Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Microwave Melting

elementcollector1 - 21-4-2012 at 20:51

I've almost finished my little apparatus for melting some metals in a microwave, but I want to have you guys' input on it first.
Here's setup:
I have a 5" ceramic cup filled first with gravel, then a clay layer, then silicon carbide (the microwave susceptor). The crucible is placed in the middle of this and a clay spout attached so the resulting molten metal can be poured into molds. This *might* be placed in a bowl of sand for additional insulation, or a single brick.
Questions:
-Should the apparatus have a lid, to prevent heat escaping? If so, how would I place that over the spout (which sticks out a good deal from the top)?
-Will the brick explode in the microwave? It's one of those yellowish stone ones.
-Because I'm using SiC powder and not a solid lump, what will be the difference? More heat, less heat, no change?

Thanks to all for any help given.

bbartlog - 22-4-2012 at 06:23

I would expect that you will need a lid to retain heat, unless you are only melting zinc/tin/lead.

rollercoaster158 - 22-4-2012 at 07:17

If bricks exploded in the microwave, I'm sure there would be at least a few youtube videos about it. As for the SiC powder, I think it will be fine. Have fun!

elementcollector1 - 22-4-2012 at 08:37

You mean the entire culture of people who like to put things in microwaves? XD
Goody, now to design a lid! I'll let you know what results from this.

Dr.Bob - 26-4-2012 at 12:52

I would skip the brick, it will contain a lot of moisture, which will suck up your power and heat up a lot. A simple tile or glass plate might be useful to protect the microwave floor.