

njl - 20-11-2020 at 06:48

Not sure if I'm supposed to talk about it, but I received my package! I got a new flask! FYI, it is the only ground joint Erlenmeyer I have. Up until now distilling has been a pain because I only had round bottom flasks. I am looking forward to using it :)

PS: mailed my letter 2 days ago, hopefully the post office is gentle

PPS: if the secret aspect of this is important perhaps we shouldn't say when the package we sent has been delivered

PPPS: In my excitement I almost forgot my other present, a little baggie of coal (I think). I don't think I was very naughty this year but I guess that's not for me to judge...

PPPPS: Not coal :)

Thank you madhatter!

[Edited on 11-20-2020 by njl]

[Edited on 11-20-2020 by njl]

Gift

MadHatter - 20-11-2020 at 09:16

njl, that little bag contains black
    tourmaline crystals, also known as
    black onyx due to its triagonal
    (3-point) system. It's found all
    over the world and very common
    here in Maine.

As for mentioning delivery, well I
    did that 2 posts up from your last
    post.

I'm originally from Maryland having
    been born in Baltimore. I lived here
    as a kid because my Dad was in the
    military. I returned to Maine to retire.
    The last time I lived in Maryland I was
    in Arbutus(< 30 miles from you).

Maryland is terrible for mineral
    collecting being primarily limestone
    and marble. Great for distilleries but
    not for minerals. Maine is known for
    pegmatite, a gem bearing, coarse
    form of granite.

Santa's chief elf said that you might
    like a local mineral or an erlenmeyer
    flask. I went with both so enjoy.

Despite the fact that this old southern
    hillbilly lives in enemy territory(PATRIOTS),
    GO RAVENS ! RA! RA! RA!

P.S. Remember that the RAVENS next
    game is on Thanksgiving against the
    Steelers. MAYBE this time they'll
    dethrone them as the only undefeated
    team the NFL.

BTW, even at 62 years old, I'm generally
    naughty. The constabularies at all levels
    of government don't share my enthusiasm
    for energetic materials. SCREW THEM !!! :D

[Edited on 2020/11/21 by MadHatter]

arkoma - 20-11-2020 at 19:20

^^^^^this is why I start wetting my pants over SS, oh, about September. And with gifts going in a "Daisy Chain" so to speak, the human nature to keep score whether we want too or not, doesn't factor in. I give what I can, always include something local and am not constrained by any other thing than pure joy of just the whole nerdy community here.

You can't buy this kinda "thing" we got here.

*edit* early 2017, I was suicidal. Had 100 10mg oxycodone in my hand ready to eat them, sitting in front of my stove crying uncontrollably and wheelchair bound after a devastating motorcycle wreck. For whatever reason, when i heard the mailman stop, i went and looked. In the mail was a small envelope from Spain. With a handmade gift from a member here, and it was out of THE CLEAR BLUE. aga. Likely saved my life,

Yeah, I love SS.

[Edited on 11-21-2020 by arkoma]

j_sum1 - 21-11-2020 at 01:16

Wow, arky. I did not know that detail.
    Well, you got a good bunch of supportive friends here now, even if we are at a distance.

[Edit]
    I am going to do some packaging for SS tonight.

[Edited on 21-11-2020 by j_sum1]

DraconicAcid - 22-11-2020 at 23:04

Apologies to my Secret Santee- I just got around to ordering your present tonight. But it should get there directly.

nzlostpass - 22-11-2020 at 23:34

MyGiftsAreOnTheWayToTheRecipient....HopeHeLikesThem.....SorryMySpaceBarIsNotWorkingOnMyLaptop

Glassware

MadHatter - 26-11-2020 at 13:34

Right up the road from me there's an
    indoor flea market. If they're still open
    during this pandemic I'll pay them a visit.

It blew my mind that 1) it was indoors
    and 2) they had some beautiful glassware.
    Granted it's mostly graduated cylinders
    and beakers some of which are very large.

So folks what I'm going to do is go back
    and scoop up what they have if it still exists.
    I'll put the pieces up here on the board and
    all one has to do is CLAIM IT ! Once again
    I'll ship anywhere so wish me luck and I'll
    keep y'all posted. The absolute beauty in
    being retired is that I can afford some of
    these items.

Wait for my followup posts with pictures.

MadHatter(THE MADDEST !!!)

arkoma - 30-11-2020 at 06:53

Saturday morning my mailman brought a box he'd been hanging on too while I was ouit of town.

w00t w00t

SB, you hit a home run!!!. I was "post stalked" pretty darn well, and had some "holes" filled in reagent wise.

n-Propyl Alcohol
    Formic Acid
    Citric Acid
    and everyones second favorite DEA list I, Magnesium Turningsd.

I also have a lovely new coffee cup with the "Riverside County Bell" on it. w00t. Lived many a year in the Inland Empire.

THIS is one of the coolest things in Riverside that folks don't generally know about.

njl - 30-11-2020 at 07:58

Out of curiosity what is everyones first favorite DEA list 1 item?

itsallgoodjames - 30-11-2020 at 08:55

I'm not participating in secret santa this year, but I'd imagine it's either phosphorus or iodine for a lot of people. Phosphorus chemistry is quite interesting, it's a shame it's so hard to get elemental phosphorus.

[Edited on 30-11-2020 by itsallgoodjames]

scienceboi - 2-12-2020 at 10:52

OMG finally, arkoma. I was so scared that it got lost because it was marked delivered for like 2 weeks now.

I'm glad you liked it. :)

arkoma - 3-12-2020 at 06:05

my "people" think sciencemadness is a bunch of frustrated teenage boys. they have NO IDEA THAT we are actually a rather gregarious friendly bunch, in a weird autistic sort of way. For those that have never done the santa thing, it is a "leap of faith", but well worth it.

Texium - 3-12-2020 at 11:56

I received a squishy package a couple days ago. From the packaging it appears to be socks? I’m waiting until Christmas to open it, but whoever sent it, know that I received it :D

violet sin - 3-12-2020 at 13:33

I'm not saying when it happened, to keep the surprise alive, but I've received word my outbound parcel has been shipped off by merchant. Enjoy :D

Seasons greetings and merry Christmas

SS Gift Received

MadHatter - 4-12-2020 at 13:38

j_sum1, Thank You for the porcelain mortar and
    pestle set ! To an old pyrotech like myself this is
    extremely useful. You must've read some of my
    earlier threads as METAL is no-no for these apps.
    Just in time for the New Year coming up ! :D

Anyway, sent out some postcards to other Secret
    Santas that truly say "Maine". ENJOY ! :D

Folks, that indoor flea market didn't have anything
    "useful" to us chemists. Therefore I shall look online,
    eBay in particular, for any useful gear appropriate
    to our hobbies.

Note: If any members have suggestions to what
    he/she could use drop in on this thread or create
    another. DAMN I LOVE RETIREMENT ! But I still have
    that need to create and tutor. I especially enjoy
    tutoring in mathematics and algebra.

One thing: Don't ask for something like a mass-spec.
    I'm well off but not that well off.

Merry Christmas Everybody ! :D:D:D

j_sum1 - 4-12-2020 at 14:02

Hey MadHatter. I'm not responsible for the mortar and pestle. But I'm glad your SS has been post stalking successfully.

Secret Santa

MadHatter - 4-12-2020 at 15:55

To my Secret Santa, CHEERS AND THANK YOU !

J_sum1, I thought it was you based on your U2U.

In any event I think Secret Santa is a great event
    for this board especially in these trying times.

BTW, the package was sent from New Jersey, so
    it could be any madscientist on this board. It's
    clear to me that somebody's got my number
    down pat. :D

Tdep - 4-12-2020 at 18:23

Very cool gift from my Secret Santa, 7 small things that I will slowly open, every few days or so! Lots of fun, thanks so much! Great idea.

Haven't sent mine off yet, but I'm still very confident it'll get there on time...

20201204_122636.jpg - 3MB

violet sin - 7-12-2020 at 21:37

Got a nice postcard to put up on the science shelf I see regularly. Thank you kindly MadHatter. Merry Christmas indeed :) I gotta say, that cracked me up after a long work day, thanks.

IMG_20201207_211616563.jpg - 2.1MB

I don't know why the thumbnails come out sideways, if opened the pic is normal though.

The misses was at a loss for where this came from, untill she remembered my screen name sounded somewhat familiar.

arkoma - 8-12-2020 at 18:49

I too received a postcard asking for more bear treats. Thanks Hatter. And I'm gonna call, and if by chance your a nightowl U2U me let me know, cause my schedule is get up noonish, bed about 3-5AM.

I JUST got a parcel posted today. International. Sooo, what I'm saying is if Santa ain't on time for someone could be me, and I sent it regular first class post, priority was priced in the stratosphere. Whoever it is should have already gotten one thing.

This (SS) is the coolest thing, and it just easily works here. Pretty Amazing for an internet forum, but then again the calibre of our membership is pretty Damn Good.

I understand Pagan Midwinter---the days start increasing again. I hate cold, short days, all of it. I'm rambling; Merry Xmas everyone.

Dr.Bob - 8-12-2020 at 19:19

Madhatter,

Thanks for the postcard. I was thinking you were my SS until I read this, and also got another package, not from Maine. I guess people don't alwasy wait until Christmas to open them, so maybe I will open it before then, I could use some more joy in my life. I have to say that this is fun, it may just be better to give than to receive. And thanks to jum1 for setting this up. One day when I have some spare time I should do something fun.

Texium - 8-12-2020 at 19:21

You know, waking up at noon doesn't help make the days feel any longer :P

I received a cheeky postcard from Maine as well! Happy Holidays to you too, MadHatter!

Pages:  1