Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Hydrogen storage on CDs: breakthrough ?

metalresearcher - 27-12-2021 at 11:52

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/plasma-kinetics-may-revol...

This is about storing H2 in magnesium making MgH2 on CD like disks or on ribbon made of Mg. The H2 can be restored by a laser, just like playing music by a CD player, is the story. That would be a breakthrough as it is a lot lighter than compressed H2 to 700 bar or liquified H2 to -253 C.

https://youtu.be/U7CCq4oBgw4

But I don't believe in it. Too good to be true. Music is data and not a substance, so the comparison of a substance like H2 with music is wrong. And they claim it takes even less space than liquid H2. WTF ?? Liquid H2 is the most compact form to store hydrogen.
This appears to be a claim like Fleischmann and Pons with their 'cold fusion' hoax in 1989.

Morgan - 27-12-2021 at 12:41

It's interesting there's more hydrogen in a liter of methanol or a liter of water than a liter of hydrogen.

phlogiston - 27-12-2021 at 13:39

It's an extremely vague article, and magnesium is not mentioned anywhere in it. They say 'nano graphite film', whatever that means.

Honestly, it just sounds like someone is running out of their research budget and trying desperately to acquire some kind of investment based on nothing substantial.

There are many materials that are able to absorb hydrogen to reach a higher H2 density than liquid H2 (not counting the absorbing material itself). Just read the wikipedia page on hydrogen storage.

[Edited on 27-12-2021 by phlogiston]

Ubya - 27-12-2021 at 21:08

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7CCq4oBgw4 (i don't like this guy since he understands little to nothing of what he is saying and puts very little thought, just riding this scams to get views)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8NQkOeRNpg and here you have the busted version of this idea

when it sounds too good to be true, it is too good to be true

mysteriusbhoice - 28-12-2021 at 11:35

overall unless a hydride can store more H2 than compressing it and it taking less energy to produce the hydride than to compress the equivalent amount of H2 and ofc it must take a smaller volume than atm pressure H2.
That or the hydride itself is a burnable fuel and I was gonna say battery but those already exist as nickel metal hydride batteries and are pretty well established and Lithium ions beat it in terms of energy density.

macckone - 31-12-2021 at 08:34

carbon tetrahydride is an excellent hydrogen storage method.
I produce a fair amount daily depending on diet.

Ubya - 1-1-2022 at 00:32

Quote: Originally posted by macckone  
carbon tetrahydride is an excellent hydrogen storage method.
I produce a fair amount daily depending on diet.

farting your car to work can have a different meaning nown lol

Fyndium - 3-1-2022 at 02:10

Ah, the bad old hydrogen thing.

Hydrogen occupies about 70kg per M3 when liquefied, with energy density of 140MJ/kg. Gasoline occupies about 700, and has about 50MJ/kg. Methane and LPG about 500, for 55. LPG needs about 10bar to stay put, methane a crapload more, unless frozen to -160C. Hydrogen? Was it 400 or 1000 bar, however quite a lot, and it also diffuses through everything else except heavy metal coatings and causes hydrogen embrittlement along the way, turning strong steels into glass fragile crap.

From numbers perspective it would be much more interesting having metal oxide batteries, which can have energy densities up to 137MJ/kg(boron) when oxidized.

clearly_not_atara - 3-1-2022 at 08:29

Liquid ammonia actually has a higher energy density as fuel than liquid hydrogen and it's way easier to compress. "Only" about 14% of the chemical energy is lost by converting H2 to NH3. And direct-ammonia fuel cells are possible.

So whenever you consider a hydrogen storage concept, the first question is: does it beat ammonia?

In this case, I'm wondering how much H2 can be absorbed on the ribbon without losing flexibility, and what happens if it breaks? But overall, I would not guess it beats ammonia.