Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Yearly newsletter for sciencemadness

symboom - 21-10-2020 at 10:16

It's almost time help add to the newsletter submissions end January 1

Antigua - 21-10-2020 at 10:31

I feel like "State of Mad Science" would be definietly not serious enough!
That's why I like the Journal one.

Texium - 21-10-2020 at 18:18

I don't think one of the journal names is acceptable for this newsletter. It's a newsletter. Not a journal.

Starting an academic-style journal for Sciencemadness was discussed a couple years ago: https://www.sciencemadness.org/whisper/viewthread.php?tid=71...

Acta Chemica Libera and Journal of Amateur Chemistry were both names that were suggested for that project. It is a project that I still very much intend to follow through on, though it likely won't be possible to get it off the ground for another year or more. If you want to start a newsletter, go with one of the other two names.

Edit: I agree with what clearly_not_atara said in your other thread:
Quote: Originally posted by clearly_not_atara  
We had had another similar thread proposing a free journal for home chemistry, with a poll for the name -- I liked Acta Chemica Libera -- but this effort is much more specific, with no submissions, just a report on what happens on the forum.

So I think the better name is just Mad Science Reports or something else containing "ScienceMadness" or "Mad Science". It also sounds more tractable because honestly neither I nor anyone else had the time to run a journal apparently (and I have less time these days).

Edit again: I just found the main thread I started about the journal idea from 2018: https://www.sciencemadness.org/whisper/viewthread.php?tid=83...

[Edited on 10-22-2020 by Texium (zts16)]

symboom - 21-10-2020 at 19:44

Yea i'm trying to make it more of what going on I don't want it to be a journal given the topics chosen as you see. you got that I was going based on what was there 2 years ago. So the title is not as a big deal to me as the content and I hope it inspires others.
I apologise if I stepped on your toes on this was not my intention. A journal would take much longer than this I wish you good luck on that endeavor.

Also there is a published section of members work that could be compiled together and added with the journal you are working on. I'm guessing something you may have in mind.

[Edited on 22-10-2020 by symboom]

[Edited on 22-10-2020 by symboom]

Texium - 21-10-2020 at 19:59

Don't get me wrong, I think the newsletter is a good idea. I just don't want it to get confused with the journal that is going to exist in the future, since it's a separate thing.

symboom - 21-10-2020 at 20:06

Thank you I guess I was thinking of journal as in the non-academic way like a yearly diary or something and yes that would be confusing thank you for the input.