Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Tryptamine Acylation-Cylization

dettoo456 - 22-2-2024 at 14:19

Please excuse my cursory ochem knowledge.

In a similar manner to the synthesis of 2-Aminoindan-1-one from phenylalanine, I thought that the preparation of the corresponding tricyclic tryptamin-one could be a very interesting and easy experiment starting from tryptophan.

Basically, N protection of tryptophan with phthalic anhydride to the phthalimide, followed by PPA-promoted Friedel crafts acylation, and subsequent hydrolysis of the phthalimide leaves the annulated tricyclic a-kept primary amine (tetrahydronorharmane but an annulated 2-aminocylopentanone instead of piperidine).

I just don’t know if to the acylation would be preferential to the 2-position on indole (more resonance stable since aromatization wouldn’t be as affected) or to the 4 position on indole. The 4 position ring closure would also induce a lot of torsional strain on the hypothetical product. 2 seems to be more likely but I’m not well versed in this sort of thing so any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

IMG_1727.jpeg - 29kB

[Edited on 22-2-2024 by dettoo456]

dettoo456 - 26-2-2024 at 12:57

I made a mistake in the first post above; the ketone would actually be in the 3-position of the pyrrolidine ring. So you’d be left with the 1,2,3,4-tetrahydro-cyclopentaindol-2-amin-3-one.

It does seem like the acylation would only occur on the indole’s 2-position.

[Edited on 26-2-2024 by dettoo456]

dicyanin - 12-3-2024 at 15:58

Quote:
Basically, N protection of tryptophan with phthalic anhydride to the phthalimide,

This may prove to be problematic, that is, using the most direct approach. In the Billman & Harding 1948 paper that was provided by Tsjerk in the thalidomide thread in Prepublication the preparation of the phthalyl derivatives of a large number of amino acids is reported, all prepared by direct condensation with phthalic anhydride at 180°C for 15 minutes, in yields ranging from fair to excellent. DL-phenylalanine is amongst them, giving the phthalyl derivative in 79% yield.
However, they mentioned that of all amino acids they tried, tryptophan, tyrosine, serine and taurine did not give the desired derivatives.

dettoo456 - 14-3-2024 at 12:10

I thought about that, but apparently it is possible in moderate yields if this paper (https://sci-hub.ru/https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007...) is to be believed.

And I figured in regards to my main question about the cyclization, that the indole’s 2 position would be greatly favored for acylation. I’m primarily interested in the binding affinity of the final deoxygenated product - the rotationally constrained a-MT and its derivatives.