Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Nitric Acid

oldirty - 19-5-2011 at 06:38

Hello guys,
I'm wondering how to make nitric acid at home
I thought KNO3 + H2SO4 = KHSO4 + HNO3
Please tell me how dangerous and toxic,and complicated this process is.Is there any other ways to make nitric acid,not using precursors.
What I actually need is to dissolve mercury,only way I know is with nitric acid.
Tell me if there is others way to dissolve mercury,I heard mercury dissolves in concentrated H2SO4.
Thanks for help.

ScienceSquirrel - 19-5-2011 at 06:58

This is organic chemistry so this thread will almost certainly be moved.
Nitric acid is a walk in the park compared with mercury nitrate, which is soluble in water and extremely toxic.
It is also a Schedule 1 poison in the United Kingdom.
I would not do mercury chemistry at home. In my opinion it is far too dangerous.
Most professional laboratories only use mercury or mercury compounds if there is no alternative.

oldirty - 19-5-2011 at 07:19

I need something that can dissolve mercury liquid,you know one from old thermometers,sulfuric acid wouldn't work ? what conditions should be kept ?
Or anyone can recommend website that sells Hg salts preferably (no3),ones that sells without license.
Anyway is Hg salts precursors ?
P.s. sorry for English ..

hissingnoise - 19-5-2011 at 07:49

Mercury is dissolved by oxidising acids so H<sub>2</sub>SO<sub>4</sub> must be hot, concentrated!
Even dilute (>5%) cold nitric acid will dissolve Hg to form the mercurous(I) compound but I would heed SS's timely warning if I were you - all mercury compounds are toxic, some even by contact!
If the fulminate is your target then extensive reading on the subject is pretty much essential . . .

[edit]
The reaction of Hg(NO<sub>3</sub>;)<sub>2</sub> with EtOH is extremely vigorous, producing copious quantities of toxic gasses!

[Edited on 19-5-2011 by hissingnoise]

oldirty - 19-5-2011 at 07:59

hissingnoise what you mean by hot?92-94% H2SO4 is enough ?
If >5% would work,I think something like pH minus would work?Or can you recommend anything else that would dissolve mercury that can be bought OTC?
I know how toxic mercury is..

hissingnoise - 19-5-2011 at 08:11

Quote:

That's not the impression your posts give . . .

oldirty - 19-5-2011 at 08:26

Quote: Originally posted by hissingnoise  
Quote:

That's not the impression your posts give . . .

Just I know how to handle it and have conditions to work with it,so is there any products that sold OTC that contain nitric acid with % enough to dissolve mercury,all I can think of is pH-minus,but I can't find any that tells % of nitric acid ..

ScienceSquirrel - 19-5-2011 at 08:42

You are asking some naive questions that indicate a lack of the knowledge and experience needed to work with mercury compounds.
Handling mercury salts safely on a preparative scale requires a good fume hood and a decontamination and disposal strategy.
I would not handle mercury compounds in my shed or garden.
They are just too hazardous.

oldirty - 19-5-2011 at 08:50

Well I have fume hood.Yes I know my knowledge of chemistry is not best but,can you just tell me what products contains nitric acid that would dissolve mercury.Which sold OTC

ScienceSquirrel - 19-5-2011 at 09:12

Why do you want to dissolve mercury?

oldirty - 19-5-2011 at 09:17

For amalgation...

ScienceSquirrel - 19-5-2011 at 09:29

An amalgam of what?

hissingnoise - 19-5-2011 at 10:07

So! You have the metal, but before using it to form the amalgam, you're going to convert it into one of its salts . . .
Er, WTF!

Neil - 19-5-2011 at 10:17

You'd use a Mercury salt to coat copper for illegal gold mining. Of course you're totally uninterested in making an aluminum amalgam...

oldirty - 19-5-2011 at 10:57

Im interested in making aluminum amalgam nothing more.I need aluminum amalgam for some reduction.

DJF90 - 19-5-2011 at 11:04

Yea course you do. I suggest you give up before you end up poisoning either yourself or others. How about making some pretty copper sulfate crystals instead?

oldirty - 19-5-2011 at 11:19

Wow guys I can't believe you are so funny :D
Are you just trolling me or what ?
I worked before with Hg(II) dehydrated and now im out of it .. Anyone could really help instead of trolling me.

DJF90 - 19-5-2011 at 11:29

Because you need aluminium amalgam for what kind of reduction I wonder? You seem so clueless about whole situation that I dont think its really all that safe you playing with soluble mercury salts... perhaps you can prove otherwise.

mr.crow - 19-5-2011 at 11:29

No, you're trolling us

hissingnoise - 19-5-2011 at 11:32

"Out of it?" Guess what? I'm tripping . . .

oldirty - 19-5-2011 at 11:36

P2NP

hissingnoise - 19-5-2011 at 11:42

Whatever!
I'm neutral on cooks :D.
Haven't been into ecstasy in years . . .

oldirty - 19-5-2011 at 11:44

Comon guys help me stop trollin

DJF90 - 19-5-2011 at 11:51

Nope, not touching that one with a 20ft barge pole...

hissingnoise - 19-5-2011 at 11:53

I'd say this is headed for the dreaded big D

ScienceSquirrel - 19-5-2011 at 13:53

You have not been honest with us.
Your intention is to react mercury with an acid to make a mercury salt.
You will use that mercury salt to activate aluminium to reduce a nitroalkene to an amphetamine.
I am not judging you but I am not going to help you.
It depends on where you live but there is a stack load of crimes there where I live.