Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Hexanitrohexaazaisowurtzitane

fledarmus - 15-11-2011 at 14:24

This popped up on one of the blogs I was reading. I wouldn't be surprised if it was already pretty familiar to the high-energy people here, but the write up was pretty cool! And it was new to me...

AndersHoveland - 15-11-2011 at 14:56

You really should have done a google search of this forum before you made this post,
Hexanitrohexaazaisowurtzitane, also known as HNIW or alternatively as Cl-20, has been well described here.
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=3410

You can also read a quick summary of information about he compound on my site:
https://sites.google.com/site/energeticchemical/cl-22

watson.fawkes - 15-11-2011 at 15:34

Quote: Originally posted by fledarmus  
This article may become significant if only for the first citation of the phrase "limb-to-chemist ratio".

killswitch - 2-12-2011 at 11:02

Quote: Originally posted by watson.fawkes  
This article may become significant if only for the first citation of the phrase "limb-to-chemist ratio".

Ha!

But in all seriousness, this PDF from China Lake offers some interesting reading. In it, they mention a viable route to CL-20 with environmental advantages over the cholorotoluene/benzylamide/Pearlman's catalyst route, and in fact their new route looks like something a garage chemist might actually have a shot at making.

Anyone want to explore the "limb-to-chemist ratio" of Hexaallylhexaazaisowurtzitane nitrolysis?

quicksilver - 2-12-2011 at 14:14

CL-20 competes for one of the more expensive energetic materials in private and military industry (@ $1000 per KG in a plant-scale modality and much, much more in a lab). In fact on a smaller scale is may be the most expensive secondary energetic material in comparative costs ever used (not lab curiosities). In VERY high end mission critical operations CL-20 (and true ultra pure, consistent size single micron cobalt (and nickel) powder top the charts of non-radio-active chemical expenditure in Dept. of defense chemical budgetary constraints. The smaller one attempts to synthesize CL-20, the higher the cost rises! That was why TATB was used in MANY substitution papers & projects.

In comparison PLANT-SCALE synthesis of TATB could be mfg for roughly sixteen cents a pound. High quality HNS, HMX, etc would cost barely 20% more and due to newer plant techniques, TNT would cost so little, it's till used.

Se: ISEE web site for cost containment of military, industrial energetic materials by yearly basis.

AndersHoveland - 3-12-2011 at 01:40

Quote: Originally posted by killswitch  
this PDF from China Lake offers some interesting reading. In it, they mention a viable route to CL-20, and in fact their new route looks like something a garage chemist might actually have a shot at making.

So to summarize,
1. allylamine is condensed with glyoxal to form [hexa]allyl- hexazaisowurtzitane. The reaction is apparently very problematic, and they only reported 33% yield. I think the reaction would be much more straight forward, and the yields much higher, if 3-phenylallylamine used instead, because of the bulky benzene ring groups.
C6H5CH=CHCH2NH2

2. The allyl groups are isomerized by treating with potassium tert-butyloxide in DMSO solvent. No doubt sodium methoxide would work instead, as it is base catalysed.
R2N-CH2-CH=CH2 --> R2N-CH=CH-CH3

3. The double bonds are simultaneously oxidized, then hydrolyzed off, by concentrated nitric acid, leaving the hexazaisowurtzitane cage nitrolysed.

[Edited on 3-12-2011 by AndersHoveland]