Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Selenides easy preparation method (?)

vano - 14-2-2021 at 11:57

Hi. I found some information about synthesis of cobalt selenide.

Copied:
Place the cobalt selenite in a 10% sodium hydroxide solution, stir, drop by drop into the 10% sodium hydroxide solution of sodium thiosulfate , wait until the color of the reaction solution no longer changes, filter after standing, and use water and Wash with 5% hydrochloric acid and dry to obtain CoSe.

My experience:
I tried this. There Also mentioned that it is a yellow solid. When i added Co selenite in NaOH solution it becomes blue, next when i added thiosulfate, solution become clear. And product was dark yellow solid, but is was yellow.

I wonder if it acts similarly on other selenites, for example cadmium selenite.

vano - 14-2-2021 at 12:21

It really works. In the case of copper I did everything the same way. Look at copper selenide precipitated. I heated it up 5-10 minutes.

IMG_20210215_001625.jpg - 3.8MB

woelen - 14-2-2021 at 13:21

How can you be so sure that it is CuSe?

Try the following experiment:
- Dissolve some Na2S2O3 in water.
- In a separate test tube, dissolve some CuSO4 in water.
- Drip the blue solution into the colorless thiosulfate solution --> You get a bright yellow liquid, possibly with some bright yellow precipitate.
- Heat the liquid (or let stand for a long time) --> The yellow material turns black.

The black material is CuS.

So, your material may be CuSe, or CuS, or maybe some mix of both?

Lion850 - 14-2-2021 at 16:36

Hi Woelen what is the bright yellow product (solution and possible solid) that you mention above? Sounds interesting :)

clearly_not_atara - 14-2-2021 at 17:52

This reaction doesn't make sense without stoichiometry. I assume the following reaction is possible:

SeO3(2-) + 6 S2O3(2-) + 6 H+ >> Se(2-) + 3 S4O6(2-) + 6 H2O

But the low activity of hydronium makes it at least implausible, so I think something else must be going on.

This should not be possible:

2 SeO3(2-) + 3 S2O3(2-) + 3 OH(-) >> 2 Se(2-) + 6 SO3(2-) + 3 H(+)

...right? Or maybe it is? Maybe only when there's a transition metal to stabilize Se(2-)?

vano - 14-2-2021 at 23:36

Woelen: i don know if it mixture. In the case of cobalt, it was written that cobalt selenide would be precipitated only. I will try CdSe. If it will be a mixture of yellow sulfide and red selenide I will guess.

Maybe selenide anion is more easy to form then sulfide. I don't know Why they wrote a lie.

woelen - 15-2-2021 at 00:01

I have written a webpage about the reaction between copper sulfate and sodium thiosulfate, several years ago. The dark solid, which is formed, is CuS, the yellow material most likely is a complex of copper(II) with thiosulfate. It may also be a copper(I) species.

https://woelen.homescience.net/science/chem/riddles/copper+t...

vano - 15-2-2021 at 00:08

I dissolved insoluble selenite dihydrate in hydroxide solution an next i added thiosulfate. I think this reaction is different. Do you have any idea how to test. I think i will add acid and I will observe if red selenium is formed, I will try to measure the mass of this selenium, but it will be too small and may fail.