Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Flash power detonation?

The WiZard is In - 24-7-2011 at 07:55

Had been argued over high and low here and about.
For the doubters I would note this gem.

Attachment: Flash powder DDT.pdf (1.8MB)
This file has been downloaded 1064 times

White Yeti - 29-7-2011 at 18:10

Last time I checked, flash powder can be lit with a match. If worst comes to worst, a magnesium sparkler can be used.

niertap - 6-8-2011 at 06:50

I have yet to read that paper, but I'm going to go on a limb and say flash powder is non-detonating in the vast majority of cases. For all of the oxidizers(except chlorate and an oxide free nano-metal fuel), they have a negative heat of formation. Also, there's a layer of nonreactive oxide on all of the metal fuels. This is going to slow down diffusion of the atoms as they react, considerably. I just don't think that could ever be as fast as the lowest speed HE's, which have their molecules almost touching. I think that by the time even a medium amount begins to react, the pressure wave would have passed and the reaction unable to contribute energy.

niertap - 6-8-2011 at 07:02

After reading the paper, it seems to confirm my analysis. I think the flame shoots through it, making everything molten and vaporized. Then the detonation occurs, now that shock-wave can coexist with a high enough rate of diffusion(more intimate mixing, both fluid phases).

Phantom - 9-9-2011 at 12:33

I successfully detonated 22g ANNMAL with abot 2g flash so it works

nitro-genes - 11-9-2011 at 10:13

1.25 inch thick steel sleeve for confinement and only 1 mm steel dent plate...yup, perfect for testing LE's