Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Acquire trimesic acid.

goose - 22-3-2022 at 09:49

All of the online sources of trimesic acid I can find are prohibitively expensive. Would a synthesis from toluene be the best option (The only problem with that is that I cannot get aluminum trichloride)?

Tsjerk - 22-3-2022 at 10:54

I had to Google that one, but how much do you need? And do you have a reference to the synth from toluene? If all you need is a little maybe you can work out something with in situ generated AlCl3?

Texium - 22-3-2022 at 11:04

There’s some discussion in the benzene sticky thread about disproportionation of toluene to benzene and mesitylene using catalytic AlCl3, and some speculation about generating it in situ, but I don’t know if anyone ever got around to trying it, because I haven’t read all 14 pages of that thread.

mackolol - 22-3-2022 at 13:28

http://www.orgsyn.org/demo.aspx?prep=CV1P0341

goose - 23-3-2022 at 09:11

Quote: Originally posted by Tsjerk  
I had to Google that one, but how much do you need?

Not much, only 10-20ml.
Thanks Mackolol that route looks better than using methyl halides. Mesitylene to trimesic shouldn't be to bad, I plan on following a procedure for tolulene oxidation, except increasing the amount of KMnO4. That seems like the best option.

Organikum - 26-7-2022 at 11:47

Toluene (dry) + Aluminium (even fol works) + iodine. Boil boil boil and then boil it a little bit longer.

In situ formed AlI3 works even better then AlCl3, workup is by simple fractional distillation.

courtesy of Osmium at the HIVE

/ORG

clearly_not_atara - 27-7-2022 at 02:52

I have my doubts about Osmium but I think the chemistry there makes sense.