Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Chloramine-T, making iodine monochloride

vano - 1-12-2021 at 11:36

Hi, i bought Chloramine-T, i read "It converts iodide to iodine monochloride (ICl)" in wikipedia. i'm just interested if i can make pure iodine monochloride with this reaction. I need practical advice. If anyone has another interesting idea tell me.

vano - 3-12-2021 at 10:54

It works. I just heated up mixture of Chloramine-T and iodine. I will try larger volumes.

IMG_20211203_224924.jpg - 2.1MB

sauveurdumonde - 3-12-2021 at 13:37

That's very cool, now, what do you plan to use the ICl for?

This isn't exactly a useful synthesis, but you could try reacting it with unsaturated fats, and the resulting halogenated fat with NaOH, making chloro-iodo "soaps". Then compare the soap's properties based on whether or not it's halogenated or something.

Just a fun idea, even if it's a waste of precious iodine

vano - 4-12-2021 at 08:27

interesting idea thanks. to tell you truth i don't have idea about the interhalogen, in this particular reaction, i was more concentrated on properties of chloramine - T, than product itself.

Bedlasky - 4-12-2021 at 22:22

Quote: Originally posted by sauveurdumonde  
That's very cool, now, what do you plan to use the ICl for?

This isn't exactly a useful synthesis, but you could try reacting it with unsaturated fats, and the resulting halogenated fat with NaOH, making chloro-iodo "soaps". Then compare the soap's properties based on whether or not it's halogenated or something.

Just a fun idea, even if it's a waste of precious iodine

Actually, this reaction is very useful in analysis of food. Iodine monochloride and iodine monobromide are used to determine iodine number of oils. Excess of reagent is then determined by iodometry.