Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Glacial acetic acid & Calcium chloride

HexJam - 20-7-2011 at 11:42

I made myself some glacial acetic acid and decided to make sure it was extra dry. After checking the web I decided to use some CaCl2 on it, however when I added it some of it appeared (unless my eyes mistake me) to dissolve into the acid. After filtering out the remaining solids I still suspect there's some CaCl2 in there. I was thinking of distilling it again to see if any CaCl2 would be left, if I did this am I right in thinking the acid would come over first? Heating it like this wouldn't damage the acid in anyway either would it?

hkparker - 20-7-2011 at 11:46

Glacial Acedic acid can be distilled. <a target="tab" href="http://delloyd.50megs.com/moreinfo/drying.html">This website that I always use</a> says anhydrous copper sulfate is a good drying agent for GAA, or phorphorus pentoxide.

redox - 22-7-2011 at 10:12

Why would the acid distill over first? Its boiling point is 119 degrees C.

bfesser - 22-7-2011 at 13:05

CaCl<sub>2</sub> will act to prevent the water from distilling over at 100&deg;C, won't it?

hkparker - 22-7-2011 at 22:22

Quote: Originally posted by bfesser  
CaCl<sub>2</sub> will act to prevent the water from distilling over at 100&deg;C, won't it?

Colligative properties, yea.

@redox Now that the CaCl<sub>2</sub> has dissolved that's why distillation becomes necessarily, right HexJam?