Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Formic acid descaler available.

MR AZIDE - 30-5-2012 at 10:41

Hi

A few weeks back I discovered at a local home hardware type store, in the UK, there is a product known as Kilrock kettle descaler.

DATA SHEET:https://www.e-secure.biz/documents/897FG425JU/Safety%20Data%20-%20KILROCK-K%20and%20Big-K%20Multi%20Purpose%20Descaler%202006.pdf

Contains 54% w/w which Ive calculated ( hopefully correctly:D) that this is a 14 Molar solution.
It seems farily pure, completely colorless, penetrating fuming odour, 400ml sole for only a few quid.

Have just succeeded in making a small quantity of ammonium formate, by neutralizing it with 10% ammonia solution available from same store. Its currently between some kitchen towel in a dessicator drying.
The crystals are almost pure white.

Dont know if you guys in the USA have bother getting formic acid, but this is one source, thats very useable and Ive found that doesnt contain phosphoric acid + additives crap. :D

unionised - 30-5-2012 at 10:49

Same stuff, different brand was on sale years ago.
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=1782#p...

Hexavalent - 30-5-2012 at 12:25

The brand you're looking at MR AZIDE, was discussed here; http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=19617

You should also have mentioned that the shop name was 'The Range' - a new store just opened near us in North Wales and I got some a few months ago from there.

What was the product you got the ammonia from sold as? I know they also sell a variety of pool chemicals, solvents and 5L bottles of de-ionized water:)

MR AZIDE - 30-5-2012 at 12:33

Hi hexavalent...

Got the ammonia as Homebase's own brand household ammonia. As was the NaOH pellets, and formic acid

On back label its 9.5% ammonia solution........perfectly clear and colorless solution, in a white HDPE bottle. I think it was about £2 for 500 ml........I love the smell of ammonia i do..wooo.!

Do you have a Home- Hardware???......I know that in a local ironmongery shop when In was still at school, it was easy to buy 'Spirits of salt' in a 500 ml bottle , and it was seemingly very clean/ clear 36% fuming HCL........last time I looked a few months ago, theyve still got it........!!!!!!

Hexavalent - 4-6-2012 at 11:20

Nice, does the ammonia have a surfactant in it that makes bubbles when you shake the bottle?

MR AZIDE - 5-6-2012 at 09:59

i dont think there is any impurity in the ammonia solution........

perfectly clear solution, iIve made some ammonium chloride yesterday, and I made some ammonium formate a week or two ago.......just put the crystals into a little sample tube yesterday after being in a dessicator for about a week. . Both samples are pure white!!!.

Also, I went into home hardware the other day........PLENTY of bottles of fuming 32% HCL for less than £3 a bottle,,,,,,,, Prefectly clear solution....no listing of additives.

Nice reaction, when you open the two bottles next to one another......dense smoke of NH4Cl liberated........