Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Secret Santa and Card Exchange – has begun.

Pages:  1  

j_sum1 - 25-9-2022 at 21:37

Here is the sign up sheet for this year's SS. These are the details you need to know.
  • Process will be similar to previous years. So no big surprises. More explanation can be found on the sign-up form.
  • New participants welcome. It has been a lot of fun.
  • A new option for this year – A postcard exchange. Send a postcard (or anything else envelope sized) to three other members. This means all can participate cheaply if so desired. It also opens up more options for international interaction, which is always fun.
  • Cut off date for signing up will be 28 October. I will send you your recipient's details via U2U and email (if provided) before the end of October.

Post comments in this thread if needed. I for one am really looking forward to it – always a highlight of the year. It is always great to have an influx of newbies. So ask questions if you have any.

https://forms.gle/4PhmuG14DuQJvx2fA

[Edited on 1-11-2022 by j_sum1]

B(a)P - 26-9-2022 at 01:38

I am in for both. Looking forward to it. Thanks so much for organising this again J!

Secret Santa 2022

MadHatter - 26-9-2022 at 05:42

All signed up.

arkoma - 26-9-2022 at 10:44

Coolness. I know we should have at least one new participant, as Organikum sez he's in. It's a lot of fun Org, think this will be year five for me

arkoma - 26-9-2022 at 10:49

J_sum, I'ma gonna put this here, so those that are hesitant can see the "cultural norms" (rules a little to much) of our little tradition.

2022 Science Madness Secret Santa and Postcard Exchange
    It is that time of year again. I know this is a highlight for so many. If you have not ever participated in SMSS, now is a great opportunity to join in the fun.

There is a new option for this year – a postcard exchange. If you sign up for this you will be given the mailing address of three other SM members and you can snail-mail them a postcard from your region or something similar envelope-sized. This means that it will be possible to be involved with minimal expense and no package-shipping costs.

Sign up cut-off will be Friday 28 October. I will allocate partners and send them out before the end of that weekend. This will give seven weeks to research, purchase, and ship to synchronise timetables with the fat man in the red suit. Late sign-ups have been possible in the past, but it is a lot easier to do this in one batch.

For guidance in what to get, consider the following:
    * Look closely at the person's wishlist. (And for that matter, put a bit of detail into your own wishlist.)
    * Do some online stalking to find out about the kinds of projects and interests your recipient is into.
    * In terms of expense - something about the value of a nice flask is roughly appropriate. Although there are ways of being generous even if you are strapped for cash.
    * Shipping can be a big part of the expense and you can save money by drop-shipping.
    * Sometimes the most valued gifts are local items sent to someone far away. What might be cheap to you could be really valuable to someone else.
    * Think about local foods, local mineral samples,or anything unique to your area. They are always interesting.
    * Some people really enjoy getting a mystery chemical to analyse.
    * You might already have a gift at no expense. Are there things in your lab that you have excess of?

A final note -- if your circumstanes change or you get caught out with bad shipping times or anything else that is likely to make your gift late (or non-existent), please let me and/or your recipient know. (a) there may be a workaround. (b) a little up-front disappointment is better than having participants feeling ripped off.

j_sum1 - 26-9-2022 at 17:17

Four signed up already. And I have had U2Us from a few members saying that they will be on board again. (Including one who said this is the highlight of Christmas for him, but not to tell his wife because she thinks he likes all the other stuff.)
    Hilarious.

Thanks for posting that, Arky.

Phosphor-ing - 27-9-2022 at 02:24

I’m in. The anticipation is already killing me. ;)

Admagistr - 27-9-2022 at 06:40

I signed up for exchange of postcards, next time maybe even SS;-)!

Texium - 27-9-2022 at 08:37

Signed up! I regretted skipping last year and missing out on the fun. But now I'm back in it, and I have lots of fun stuff to give away this year!

j_sum1 - 30-9-2022 at 01:52

Bump.

Just keeping this on the "today's posts" page.
    Participants are trickling in. Plenty of room for more.

j_sum1 - 6-10-2022 at 03:25

Entries still trickling in, but the numbers are not real high.
    I am sure there are some like me who have not signed on yet but intend to. (My wish list for Santa's lap is growing.)

I would hat for anyone to miss out.

SnailsAttack - 12-10-2022 at 09:46

I might be in. Will see if I can prepare some stuff fun enough to be worth sending :)

B(a)P - 12-10-2022 at 11:27

Quote: Originally posted by SnailsAttack  
    I might be in. Will see if I can prepare some stuff fun enough to be worth sending :)

I encourage you to participate SnailsAttack. It is a lot of fun and you don't need to be able to send exotic chemicals, equipment or glassware if these items are not accessible to you. SS is certainly not meant to be exclusive, you are limited only by your imagination/forum stalking skills. You could send interesting food items (as appropriate for the time in transit/local customs requirements), local mineral samples or just something interesting from your local area.
    I have not seen anyone post that they regretted participating, but many have posted they regretted not participating.

violet sin - 12-10-2022 at 18:27

I've just completed my entrant form. Love this part. Love this forum. Thanks for doing this again J

Dr.Bob - 13-10-2022 at 11:24

Just signed up, look forward to doing it again. This is a great way to celebrate.

j_sum1 - 17-10-2022 at 14:41

Bumping this again.
    The window will be closing soon and I would hate for anyone to miss out.

arkoma - 17-10-2022 at 22:09

I have some mussel shells and a piece of coal from Kentucky, sand from a mine under Paris, a piece of limestone from Lourdes, a bear postcard from Maine, a coffee mug from Riverside California and an Australian $1 Kookaburra off the top of my head. All of these things from around the world from various Secret Santa's are actually pretty prized possessions of mine, they don't get used up, and were economical for the senders. Sentimentals, I still get joy out of them.

My point is, don't sell yourself short about what you may or may not be able to do. Also, this is a daggum "nerd to nerd" gift exchange, and as the old saying goes, "it takes one to know one."

j_sum1 - 18-10-2022 at 16:53

Quote: Originally posted by arkoma  

I have some mussel shells and a piece of coal from Kentucky, sand from a mine under Paris, a piece of limestone from Lourdes, a bear postcard from Maine, a coffee mug from Riverside California and an Australian $1 Kookaburra off the top of my head. All of these things from around the world from various Secret Santa's are actually pretty prized possessions of mine, they don't get used up, and were economical for the senders. Sentimentals, I still get joy out of them.

My point is, don't sell yourself short about what you may or may not be able to do. Also, this is a daggum "nerd to nerd" gift exchange, and as the old saying goes, "it takes one to know one."

Which is an excellent advertisement for going international in the SS exchange.

SnailsAttack - 18-10-2022 at 18:37

I understand completely.

arkoma - 19-10-2022 at 17:29

I opted out of international this year because of the reagents I have to share, but it might be a fiasco incountry as I've already tipped off my Post Mistress. Oops.

arkoma - 22-10-2022 at 00:43

BUMP

Phosphor-ing - 23-10-2022 at 05:31

Please get in touch with someone if you aren’t going to be able to get a gift/postcard out in time. I received nothing last year and it doesn’t feel good. Mine might have been lost in the mail or something else so I’m not mad or anything, but it did hurt.

j_sum1 - 23-10-2022 at 06:05

You should have mentioned something to me.
    This has only happened a few times and it is not in the spirit of things.

In the past, when there has been genuine and unexpected difficulties, I have been able to organise at least something. There are such generous people around here and some have offered to contribute to others and not just the person they were allocated.

Phosphor-ing - 26-10-2022 at 05:25

Bump. To everyone sitting on the fence. This is a lot of fun. Can’t wait to figure out what to send my recipient. And then wait in eager anticipation like a kid on Christmas morning to receive my own gift.

P.S. I never wait till Christmas to open it. Sometimes I don’t even get back in the house.

j_sum1 - 26-10-2022 at 23:19

Yay!
    I finally got around to signing myself up for this. (I can excuse myself for being a bit tardy.)

Here are some stats you might find interesting…
    I am really happy that so many are interested in the postcard exchange. Just quietly, I think that might be the highlight this year.

sm1.png - 15kB
    sm2.png - 20kB
    sm3.png - 32kB

zeroone - 27-10-2022 at 21:40

Sign me up for postcards please.

j_sum1 - 27-10-2022 at 23:02

Quote: Originally posted by zeroone  
    Sign me up for postcards please.

Use the link at the top of the thread.
    :)

j_sum1 - 28-10-2022 at 02:07

I will process the sign ups in about 48 hour.
    I notice that a few regulars have not yet signed up - including a mod or two.

So time to move if you have not already.
    Or, as they say in my home country, rattle your dags.

arkoma - 29-10-2022 at 01:39

bump

j_sum1 - 30-10-2022 at 01:49

Extra 24 hour to sign up. I am going to be a bit busy tonight.

Phosphor-ing - 31-10-2022 at 07:19

Don’t miss out on this. You will regret it!

Texium - 31-10-2022 at 07:26

Yeah, I’m planning on being extra generous this year :D

j_sum1 - 31-10-2022 at 14:39

It is all happening!
    19 participants this year -- a bit down on what it has been in the past, but it seems like everyone is really enthusiastic.

I am part way through processing the emails to send out, but am juggling this around work as I was not able to get it done on the weekend. Expect a U2U or email soon.

j_sum1 - 1-11-2022 at 04:52

Ok. Done.
    Let the fun begin!!

B(a)P - 2-11-2022 at 02:54

Gosh, I would have expected a lot more than 19..... Oh well.
    Let the fun begin indeed!
    I have gifts for my SS recipient planned, now to focus on ideas for post cards.

arkoma - 2-11-2022 at 03:02

l_sum, I appreciate the time you take every year to coordinate this!

j_sum1 - 2-11-2022 at 03:25

Quote: Originally posted by B(a)P  
    Let the fun begin indeed!
    I have gifts for my SS recipient planned, now to focus on ideas for post cards.

I think the biggest I have done is 29. It may have been a bit larger the couple of years that Tdep did it.
    So, really not a big organisational task.

Each year I tell myself that I will create a spreadsheet into which I enter the data and the constraints (only sending to US etc) and have it randomise automatically. And then I realise it is probably more efficient to shuffle by hand.

I would like to see it expand to over 40. That would be cool.
    How about next year, everyone bring a friend...

j_sum1 - 17-11-2022 at 06:19

Hehe.
    I have just had a fun evening ordering and packaging stuff. I'd love to be a fly on the wall when it reaches destination.
    Now to organise some cards.

Texium - 26-11-2022 at 09:27

Received a small parcel from France a couple days ago! I’m holding off on opening it though, as I usually do.

I’ll be sending mine out this week. Domestic shipping has been fast lately, so I haven’t been too concerned about timing.

[Edited on 11-26-2022 by Texium]

Herr Haber - 4-12-2022 at 05:37

Opening Black Friday orders I also opened an Amazon box with a book.

I looked at the book with a smile, a bit puzzled wondering why my dad would send me a book instead of getting it from his cloud.

But it wasnt my dad ! It was Santa ! Yeepeee :)

Dear Santa, I didnt know about this book (Curse of the Narrows - Laura M. Macdonald) but I of course knew about the Halifax explosion.
    Very nice choice, not failing the statistics. Thus far 100% of the people who gave me a book gave me a great book ! Only usually people know me much better. Thank you and congratulations for your good taste :)
    But but but... did the beakers I mentioned in the other thread come from you aswell ? Because there's no origin, no note and I cant really find any purchase on my part !

arkoma - 4-12-2022 at 08:23

My postcard order oughta be here tomorrow. I have an aerial photo of my tiny town (>200 souls) that i took myself one day while flying with the local cropduster's son one day that i had them made from.

Phosphor-ing - 5-12-2022 at 00:40

I received my Gift over the weekend. Wow! :D I love this! Package didn’t even make it under the tree. Mine should be shipping out this week.

SnailsAttack - 7-12-2022 at 01:10

I am hoping we did not send too many undeclared flammable solvents through the postal system

[Edited on 12/7/2022 by SnailsAttack]

Phosphor-ing - 7-12-2022 at 03:08

Are we actually going to have a “secret” Santa this year? I have seen no chatter about what anyone has received, who they think sent it, etc.

j_sum1 - 7-12-2022 at 03:45

Quote: Originally posted by Phosphor-ing  
    Are we actually going to have a “secret” Santa this year? I have seen no chatter about what anyone has received, who they think sent it, etc.

Well, the secret bit disappears pretty quickly in most cases because some form of identification usually goes along with the shipping.
    (Except when you tell Amazon that it is a gift and ask them to include a note.)

A bit of chatter would be good though.

Mine is sitting under the tree waiting for the 25th. I know that it includes some gadolinium because I had to partially open the packet. Not sure about the other two items.

DraconicAcid - 7-12-2022 at 13:48

Due to PMs, I know my SS, and am known to my Santee. I opened what I received immediately, and posted it here to make sure my SS knew that the package was received and (hopefully) contained what the shipping company was paid to send. I've had some online merchants try to rip me off, so I'm hoping that doesn't happen with SSs.

DraconicAcid - 7-12-2022 at 13:48

Due to PMs, I know my SS, and am known to my Santee. I opened what I received immediately, and posted it here to make sure my SS knew that the package was received and (hopefully) contained what the shipping company was paid to send. I've had some online merchants try to rip me off, so I'm hoping that doesn't happen with SSs.

arkoma - 7-12-2022 at 17:25

Should mebbe be "Random Santa". Heck, the very first year when i figured it OUGHTA be secret, can't remember exactly where, but on the package were the initials "TDEP" in ballpoint pen lolol.

Texium - 7-12-2022 at 21:39

I put my username on the package I sent, so it's pretty obvious. It would be nice to know if it has been received, for peace of mind that it has arrived safely! (tracking says it was delivered Monday)

B(a)P - 12-12-2022 at 00:22

I just received a mystery package from Paris, France!
    I have placed it under the tree, looking forward to opening it on 25 December!

j_sum1 - 12-12-2022 at 02:18

Just found out my parcel reached its destination in Europe today.
    Merry Christmas!

Herr Haber - 12-12-2022 at 03:15

Just found a parcel in my mailbox that I could clearly identify as coming from Santa. Mighty cool but... another ? :o
    I'll keep this one for Christmas !

Thank you Santa !!!

B(a)P - 12-12-2022 at 19:31

I have only just got my cards in the post, sincere apologies if they are late.
    If the recipients don't indicate on this thread that they have received them by Christmas I will PM them so they know something is on the way.

arkoma - 12-12-2022 at 22:18

Christmas card from Queensland got here today.

Energetics-testin - 12-12-2022 at 23:15

Next year I'll be there too..Sorry for not participitating this year..I didnt even see the post until now..:(

Post Cards

MadHatter - 13-12-2022 at 14:51

Mailed 30 "custom" (5X7) post cards today. 24 to members on this board.
    Outside U.S. destinations: Australia, Canada, Czech Republic, France, Germany.

Within the U.S.: Arkansas, California, Georgia, Maryland, Minnesota, New York,
    North Carolina, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Texas, Utah.

P.S. Found 5 of the earlier "bear treat" cards from 2020. Not sent out. Sent out
    newer cards with a different theme. Y'all know my sense of humor. :D

Dr.Bob - 14-12-2022 at 10:22

I just finally got my packages into the mail today, had a bunch of orders at once, so I got slow, also trying to find things in my pile of boxes seems to be slower with time, mostly as I get slower with time. But they should still get there well before Christmas. Put me in a Christmas spirit to finally get them sealed and mailed. Hope everyone is having a nice December and enjoys a break soon.

SnailsAttack - 16-12-2022 at 15:16

Quote: Originally posted by Texium  
    I put my username on the package I sent, so it's pretty obvious.

I thought it was supposed to be secret!

Seriously though, thank you. I never expected to see (much less get to work with) half the stuff you sent me. I'm gonna have to redistribute it for next years secret santa (there's no way I could use 44 grams of chromium chloride by myself).

Mystery compound 2 is a strontium salt; the flame test was a dead giveaway. I'm guessing it's the ubiquitous chloride salt, and probably a hydrate judging by its volatility.

As for mystery compound 1, I'm not sure yet. It's refractory, but it does generate a pale yellow flame if it's heated for long enough (sodium salt?). Your hint makes me think it's got an oxyanion. I'm also assuming you wouldn't send me anything overly toxic. I'll tell you if I figure it out.

anyways, merry christmas!

Dr.Bob - 16-12-2022 at 15:22

Got my MadHatter Card today, great Maine theme there. Thanks for bringing more fun into my week.

Texium - 16-12-2022 at 16:43

I put my username on the package I sent, so it's pretty obvious.

I thought it was supposed to be secret!

Seriously though, thank you. I never expected to see (much less get to work with) half the stuff you sent me. I'm gonna have to redistribute it for next years secret santa (there's no way I could use 44 grams of chromium chloride by myself).

Mystery compound 2 is a strontium salt; the flame test was a dead giveaway. I'm guessing it's the ubiquitous chloride salt, and probably a hydrate judging by its volatility.

As for mystery compound 1, I'm not sure yet. It's refractory, but it does generate a pale yellow flame if it's heated for long enough (sodium salt?). Your hint makes me think it's got an oxyanion. I'm also assuming you wouldn't send me anything overly toxic. I'll tell you if I figure it out.

anyways, merry christmas!
    Glad to hear it! Secrecy is fun and all, but I also like to know that the box chock-full of various metal salts that I shipped across the country has ended up in the right hands!

You’re right on with compound 2: it’s strontium chloride hexahydrate. I almost sent you the nitrate, but figured it would be best to avoid shipping nitrates and other oxidizers if possible. As for compound 1, it is not a sodium salt, and no it’s not toxic. I avoided sending anything particularly toxic, especially for the mystery salts!

Texium - 16-12-2022 at 18:25

Quote: Originally posted by Dr.Bob  
    Got my MadHatter Card today, great Maine theme there. Thanks for bringing more fun into my week.
    Came home to find that mine had arrived too.

Thanks MadHatter!

valeg96 - 18-12-2022 at 06:52

I am going back to my hometown tomorrow. Haven't received anything so far, so I'll hopefully find some mail in January!

arkoma - 18-12-2022 at 07:21

Running behind on my cards. *sigh* had a pyrotechnics incident and was in hospital three days. lost the tip of my right index finger. What's one more amputation when you're already a transfemoral amputee?

j_sum1 - 18-12-2022 at 07:33

Things you can no longer do.

ralphwiggum.png - 11kB

arkoma - 18-12-2022 at 07:52

LMFAO

Ralph Wiggums

MadHatter - 18-12-2022 at 08:38

LMAO, j_sum1 ! You chose the stupidest character from "The Simpsons". Homer
    Simpson is the 2nd stupidest. Mail system has gone erratic as it usually does this
    time of year. My cards were sent out last Tuesday and only 2 have been received
    so far. Anything going into the Baltimore, Maryland local post office have about a
    50/50 chance of getting to the recipient on time. This has been proven to me on
    numerous occasions. I've had mail get to the west coast faster than going south.
    Time will tell.

arkoma - 18-12-2022 at 09:45

Got mine....

DraconicAcid - 18-12-2022 at 10:17

Quote: Originally posted by MadHatter  
    I've had mail get to the west coast faster than going south.

I once sent a bunch of newsletters from Edmonton, Alberta (Canada). The folks in England got theirs the day before the guy in the suburb of Edmonton.

Weird

MadHatter - 18-12-2022 at 11:40

Amazing that mail on occasion can't make it to the intended recipient. In
    Baltimore, last month IIRC, the post office found some mail in ballots that had been
    lost - that is never sent out. They were for the 2020 election.

Post Cards

MadHatter - 20-12-2022 at 10:15

At least the slack jaws in the Baltimore post office are finally doing something right.
    Some of my post cards have made to friends and family members in the area. So
    still just a matter of time. A friend called me last night laughing his ass off at the
    card.

violet sin - 20-12-2022 at 19:31

Thanks for the card MadHatter! Just got yours. And j-sum1, yours was appreciated, came a week ago or so now. Funny how you get summer while im trudging through snow for a tree, cool. One more came from Czech Republic, wow, thanks Admagistr!!! Many thanks to all!

My packages have all gone out, stated to be on time. My post cards however.. going to be late. I've stopped in several places and sent my wife a looking for postcards... Sadly it seems they are not common around here. People knew what I was asking for, but they all drew a blank on where to find them, or where they'd last got one. So I'm going to send some of pictures of my little family, as a seasons/new year greetings. Need to go down the photo booth with a SD card.

I've received one element sample I don't remember purchasing, from liciteria so far, in case anyone was looking for confirmation of a sent gift. Thank you.

I accidentally opened that early thinking it was something else. My bad :( . Had a few orders out for elements from several purveyors of scientific oddities.

I hope everyone is having a stress free lead up to a wonderful holiday season.

Phosphor-ing - 21-12-2022 at 02:58

Thanks for the cards. J_sum1 your card arrived a while ago. MadHatter your card was hilarious. My family has some turkeys for that very purpose. Priceless!
    I also had trouble finding postcards. I ended up driving over 50 miles to find postcards with a “local flavor”. I was late getting them out, but the USPS gets to decide if they make it on time now.

SnailsAttack - 21-12-2022 at 15:42

IMG_3796.jpg - 76kB

@MadHatter this is great lol

arkoma - 21-12-2022 at 23:16

Postman came bearing gifts yesterday. Thanks Santa! (I NEVER wait, kids are grown and gone so no point in waiting)

Texium - 23-12-2022 at 13:34

Received two books on poisons and a sample of platinum powder for my element collection! Thanks OldNubbins!

9C5D9335-3065-4D69-9B29-F60B3CA61D82.jpeg - 3.7MB

j_sum1 - 23-12-2022 at 15:12

Received two books on poisons and a sample of platinum powder for my element collection! Thanks OldNubbins!

That is awesome!

j_sum1 - 24-12-2022 at 16:42

Merry Christmas to all.
    Have a lovely time with friends family, food and beverages.

It is so good to have fellow chemist-nerd friends all over the world.

SS gift is under the tree. I will post pix when it is opened.

Have a blessed day.

Dr.Bob - 24-12-2022 at 17:18

Got a petrified wood fossil in the mail today, thanks to gammtron. It's even slightly radioactive, so more interesting. Maybe next year I can get someone from the energetics group to send me some splosives... It was fun to get a nice surprize.

j_sum1 - 24-12-2022 at 21:14

Samarium (nice clean surface and vacuum sealed), gadolinium, snd some nice shiny keck clips. I am stoked. Thsnk you, SS.

IMG20221225114956.jpg - 2.8MB

Edit. S is next to A.
    I am not drunk.

[Edited on 25-12-2022 by j_sum1]

DraconicAcid - 24-12-2022 at 23:07

Quote: Originally posted by j_sum1  

I am not drunk.

And why not? I drink to your health!

*hic*

B(a)P - 25-12-2022 at 00:44

All the best for the festive season everyone!
    Massive thankyou to my Secrete Santa. Love the cartoons and the tritium!
    Apologies to Phosphor-ing, Texium and Admagistr. You have cards in the mail. Hopefully they are not too far off. They were sent a couple of weeks ago.

Merry Christmas !

MadHatter - 25-12-2022 at 08:52

To all members on this board ! We've had no mail for the last 2 days. Probably some
    Christmas cards waiting for me. Storm damage prevented things from getting done
    or delivered. Power has also been out for 2 days now. That storm kicked the crap
    out of most states east of the Rockies.

[Edited on 2022/12/25 by MadHatter]

charley1957 - 26-12-2022 at 13:55

Mad Hatter - I got your Christmas card, couldn’t figure out who in Maine I knew. Spent a couple of years in Portland when I was in the Navy. Also bought my first car there from a guy in Gorham. I really enjoyed my time in Maine, except for the bar fights at Popeye’s Ice House. Damn Mainers are tough! Anyway, I completely forgot about the Secret Santa this year and didn’t sign up, but still got a card. Thanks so much! I hope you and your family had a blessed Christmas and have a Happy New Year filled with lots of chemistry! The same for the rest of the Science Madness family!!

Dr.Bob - 26-12-2022 at 17:29

Merry Christmas to all, and to Jsum1, a big thanks for organizing this. This is a great way to cmbine science and Christmas, for some of us, we have been more isolated lately, so this is a great way to keep social and have a community. And thanks to Mad Hatter for being the great Santa to everyone this year, hope your power comes back on soon. Hope everyone has a great 2023.

valeg96 - 27-12-2022 at 04:42

My neighbour says I apparently received something, but I'll be able to open it only on the 7th of january. I don't know about any postcards, as I'm back to my hometown for the holidays. We will see! Thanks SS!

Post Card

MadHatter - 27-12-2022 at 14:12

Thank You Arkoma for the post card. You're right. They did a lousy job of making
    them for you. The cards should have been brighter. Who did the job for you ?
    I want to know to AVOID them. I went with VistaPrint for my cards. They're slow
    in terms of shipping times but the quality is excellent.

I expect an onslaught of mail of the next few days. The storm caused major
    backups and outages for the states in its destructive path. There was no mail last
    Friday and Saturday. Yesterday no mail because of the federal observance of the
    Christmas holiday.

On the bright side the power was restored Christmas night.

Christmas gifts from my sister and brother-in-law:
    Warning sign, t-shirt, coffee mug

ES-WARNING-3.jpg - 767kB ES-CHEMISTREE-2.jpg - 671kB

ES-CHEM-MUG-A-2.jpg - 354kB

[Edited on 2022/12/27 by MadHatter]

arkoma - 27-12-2022 at 14:30

Received two books on poisons.... Thanks OldNubbins!

Like to see your bookshelf when you are, say 50 years old. I can picture you in my mind being a professor with a tiny office with bookshelves busting at the seems!

Now, of course I cut the tape on my box as soon as I was in the house. Dr. Bob was on Elf duty for my SSS (semi-secret Santa), and lo and behold a lovely 24/40 drying tube and the CaCl2 to go with it, Thanks Santa!, and of course with some nifty stocking stuffers from the elves. Lemme, see, 100ml Vol. Flask, tiny vacuum flask (25ml) with a Coors suction funnel, my yearly infusion of small glass screwcap containers. Those are sooo handy and I think this is the third year you've sent dozens of little bottles. Very handy and thank you.

[Edited on 12-27-2022 by arkoma]

Dr.Bob - 27-12-2022 at 17:39

MadHatter,
    Love the beaker you got, I have had many of those over the years, still love to geek out like that. And the other stuff is great, you must have a sister who really understands geeks. My wife and brother are just not fluent at all in nerdspeak. At least I have a few friends who are gifted in it. The NMR ones speak geek/nerd dialects that are even tough for me to understand, but most of their words are just acronyms.

Arkoma,
    Glad you got the package OK, I tried to pick some things that I find handy, but not sure what scale you work on. I have used those little Coors funnels for many reactions, so I like them. I should have used a large box, then I could have fit in more bottles, but only had a medium around.

andyloris - 28-12-2022 at 03:54

Finally recieved my package.

Got some Zinc powder, sodium borohydride, p-Toluenesulfonic acid, methylamine, N-Bromosuccinimide, 1,3-diphenylguanidine, aluminium powder, 4-methyl-2-bromopropiophenone and
    mercury(II) chloride (gonna be careful with this one).

Thank you very much SS !

[Edited on 28-12-2022 by andyloris]

Phosphor-ing - 28-12-2022 at 13:26

I got some phosphorous pentoxide! Now, what doesn’t need it’s water anymore? Hmmm…

j_sum1 - 5-1-2023 at 03:17

Got a postcard from Maine yesterday. Hilarious.
    (I could handle some nice lobster, come to think of it.)

This has been a fun year - even if the numbers were down a bit. I have receuved a lot of U2Us from folks who got right into the spirit of it all. We will definitely do this again.

On a practical note, if anyone is aware of delivery delays or other issues, please let me know.

[Edited on 10-1-2023 by j_sum1]

Phosphor-ing - 5-1-2023 at 10:42

Just got the last post card I was expecting. Thanks B(a)P! Hope everyone had a happy holiday season. This really is the best community on the internet.

Texium - 6-1-2023 at 07:08

Like to see your bookshelf when you are, say 50 years old. I can picture you in my mind being a professor with a tiny office with bookshelves busting at the seems!
    Jeez, I hope not! Don’t think I could stand being a professor. All they do is write grant proposals and stress themselves to death.

Post Card

MadHatter - 6-1-2023 at 14:51

Andyloris, Thank You for the beautiful post card you sent me. I received it today.
    Waiting on 1 more post card !
    POSTCARD.jpeg - 829kB

valeg96 - 7-1-2023 at 16:34

I have received a very nice periodic table mug by Andyloris (thank you! it's my first periodic table mug) and one postcard from Maine that was completely destroyed by the rain but I could still see a vignette of a turkey and a lobster joking with each other. Thank you!

(p.s. I'm not sure of how many postcards I'm suppsed to get but this address has some issues with mail delivery so let's see how it goes)

[Edited on 8-1-2023 by valeg96]

[Edited on 8-1-2023 by valeg96]

16731384773436783243187148023826.jpg - 1.7MB

violet sin - 7-1-2023 at 23:30

U2U about post card sent, it was not your imagination, I owe you one.

Post Card

MadHatter - 8-1-2023 at 10:11

Valeg96, sorry about the rain. Next year I'm thinking about laminating the cards.
    Leave it to mother nature to screw things up ! Mail system has also been
    unpredictable this year. I never know with that bunch(especially on my end).

P.S. You're supposed to get 3 cards.

[Edited on 2023/1/8 by MadHatter]

Herr Haber - 9-1-2023 at 12:08

Oh that was a nice Christmas ! New years eve was fun too.
    I enjoyed my time off so much I took some more :)

I too got a postcard from Maine and would totally put a few lobsters out of their misery if I ever go there :)

And Santa... well... you outdid yourself ! What can I say ? A really nice book, mineral samples that will put my own in this category to shame, a mistery metal that I'd bet is Tantalum and last but not least a Science Madness mug !!

Pictures tomorrow with a beverage that will be a reflexion of my mood :)

B(a)P - 9-1-2023 at 12:28

I have just returned from holidays to find two post cards in the mail box.
    Thanks so much MadHatter and Andy Louis!

Admagistr - 10-1-2023 at 00:22

I have just returned from holidays to find two post cards in the mail box.
    Thanks so much MadHatter and Andy Louis!

Although I only signed up for the postcard exchange, a few days ago I received a big surprise from Australia!I got a card in an envelope and an unexpected gift of various unknown metals to find out what it is...THANK YOU VERY MUCH B(a)P]!!! It's only one postcard so far, I'm still waiting for the other two...

Pages:  1