Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Discussion on lye bed...

auriuman78 - 23-4-2011 at 11:19

Had a discussion yesterday with a colleague and came across the terminology 'lye bed' and could not resolve the chem lab equivalent of this process. Any explanations? Thanks...

Saerynide - 23-4-2011 at 12:59

I'm going to take a stab at this:

If this was in the context of a chemical process, then I'm assuming it could be a packed column with lye and the stream is passed through for whatever reason (ie: drying, neutralization, reaction?)

Usually, a "bed" in chemical engineering is a column filled with packing, such as solid catalyst or raschig rings for separations. It could also be a fluidized bed reactor, where solid particles are made to behave like a fluid, but it seems unlikely that a fluidized bed would be full of sodium hydroxide...

[Edited on 4/23/2011 by Saerynide]

hissingnoise - 23-4-2011 at 13:05

"Lye bed" may refer to an ash-pit which was used in a very old soap-making process!
It may, of course, have other meanings . . .

Neil - 26-4-2011 at 22:44

Apparently having one is bad!

Possibly a solution of lye under a layer of solvent? googling it brings up threads where methheads talk about using it to separate chemicals by solubility. Also;

http://docfiles.justia.com/cases/federal/district-courts/mis...

by] knowingly manufactur[ing] by the red phosphorous method
90 grams or more of a compound containing any quantity of methamphetamine, a controlled
substance, knowing that it was a controlled substance"; in Count II with violating Mo. Rev. Stat. ยง
195.233 on March 19, 2003, by committing "the class D felony of possession of drug paraphernalia
with intent to use," specifically by possessing "Coleman camp fuel, acetone, muriatic acid, lye bed,
red phosphorous, a gallon sized jar, [and] iodine crystals, with the intent to use them in combination
with each other to manufacture methamphetamine";

I think it was the gallon sized jar that got him in trouble.