Sciencemadness Discussion Board

long-term acid storage

agorot - 24-7-2011 at 12:29

I am about to leave the country (US) for a couple of years. I have a couple of liters of sulfuric acid (98%) and about 300 mL of nitric acid (67%).

I made the nitric acid myself using distillation equipment, sodium nitrate, and sulfuric acid. It is slightly yellowish due to the dissolved gasses that I never bothered to remove. It is stored in an amber-glass 1 L bottle with a teflon seal made by a scientific supply company. It is relatively robust and have stored it for a year or so now.

I purchased the sulfuric acid in two batches. The first was purchased from a hardware store as drain opener. It is completely black due to (i'm almost certain) collodial carbon. It is meant to be inhibited. I have it stored in two clear glass 1L bottles each containing around 500mL with teflon seals. I've stored this for nearly 4 years (used to have more of it). The second batch was purchased from a chemical supplier as pure, concentrated acid. I have it stored in two of the same bottles as the nitric acid, each about 30% full.

I've now got a dillema. I have no one to give this stuff to. I've got all of these bottles stored in plastic (HDPE) tubs with packing tissue and sodium bicarbonate surrounding them, but I'm beginning to think that that would be terrible if one of them were to get cracked or something. That's another thing that worries me. I think the only place I could keep it would be in my parent's a climate controlled storage unit (I'm a 21 year old college student), and so I can tell them to be careful, but I know they would still be going in and out when I can't be around, and accidents could happen. My parents are also leaving the country but to a different destination for the next 5 years. They will be able to visit maybe twice a year, while I will not. If one of the plastic jugs was sharply struck on the top, I think one of the bottles could crack.

What do you think? Should I just neutralize my precious reagents that I have worked so hard to procure?

Mildronate - 24-7-2011 at 12:59

Just keep it. My friend keep chemicals (botlles puted in plastic capsule with some silica gel) buried in garden earth around 10..20 years, nobody can see them and it safe, he had map for chemicals :D.

agorot - 26-7-2011 at 10:41

But I can't bury them underground. I would need to put it in a storage unit...

Opinions?