Sciencemadness Discussion Board

camphor peroxide

pyrofrench - 2-10-2002 at 10:05

hello everyone i'm a french pyro.
i'am 19, i leave nearby to paris.
my question: is it possible to make camphor peroxide ?
acetone is a keton
MEK is a keton
and camphor as well so why not.
sorry, i speak not very well english !:(
thank you for your answer.
PS in french there is only one forum "pyro"

[Edited on 28-7-2004 by chemoleo]

NERV - 2-10-2002 at 10:18

I think that it is possible to make camphor peroxide. But I may be wrong as my chemistry isnt all that good.

Nick F - 2-10-2002 at 11:14

I've thought of it in the past, but when you look at the structure of camphor you'll see that the OB would suck, and I think the peroxide would be even less stable than most, if preparable.

BLAST_X - 3-10-2002 at 13:30

You should test to oxidize synthetic camphor to form a peroxide or a hydroperoxide.

bornane-2-one
1,7,7-trimethylbicyclo(2.2.1)heptan-2-one
C10H16O

I doubt its

Boob Raider - 20-10-2002 at 17:17

going to work. Camphor ain't soluble in H2O. I don't think peroxidation works well in alcohol, and if you use acetone, you'll end up with AP. But as of now an alcohol soln is worth a try. Although if you boil camphor in conc HNO3, you will probably get nitro camphor or something which you can again try to peroxidize.

Camphor

trillian - 23-10-2002 at 02:28

Camphor are a very varied usable compound.

bornane-2-one.jpg - 3kB

Does exist camphor peroxide?

kazaa81 - 1-5-2004 at 12:38

Hallo,
I'm doing a research about the ketone camphor and I need to know if it can formate peroxides. If anyone can help me, saying yes or no and, if yes, the equation.......this time Google haven't helped me.

Thanx :(

terpene peroxides

Polverone - 27-7-2004 at 19:59

If it is unsaturated (with a C=C double bond), a terpene should certainly be capable of forming a peroxide. Camphor (which contains a keto group) does not meet this requirement, but camphene, which contains a C=CH2 group, does.

An example is cineole, a major constituent of eucalyptus oil, which is a naturally occurring terpene peroxide, and indeed probably largely responsible for its antiseptic properties. I believe it, or a similar compound, occurs in teatree oil (either melaleuca (Australia) or leptospermum (New Zealand) oil), which is also antiseptic. I remember reading somewhere that an industrial process for manufacturing hydrogen peroxide was, and may still be, based upon the synthesis and reaction of a terpene peroxide.

John W.

(this was actually written by JohnWW but accidentally "reported" instead of "replied";)

unionised - 28-7-2004 at 13:25

The discussion on camphor peroxide indicated that it would suck as an explosive and that it would be difficult to make, but that doesn't rule it out.

Acetone is a bit short on carbon-carbon double bonds, but I hear it forms a peroxide.
IIRC tea tree oil is largely terpineol; it might be possible to replace the OH with OOH but it wouldn't really be on- topic.

Last time I checked, the industrial production of hydrogen peroxide used the oxidation and reduction of a substituted anthraquinone.