Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Video of spectra of arc melting

metalresearcher - 23-4-2012 at 09:28

I made simultaneous video of arc melting metals with two cameras one equipped with a spectroscope.
Here the result:

<iframe sandbox width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/35hjMeM_kec" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

blogfast25 - 23-4-2012 at 09:40

Awesome! What spectroscope did you use? Do you have any stills of the spectra? It would be interesting to see if you can find lines of non-Fe elements in the steel spectrum. Or try stainless steel and see if you can identify chromium lines.

Or set your camera to shoot a number of stills, like every 2 seconds or so, then select the best pics for further analysis.

I love it. Please describe experimental conditions a bit better, especially how you achieve the arc.

[Edited on 23-4-2012 by blogfast25]

GreenD - 23-4-2012 at 12:25

this is awesome!

Why the hell would you do this so close to a computer lol

DDTea - 23-4-2012 at 15:44

Looks like you've built yourself a ghetto plasma emission spectrometer. This is great for demonstrations and videos but you may be able to squeeze more use out of this by eliminating stray light.

With some software post-processing, you could probably mitigate the O2/N2/Ar background from that big mean plasma ball.

Basically, record the emission spectrum of the arc when it's not contacting any metal, then subtract that spectrum from that of the arc melting a metal.

Either way, keep up the good work and let us know where this project is going!

Ozone - 23-4-2012 at 15:51

Excellent real-world example of AES!

O3

rannyfash - 25-4-2012 at 13:54

watch out for O3 and NO, also try vapourising zinc, it plasma a lovely blue/violet colour, or vaporise carbon in a vacuum and dissolve the sublimed material in toluene, whalah buckyballs, high temperature arcs are really good for chemical synthesis if you have fire cement to build a 'ghetto' arc reactor, i made a small amount of calcium carbide although i vaporised my crucible

rannyfash - 25-4-2012 at 13:56

http://www.ch.ic.ac.uk/local/projects/unwin/Fullerenes.html

Eddygp - 29-4-2012 at 12:55

Great video, although the camera could be at another angle, to make the image clearer. Good job!