Sciencemadness Discussion Board

ligitimate benzaldehyde uses

Lithium - 11-3-2012 at 01:52

hello

i have found an electrochemical route to benzaldehyde in the toluene to benzaldehyde thread, which is quite available for me, but i have no use for it.

i don't know what i could use it for, could someone enlighten me?

i am particularly interested in aromatic esters. i want to make benzyl alcohol, without using LiAlH4 or LiBH4.

Ps. i am not a cook

Li

weiming1998 - 11-3-2012 at 02:20

A good way to make use of benzaldehyde is to oxidize it with a Cr2O7 2- or MnO4- salt. That way you get benzoic acid, which opens up a lot of new opportunities, to make salts, esters when combined with sulfuric acid catalyst, etc.

It would be very difficult to make benzyl alcohol without the reducing agent, though.

stygian - 11-3-2012 at 02:46

Cannizzaro reaction?

Lithium - 11-3-2012 at 03:05

that is a good one stygian, it has low yields though

weiming1998, i was thinking of something not so readily available, as i can easily buy 1kg lots of Na benzoate.

could raspberry ketone be synthesised from it?

Li

peach - 11-3-2012 at 03:07

You could partially oxidise the toluene to the alcohol, rather than trying to reduce the higher oxidation variations.

Benzyl alcohol is made industrially from benzyl chloride.

Len made a detailed post about producing benzyl and benzal chloride from toluene.

Our bodies metabolise toluene to benzyl alcohol. Specifically, the cytochrome p450 enzymes. That's actually a big group of different enzymes and a lot of them can perform interesting manipulations that sometimes require rather difficult glassware chemistry.

You could use the aldehyde to make your own Malachite green dye.

mr.crow - 12-3-2012 at 19:51

Why don't you make and isolate some benzaldehyde just because you can? Its difficult to avoid over oxidizing the aldehyde