Sciencemadness Discussion Board

What type of Phenol and phenyl is that

Vikascoder - 30-3-2012 at 10:31

I want to hardware store to buy some liquid for cleaning purposes . What i saw the chemical ingredients in that liquid were only phenol . And in other type of cleaner was phenyl . But when i check on wiki phenyl is a group which attaches itself to others . Does those liquid were really phenol if that so is that phenol can se used for making picric acid

bbartlog - 30-3-2012 at 16:50

Phenol used to be a popular disinfectant over a hundred years ago, but I'm surprised it would be sold as a cleaner in modern times. Anyway it's not a liquid at room temperature.... must have been a solution of some sort.

Vikascoder - 30-3-2012 at 17:25

Ya it is solid at room temperature but what i am getting is a solution of it . What about phenyl

stygian - 30-3-2012 at 20:28

phenyl means substitution of some other chemical by benzene ring. phenyl is not a chemical. Saying a bottle contains phenyl is like saying I have a black.

Vikascoder - 1-4-2012 at 05:17

would it be phenol solution sold in the market as toilet cleaner and for killing germs and houseflies

DDTea - 1-4-2012 at 06:43

Would you mind sharing some more details?

X___What is the brand name of this cleaner?
X___What is it marketed for? (Scrubbing toilets, cleaning driveways, stripping paint...etc)

Vikascoder - 1-4-2012 at 07:25

genda brand name is phenol used for killing germs in toilets