Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Some ether to sell

kenofken - 24-4-2012 at 15:08

I've got 500 ml diethyl ether I'm willing to let go for $75, which is a little below my cost. It's stabilized with 100 ppm bht and tested regularly for peroxides. I would test it again before I transfer it to anyone else. The only hitch is I'm not interested in trying to ship the stuff and getting involved with hazmat shipping, so it's for pickup in the Chicago area only. Cash only, though I might consider trade for certain equipment or reagents. I'm also not interested in selling to anyone under 21 or anyone with an obviously shady intent.

Aurum555 - 24-4-2012 at 18:50

You are asking a bit much, one quick look at ebay has 500 mL stabilized diethyl ether for $60 with free shipping.

kenofken - 24-4-2012 at 21:42

If someone's selling and delivering at a lower price, more power to them. I can only go by what I know I have sunk into it and the market will either agree with me or not. If someone can sell it at that price and ship for free, I can only conclude they didn't pay full cost for the material and may be disposing of some surplus they inherited.
And shipping this stuff is not cheap, if you do it on the up and up. I paid $25 just for the hazmat fee, plus another $15 or something for actual shipping and packaging. There are plenty of people who will risk just dropping it undeclared into regular UPS or even U.S. mail for a fraction of that price. They probably won't get caught, but God help them if they do.

I would also advise anyone looking to buy ,whether from me or anyone else, to be aware of the potential difference between "stabilized" ether and "still stable" ether. Stabilizers don't last forever, and if the stuff is too old, poorly stored and/or not tested for peroxides, you could be taking your life into your hands.

On the flip side, if the ebay stuff is any good and I hear that from someone I trust, I may use them as a supplier myself down the line!

Hexavalent - 27-4-2012 at 09:23

Sorry mate, you might be in competition for this;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1L-Diethyl-Ether-Ethyl-Eter-99-9-h...

Mailinmypocket - 27-4-2012 at 11:23

Maybe things are different in the USA but my supplier (who sells to individuals) has reagent ACS grade stabilized, 500ml for 32.99+20$ hazmat...

At that price one would assume that the bottle you are selling is unopened, free of contaminents and relatively new.

Just saying...