Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Chloroform

motrin - 28-3-2004 at 10:42

Would it be possible to use HCL instead of a hypochlorite to oxidise acetone into CHCl3?

(didn't seem to fit into the Garage experiments column)

thunderfvck - 28-3-2004 at 10:49

I don't think so.

Me thinks that using HCl will just protonate the carbonyl and will react with water to give you some acetals, perhaps! Cl- is a poor nucleophile and so it won't attack.

...but maybe I'm wrong!...

BromicAcid - 28-3-2004 at 10:56

No, it won't make chloroform.

However I've been in your boat, I went down a path involving trying to make chloroform from acetone and HCl. Eventually I realized that there was no reaction that was evident so I figured that it might help if I oxidized the HCl, so I mixed equal volumes of HCl with H2O2 30% and finally an equal volume of acetone, I got a reaction but no chloroform :(. Just goes to show you a little knowledge can be much more dangerous then none.

t_Pyro - 28-3-2004 at 11:03

The hypochlorite is required for the replacement of the 3 H's on the terminal carbon by chlorine. HCl has chloride ions, which would be useless for the replacement of the H atoms. Cl<sup>-</sup> is a moderate nucleophile, but it can't replace H<sup>-</sup> since the latter is a very strong base.

Some alternatives:
I<sub>2</sub> + NaOH to make iodoform
Cl<sub>2</sub> + NaOH to make HOCl in situ, and chloroform.

Quantum - 28-3-2004 at 13:25

Quote:

I got a reaction but no chloroform . Just goes to show you a little knowledge can be much more dangerous then none.

LMAO!
From the frying pan into the fire!:o

unionised - 29-3-2004 at 14:52

Acetone and HCl will give you a mixture of compounds, Diacetone alcohol and mesityl oxide will be among them (possibly mesitylene too, if you leave it long enough).
The haloform reaction only works under alkaline conditions.

xSPHYNXx - 17-4-2004 at 03:34

doesn't HCl and acetone give phorone? or is that only under certain conditions?

The_Davster - 17-4-2004 at 11:25

It does give phorone, but only under certain conditions. See the DPPP thread for more details on phorone.
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=179&am...

t_Pyro - 17-4-2004 at 18:41

Acetone and conc HCl should undergo acid-catalysed aldol condensation, too, to give mesityl oxide, shouldn't it?