Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Help I don't know how to get or make a cannula (double-ended needle) for cannula transfer

Cou - 6-11-2020 at 19:23

i'm almost ready to start doing air-free techniques for the grignard reaction. i've bought everything i need, except for the nitrogen cylinder and a cannula.

Could I buy thin vinyl tubing at home depot, and use zip-ties to attach hypodermic needles to both ends?

[Edited on 11-7-2020 by Cou]

eBay

MadHatter - 6-11-2020 at 21:13

Link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Pack-Westmed-0194-Adult-Cannula-w...

Reasonable: $2.99 free shipping. Just get your needles.

Texium - 6-11-2020 at 21:22

Good all-stainless steel ones are sold here: https://www.thomassci.com/Laboratory-Supplies/General-Purpos...

They’re kinda expensive though: in the ballpark of $30-50 depending on what gauge/length you want. I would recommend 18 or 20 gauge.

Swinfi2 - 7-11-2020 at 05:55

Can you get a very long needle? You would need one like 20cm long minimum and cut it off close to the base, sharpen both ends so their are 3 points, 1 for gas pressure and the long piece. Bend the needle into a u shape but avoid kinks, pierce both septums and while holding the needle use gas pressure to push the liquid to the second container.
Less dead space, can be flame dried.

I suppose that needs more regulated gas pressure which could cause issues.

arkoma - 7-11-2020 at 18:42

you live in Texas. Feed store. all the needles you could ever use. cheap and disposable.

*edit* semi-jealous. Have a N2 cylinder and regulator, but not stepped up to Grignards yet. Be awaiting your write-ups.

[Edited on 11-8-2020 by arkoma]

Cou - 7-11-2020 at 20:57

I don't have an N2 cylinder and regulator yet. Not yet sure how I would hook them up to a schlenk line. You can buy cylinders and regulators in person at a welding store, right? and connect the cylinder to a male 1/4 barb to lead it to a schlenk line?

Edit: it may not be until like jan 2021 that I will be doing home grignard reactions. A lot of equipment is from china and is taking a long time to ship.

[Edited on 11-8-2020 by Cou]

unionised - 8-11-2020 at 02:34

Get some thin stainless steel tubing and file each end to a point.

Swinfi2 - 8-11-2020 at 06:04

It was a schlenk I was using, I think it was just an oil lock on the outlet to prevent overpressure and show gas flow. Iirc it was just a case of cracking the valve carefully.

Was a good few years back so its a little fuzzy.