Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Ultrasonic cleaner substituting a centrifuge in function

unionised - 20-10-2020 at 10:39

No
Ultrasonic cleaners work by helping to suspend stuff in liquids, not helping it to precipitate.

symboom - 20-10-2020 at 11:37

Opps I forgot once a reply it can't be deleted I thought it was a silly question.

The question was could a ultrasonic cleaner be used to precipitate from solution

@unionised
Thanks for the answer and reasoning the only lab use besides cleaning is help desolving compounds from plants

[Edited on 20-10-2020 by symboom]

[Edited on 20-10-2020 by symboom]

Fyndium - 20-10-2020 at 13:09

If the precipitate is to be removed or it is soluble in suitable solvent, it can be coagulated using bentonite or similar flocculant. It could probably also be removed with celite packing.

Harristotle - 20-10-2020 at 22:27

Unionised is not quite correct on this (although for almost all practical purposes is) :

If a solution is supersaturated, an ultrasonic pulse will produce cavitation, and this will make nuclei that will start the precipitation.

This is the principle of the little metallic clicker that you find in some of those sodium acetate-based heating bags you can buy.

[Edited on 21-10-2020 by Harristotle]

Fyndium - 22-10-2020 at 03:27

Before buying an ultrasonic machine for that purpose, try scratching the vessel or dropping in a seed crystal.

I'm not exactly sure if there are any other methods to clear suspensions other than centrifuge, flocculants or celite? Perhaps something that alters the composition of the liquid, something like surfactant, de-emulsifier, or something?