Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Reaction of triethylamine with hydrogen fluoride

vinothan23 - 9-2-2012 at 19:51

what is the reaction of HF with Triethyl amine in detail?

[Edited on 17-2-2012 by ScienceSquirrel]

simba - 10-2-2012 at 09:50

HF forms a fluroride salt with triethylamine. Acids form salts with amines.

BromicAcid - 10-2-2012 at 10:43

Not that easy, triethylamine forms a number of salts with hydrogen fluoride, the most common of which that I run across is not the (CH<sub>2</sub>CH<sub>3</sub>;)<sub>3</sub>N*HF that you would expect but the trihydrofluoride salt (CH<sub>2</sub>CH<sub>3</sub>;)<sub>3</sub>N*3HF which is commonly used in fluorinations or as a catalyst in fluorinations. As for the detailed mechanism, not sure.

Hexavalent - 10-2-2012 at 16:17

Should this not be in Beginnings?

ScienceSquirrel - 10-2-2012 at 16:37

Honestly yes.
Hydrogen fluoride forms strong hydrogen bonds so it is to be expected that species like (Et)3N.3HF are formed.

Hexavalent - 17-2-2012 at 03:41

Also, I would suggest adding a more descriptive title in the future . . .

arsphenamine - 17-2-2012 at 17:20

Quote: Originally posted by ScienceSquirrel  
Honestly yes.
Hydrogen fluoride forms strong hydrogen bonds so it is to be expected that species like (Et)3N.3HF are formed.

Honestly, I don't understand.

SF<sub>6</sub> gives you d-orbital contributions to explain the hypervalence but no such orbitals are available with nitrogen.

Is this an instance of hyper<i>coordination</i> primarily due to HF species hydrogen bonding amongst themselves?

I'll model it, let you know if it's interesting.

ScienceSquirrel - 17-2-2012 at 17:53

Here is an interesting starting point;

http://benthamscience.com/open/tospecj/articles/V005/26TOSPE...

arsphenamine - 17-2-2012 at 20:09

Quote: Originally posted by ScienceSquirrel  
Here is an interesting starting point;

http://benthamscience.com/open/tospecj/articles/005/26TOSPEC...

Thanks for the impressively pertinent reference.

I've had time to model the Et3N:3(HF) compd.

Semi-empirical methods (MOPAC, PM6) are extremely sensitive to the starting geometry, and no use other than for generating an input for ab initio methods.

Successively refined ab initio comps produce a geometry you'd expect if you focused on the H-bonds, but (perhaps fortuitously) give an N-H-F bond length of 2..586A in good accord with the 2.60A in Ilayaraja, et.al. NMR spin relaxation experimental methods.

GAMESS-US eq. geom. at the RHF/631G(2dp)** theory/basis set level were translated to Z-matrix format for Avogadro display and then exported to a .PNG image.

As expected, nitrogen is completely protonated.

631g2dp++lengths.png - 40kB