Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Ketamine synthesis work

arclightshroom - 22-6-2023 at 11:48

CONSIDERATIONS: The most appealing aspect of this route is how incredibly OTC everything is; with a little bit of patience the whole thing can be done from scratch from hardware store chemicals, and the overall process is very cheap. For bromination, the best way seems to be only one I didnt try, which is NBS, as mild bromination conditions are necessary for yield and purity of the fragile bromoketone. Second to that Im unsure between CuBr2 and HBr/H2O2, the first one should be the most selective out of the bunch, yielding 99% to quantitative in literature, and the second being the cheapest and easiest way. With the HBr/H2O2 system one wouldnt need to make the expensive CuBr2. For the imine formation, 15% methylamine in water was sadly inconclusive in my experiments, which would have been the best candidate if it worked as promised. The actual best is methylamine gas dissolved in an appropriate solvent (methanol in my case, benzene is also used) as working with anhydrous liquid methylamine was unpleasant enough in the 2g scale, I dont want to imagine the horrors of scaling up. For the thermal rearrangement I opted for a milder temperature alternative vs the classic 200C reflux, which is accomplished with a lewis acid catalyst like AlCl3 in ethyl benzoate. Ethyl benzoate is a very good solvent as it is inert, high boiling and able to dissolve the tar. This way the reaction proceeds smoothly without clogging, its also easily made from ethanol and benzoic acid. I originally wanted to report the classic reaction too, which is 30 mins at 175-195C in o-dichlorobenzene or undecane but by the end of the route I was so done with it that I decided against it. The thermal rearrangement at 125C produced enough tar to color the solvent pitch black by the end, I read reports on hyperlab that mention solid carbon precipitating out at 195C. Part of the reason for the tar and the low yield (27% best run) is in my opinion cumulative impurities in all the previous steps, particularly the imine formation reaction which produced brown solids no matter how much I tried to clean them. This could not only mess with the reaction conditions, but inflate the yields in the previous steps. What if that 80% imine yield is in reality 40% pure imine? Maybe the lower yielding reaction is that, and not the rearrangement. For anyone which decides this route is the most suited for them, I would invest in some column chromatography.
I mentioned how cheap and OTC everything is, but the other side of the coin is how messy and fragile each step is. I personally really dislike the thermal rearrangement route, maybe Im biased because out of the year it took me to do all this work 80% of the time was figuring out these cursed 3 reactions, but still. The bromoketone is so fragile that purification is very very limited: distilling it is impossible, heating too much the solvent its contained in will cause it to darken and adding sodium bicarbonate to quench the HBr caused it to darken. The iminol freebase is quite fragile too, i tried to evaporate the hexane it was in at 60C atmospheric pressure and it turned from dark yellow to black. The whole reaction is generally unpleasant due to the massive excess of methylamine used, which smell never really goes away from the product. Both of these reactions are a surprise, you never really know how well it worked until the rearrangement itself.

Part 4, autoxidation ring expansion route

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP, Hope to do something useful for the community

This route is a fairly new publication that piqued my interest due to the high yields achieved and simplicity.

Autoxidation ring expansion:
20g of 2-Chlorophenyl cyclopentyl ketone are placed with 23.92g triethyl phosphite in a flask inside a warm water bath. With strong stirring, a solution of 5.4g KOH in 200mL anhydrous ethanol is added, the flask is then purged with oxygen and left stirring at 30C with an oxygen balloon attached for 48 hours. The reaction mixture is then reduced under vacuum until the majority of the ethanol is removed, then 600mL of cold water are added and everything is stirred for 1h. After standing overnight in the refrigerator the precipitated yellow solid is collected by filtration, washed multiple times with cold water and dried in a vacuum desiccator. In total 16.2g of hexanone are collected, corresponding to a yield of 75%.

NOTE: The reaction can be done in a few hours by using a 1:1 mixture of DMSO:ethanol as the solvent, but in this case the reaction turns dark quickly and the DMSO is very difficult to remove completely from the product. Heating accelerates the reaction (at 50C is done in 24 hours), but milder conditions are higher yielding and produce a cleaner product.
The course of the reaction is easily followed even without TLC:

At about 12 hours the color switches from light yellow to orange, then it becomes cloudy after a day, and on day 2 solid starts to crash out. The oxygen balloon also shrinks visibly on the first day, and by day 2 the strong smell of triethyl phosphite is basically undetectable.

Mesyl chloride amination:
A flask inside an ice bath was charged with 16.2g of hexanone, 120mL THF and 25.6g triethylamine. A nitrogen balloon was attached, and a solution of 24.8g mesyl chloride in 20mL THF was added dropwise at such rate to maintain the temperature between -5C and 0C. After finishing the addition the mixture was stirred for an additional hour, after which 85mL of 40% methylamine in methanol was added at once, and the mixture stirred for 4 hours at room temperature. Most of the methanol and THF is removed under vacuum, and to the cloudy suspension is added 100mL of water + 100mL of DCM. The water layer is extracted with 2x20mL DCM and discarded, while the organic phases combined and washed several times with water. The solution is then extracted with 3x30mL 1M HCl, which is washed with 2x20mL DCM and basified with a concentrated NaOH solution until precipitates appears. The freebase is then filtered and dried under vacuum, yielding 9.91g of ketamine freebase, corresponding to a yield of 78%. Part of this ketamine is kept as freebase to resolve the racemic mixture later, the rest is dissolved in diethyl ether and the HCl salt precipitated by passing dry HCl gas into the solution.

NOTE: The addition of mesyl chloride is very exothermic and good temperature control is key to achieve high yields in this reaction. Letting the reaction heat too much in combination with no nitrogen atmosphere in another run basically halved the final yield.
Also, the paper used methylamine as an ethanolic solution, I opted for methanol as I had it anhydrous on hand. The yield loss (up to 90% in the paper) is probably due to this, since the rest of the procedure was followed exactly.

ANALYSIS: Eluent 1:10 EtOAc:n-hexane, visualized under 254nm UV

Row 1 corresponds to hexanone, row 2 is reaction mixture after mesyl chloride addition (sulfonate intermediate maybe?) and row 3 is ketamine freebase. The hexanone is basically immobile in this solvent system, I tried up to 1:1 ethyl acetate:n-hexane but it still wasnt moving much. For the analysis of the first reaction I just observed that the ketone starting material disappeared completely, but since the product isnt eluting properly I can't tell if there are significant impurities present. Ketamine freebase after filtration shows no contamination apart from a tiny bit of tar that stays at the bottom, which stays in the ether as a brown goop once the HCl salt is formed.
Rf for hexanone is 0-0.096 (very close to origin), Rf for ketamine freebase is 0.77

CONSIDERATIONS: I was intrigued by this pathway the moment I saw it on paper, and the fact that no one ever tried it (and posted online, as far as I know) in a home lab setting made it even more appealing to me. The oxidative ring expansion consists, in a nutshell, in mixing the chemicals and waiting 2 days, which makes it reliably high yielding; if the reagents are pure, the oxygen is present and the heating is spot on nothing can really take an unexpected turn. The reaction is easily followed by observation and the workup is trivial, consisting in boiling off the solvent in vacuum and dumping everything in cold water. One thing to be aware of is that this reaction straight up doesnt work if the ketone is highly contaminated, nothing happens in 2 days and after adding water a milky suspension forms with nothing settling in. Attempts to extract this milky water with solvents resulted in dense polymer like goop, and after trying to crystallizing out solids from boiling hexane a one digit yield is obtained, suggesting that (speculations) large amounts of impurities may react with the reactive peroxide intermediate before it has a chance of being reduced by the triethyl phosphite. The substitution reaction with mesyl chloride is a bit more tricky, but once the right conditions are met everything goes smoothly and the product is recovered with a standard A/B extraction. The procedure from start to finish is generally higher yielding (58% overall yield from ketone, possibly 75% if matching the paper vs just 20% in the thermal rearrangement route) and MUCH cleaner, which is obvious comparing the picture of the obtained ketamine freebase after workup; the one from this route barely requires anymore purification, while the other needs to be refluxed in acetone to get rid of the brown color.
The only flaw this pathway has, which is a major one for many, is the exotic chemicals it uses and the worryingly high toxicity of mesyl chloride. Alternative reducing agents to triethyl phosphite such as sodium sulfite and sodium phosphite were considered in the paper, but those yielded only 34% and 25% respectively. Triethyl phosphite is not the biggest problem though, as it can be made (relatively) easily from PCl3 and ethanol with TEA catalyst, the real problem is mesyl chloride, considering its synthesized from methane gas, oleum and thionyl chloride which is a mixture no sane person would attempt in their house. P-toluenesulfonyl chloride was considered in the paper, but didnt work due to steric hindrance, and no other experiments were made. I wonder if the alcohol could be substituted by the amine by treatment with PCl3 or thionyl chloride, which should convert it to a more reactive halogenated intermediate. Mesyl chloride is extremely toxic, and it was handled with thick neoprene gloves over the nitrile ones, in a hood and transferred with a long needle syringe directly into the THF in the dropping funnel. Its not the worst, but definitely not something the inexperienced chemist should handle, but I would argue that nothing written here should be attempted by a beginner.

Part 5, chiral resolution and isomer recycle

This is a more optional part, but the work didnt feel complete without addressing the chirality part.

Separating the isomers:
To a flask there is added 4g of ketamine freebase, 1.1g L-tartaric acid, 40mL acetone and 2.7mL water, and the mixture was refluxed for 30 minutes until clear. The mixture is then slowly cooled to 0C and the (S)-ketamine tartrate precipitates isolated by filtration. The solid was treated with 1M NaOH solution, filtered, washed with water and recrystallized as the (S)-Ketamine HCl salt in diethyl ether. The (R) isomer is extracted from the acetone by reducing to dryness under vacuum, the HCl salt is formed as previously described, yield for the two isomers is basically quantitative.

Racemization of unwanted isomer:
If one isomer is of particular interest, the other can be racemized by rearrangement in ethyl benzoate. 1g of the (R) isomer is dissolved in 10mL ethyl benzoate and stirred with 100mg AlCl3 at 150C for 24 hours, after which the solid HCl is recovered by diluting with n-hexane, extracting with 3M HCl, basifying and forming the racemic HCl salt.
NOTE: The process is MUCH less tarry than the thermal rearrangement for iminol -> ketamine, which confirms my suspicions that the low yield on the thermal rearrangement has something to do with the purity of the iminol

arkoma - 22-6-2023 at 14:23

nice writeup

SplendidAcylation - 24-6-2023 at 04:27

Well done!
Very thorough; I haven't read it all yet though :D

j_sum1 - 24-6-2023 at 04:38

Thans for the write-up.
Ketamine however is on my list of things to never attempt. Which may or may not be related to the fact that I have had it (in an emergency situation) and it was bloody terrifying.

Fery - 24-6-2023 at 09:20

Well done, great practical skills, a lot of step synthesis with very nice yield !!! Well documented and very nice photos !!!
Ketamine is also used in anesthesia when other anesthetics unsuitable (e.g. some specific situations or contraindication for more often used thiopental) and in treatment of status epilepticus (but here benzodiazepines are preferred). So it is also a life saving medication.

Raid - 2-8-2023 at 15:36

Very good synthesis, I might have to try this after I get done with 4-MMC :)

dettoo456 - 3-8-2023 at 11:27

@Raid If you are willing to discuss 4-MMC and related compounds (of course in a purely theoretical manner), you might be interested in this paper (https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/ja4096472) using acyl arenes and primary or secondary amines to form the a-aminoketones. And they used propiophenone :D with good results. It avoids the use of Br2 and the highest yielding substrates found, happened to be the cycloalkylamine analogues of the a- ketones; the 6-membered ring analogues are (for now) unrestricted in the US. Getting ahold of propionyl chloride for the substituted propiophenones however, is a different matter.

[Edited on 4-8-2023 by dettoo456]