Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Methylphosphonic difluoride reaction

KatieMetzger - 27-2-2011 at 19:34

I read that the nerve agent Sarin when used as a binary weapon is produced by the reaction of methylphosphonic difluoride with seventy two percent isopropyl alcohol and twenty eight percent isopropylamine. I can't, however, find any information about how this reaction works.

I'm just looking to understand the reaction mechanism. It isn't really explained anywhere.

Paddywhacker - 27-2-2011 at 23:51

This thread will surely be moved into the beginning section, but anyway, what research have you done. Have you drawn out the structures of the compounds involved? If you did then the reaction should be fairly obvious.

I remember reading about it in the Encyclopedia of Science and Technology at my school library, 45 years ago, so you should be able to answer your own question, unless you are trolling.

KatieMetzger - 28-2-2011 at 04:42

I've drawn out the structures and I can figure out the reaction between the methylphosphonic difluoride and the isopropyl alcohol. What I don't understand is the role that isopropylamine plays. I understand that it's some sort of catalyst but not the mechanism.

I'm sorry if I've offended the community with my ignorance.

mr.crow - 28-2-2011 at 07:36

The amine will absorb the HF produced by the reaction and keep everything basic.

Don't know why triethylamine wouldn't work like with acid chlorides. Maybe F behaves differently

KatieMetzger - 28-2-2011 at 08:30

Thanks. So does the reaction work like:

HF + iPr-NH2 ---> iPr-NH3 (+) + F (-)

?

Forgive me if my method of typing this in is irritating.