Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Silica sol gel as salt bridge

Diablo - 14-7-2012 at 14:45

In the production of silica aerogels the first step is to produce a sol gel, a gel made of silica whos pores are filled with whatever solvent it was made in. I bet that this would make the perfect salt bridge, stable and chemically inert for various electrochemical processes. I won't be able to try this for a long time, but thought I'd post it anyway.

elementcollector1 - 14-7-2012 at 15:05

Anyone got some of this stuff? It probably wouldn't work for sodium hydroxide production, though, because sodium silicate would be formed.

Diablo - 14-7-2012 at 15:37

If you have or can make tetramethyl orthosilicate, or the ethyl version it should be easy to make.

Edit: Also if you have silicon tetrachloride then you can make tmos by alcoholysis.

[Edited on 14-7-2012 by Diablo]

kristofvagyok - 14-7-2012 at 15:52

Blame me if I am wrong but a SALT bridge contain ions what can move in it while the electrolysis goes.

But! When making a silica gel (sol-gel process), then this gel will contain mainly alcohol, some water and a lot of amorphous silica.

As far I remember pure water and even alcohol conducts electricity really bad.

Diablo - 14-7-2012 at 15:59

After the gel is produced one would exchange it into water with a dissolved electrolyte multiple time to remove the alcoholand add mobile ions.

Swede - 16-7-2012 at 06:00

In my other thread, I'm playing with boehmite (al oxide hydroxide) gels... would these be suitable for your intended application?

Diablo - 16-7-2012 at 12:58

Since it is pretty inert it would probably be suitable as a salt bridge in most applications such as making sodium hydroxide from NaCl, but if making sulfuric acid from a sulfate I would be worried that some of it would dissolve.

Edit: Also alumina sol gels seem quite easy to prepare http://www.aerogel.org/?p=1017

[Edited on 16-7-2012 by Diablo]

daragh8008 - 27-7-2012 at 09:13

I have tried to make silica gels from teos on a number of occasions and while the chemistry and prep are quite straight forward I found that the gels normally (sorry always) collapse on drying. I think you would need a supercritical dryer I you wanted form the stable porous gel. Prior to drying they have they are like a really weak jelly and any attempts to move wreck them. Swede, I have also just started working on boehmite sols and have a few small successes with them. I have been able to make a freestanding porous boehmite film and on monday I will be calcinating it to try for a porous alumina film. I'll post a description and results on your tread when I get my camera charged.

Diablo - 27-7-2012 at 10:27

The supercritical drying process produces aerogels.