Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Purification of phosphorus -- treatment of WP burns

Endimion17 - 28-7-2012 at 16:52

Some of you might have seen the photos I've been uploading in the past few days, but as I got really great results after all this testing, I thought it would be best to put it here, piled up in one thread.

I haven't specified which phosphorus in the thread's title because this might be a useful place for both RP and WP, respectively.

RP is cleaned by boiling it with distilled water for at least 15 minutes and washing with boiling distilled water over the Büchner funnel until the collected water shows almost neutral acidity. The main impurity is phosphoric acid which cakes the powder, so after this purification, you get a puffy red powder.

Now let's go with WP. Its main impurity is RP and assorted polymeric, orange colored varieties together with some oxidizable junk unknown to me.
Purification of Laboratory Chemicals (Armarego, Chai) describes these methods:
Quote:

Purified by melting under dilute H2SO4- dichromate (possible carcinogen) mixture and allowed to stand for several days in the dark at room temperature. It remains liquid, and the initial milky appearance due to insoluble, oxidisable material gradually disappears. The phosporus can then be distilled under vacuum in the dark. Other methods include extraction with dry CS2 followed by evaporation of the solvent, or washing with 6M HNO3, then H2O, and drying under vacuum.

I made my sample by dry distillation of mixture of RP and pure quartz sand to avoid bumping and to make a porous bed in the retort. If one's careful and patient, mildly orange samples can be obtained, devoid of sand particles. The traces of residue in the retort are black and I can't identify it.
However, due to the nature of the apparatus (distilling could be done with a candle; it's very dangerous and requires an experienced experimentator, but this is not the topic of this thread) some RP will be carried over into the receiving water.

The first thing I did was to put it in a syringe full of water and to push it through a piece of cotton at the bottom of a beaker filled with hot water. Some of the spheres that come out are orange, some are yellow. They're all quite opaque. My conclusion is that, theoretically, proper filtering could be enough to get very pure yellow samples, but it's simply too hard to do, so this is for removing the worst impurities. This is the filtered product.

It glows, but not furiously as cleaner samples.
I've made it in the shape of a ring and, at ~ 25 °C, it behaves like a piece of plastic. It can be bent in one direction, but snaps without warning if you try to bend it in the original position.

Next thing I did was to divide the sample into two batches. One for nitric, and one for chromic acid bath. I'll describe what I've did, and write a recommendation.

- procedure -

I took 50 ml of distilled water, added to it 1 ml of concentrated sulphuric acid and about two tiny spatulas of potassium dichromate. I dunked the WP inside, melted it and swirled it a couple of times. I left it at current room temperature (~28 °C), covered with a box to protect it from the light. It remained molten.
At first some kind of yellowish, opaque precipitate formed on the surface of the sample, which was being slowly eaten as the hours progressed.
This is what it looked like after almost two days of soaking.

After removing the chromic acid, and short rinse with dilute sulphuric acid, this is what I've got.

Upon solidifying, it turned opaque and strongly yellow with a lemon tint. The orange tint was almost gone.

I've thought this was it, the best that chromic acid can do (I was wrong), so I've put it in a nitric acid bath for several hours, in a molten state, swirling. The procedure did not appear to have altered its color significantly. It was still yellow, and the transparency was still low.

So that's what happened with the larger batch. I've cut it with a knife, melted it into ingots and stored under distilled water.

The smaller batch first went through a nitric acid bath which removed much of its orange color.

Then I tried to wash it with chromic acid. I was out for about six hours and the small batch was sitting molten, without any precipitate (obviously because of the initial nitric acid bath), in the corrosive orange mixture.
Oh boy was I surprised when I got home and rinsed the chromic acid. :D

This is the purest WP I've personally seen in my entire life. It's not colorless, it still has a hint of yellow, but it's almost colorless. The opacity is negligible and due to the surface roughness. Upon cutting with a knife, it's like a piece of glass. The only purer sample I saw was Theodore Gray's, but that was over the Web.

It glows better than the earlier impure samples.

In a couple of days, when I get a hold of professional DSLR camera, I'll make nice macro photos. This is just a prelude. :)

Later I've melted all together, both lemon and colorless form (photo with the bottle).

- conclusion -

I don't know if chromic+nitric acid methods could replace the initial cotton filtering. I haven't tried it yet.

After cotton filtering, several hours of swirling in warm nitric acid is capable of destroying all of the opaque, sandy precipitate, and remove most of the orange color. It can't remove all of the opaque impurities, indicating they aren't made of one compound.

Sitting under chromic acid is capable of removing both the color and precipitate, but should be used together with the nitric acid method, preferably after it, because the nitric acid method allows the oxidation and fuming, therefore building up of phosphoric acid in the mixture.

The most important thing is to have lots of chromium(VI) above the sample and not to cover the entire bottom of the vessel. The sample should be small (not larger than a thumbnail) to form a blob surrounded by the acid.
My first attempt failed because the amount of chromium(VI) was too low and the sample covered the entire bottom. There wasn't any speedy cleanup. The lack of chromium(VI) was obvious by the dark brown color of the partially spent solution.
In the case of the smaller, already rather pure (HNO3) sample, the orange color of the chromic acid was almost untouched after the cleaning, indicating there was an excess of chromium(VI).

I'll run the chromic acid bath with the combined batch once more, this time for more than few hours, because I want colorless ingots. Later, I'll expose a piece of colorless sample to the sunlight during the day, to see the color change.

I must say it was quite entertaining to build up adrenaline while taking the large batch and cutting it with a knife, using a gloved hand in a dimly lit room. The stuff really looks like some weird alchemical shit, like a true philosopher's stone. It glows, the vapor close to it glows and flows like liquid, cool fire. You just want to stare at it because it's so enchanting, but you know there'll be trouble if you do it. It really looks poisonous, like those glowing skull-shaped vapors above opened poison bottles in cartoons (perhaps there's a connection). I had the ventilation system on maximum setting the whole time to suck the fumes away.

The feeling of cutting pure sample at room temperature is similar of cutting cold, not so old piece of resin. It is waxy, and sort of like a hard clay, but it can burst into shards.
The colder it is, the more brittle it becomes and can snap, sending dangerous shards around the table, which is obviously very dangerous because you've got few minutes at most before they catch fire. They melt under their own heat so you have to cool them with ice before catching them with tweezers, or just pick the drop with paper tissue. If it's larger than 1 mm in diameter, expect it to burst into flames in a matter of seconds. Throw it immediately in a copper(II) solution or on a safe surface to allow burning. It's advisable to do it during the night, because you can turn off the light to see where they are.
While cutting, it's best to tilt the knife left-right, being careful before the final snap, which I did using wet gloved hands. Of course, you have to do it in a rush. Occasional dunking in the ice cold water is preferred because it builds up heat.

[Edited on 2-8-12 by woelen]

BromicAcid - 28-7-2012 at 17:06

Glorious. That is truly a thing of beauty. Love it! There's something breathtaking about pure chemicals, even really really pure water... It reminds me of something from Kary Mullis' autobiography "Dancing Naked in the Mind Field":

Quote:
As described in Organic Synthesis, the phenylhydroxylamine turned into nitrosobenzene, which floated to the top. We filtered it out. It was brown and oily, but we had about 100 grams. At $4 a gram, we were rich.

We could have taken it to Max, and he would have paid us and sold it for $6 a gram, but we were not going to make inferior chemicals just to get by. We spent the remainder of the night purifying our product. When we were done, our crystals were white, with a very slight greenish cast in the early morning sunlight. It was the prettiest nitrosobenzene the chemical business would ever see. We had lost about 20 percent, but what we had was pure. We had made our first real chemical.

The next day we took the nitrosobenzene to Max, and had he not done conscientious things like that as a kid in the business, he would have been shocked. He was pleased to the point of adopting us both as his children forever. Chemists get emotional about other chemists because of the language they have in common and the burns on their hands.

plante1999 - 28-7-2012 at 17:36

WOW. Really a nice piece you have there, would like to have one like this.

Did you bought the white phosphorus or you made it? If you made it, I would be really happy to know experimental data in a U2U.

Thanks!

zoombafu - 28-7-2012 at 17:51

SO BEAUTIFUL!!!
Great post.

BromicAcid - 28-7-2012 at 18:04

plante1999, preparation was described in the original post:

Quote: Originally posted by Endimion17  
I made my sample by dry distillation of mixture of RP and pure quartz sand to avoid bumping and to make a porous bed in the retort. If one's careful and patient, mildly orange samples can be obtained, devoid of sand particles. The traces of residue in the retort are black and I can't identify it.
However, due to the nature of the apparatus (distilling could be done with a candle; it's very dangerous and requires an experienced experimentator, but this is not the topic of this thread) some RP will be carried over into the receiving water.

plante1999 - 28-7-2012 at 18:15

Quote: Originally posted by BromicAcid  
plante1999, preparation was described in the original post:

My mistake! I was too absorbed by the pictures!

Thanks!

Endimion17 - 28-7-2012 at 18:18

Thanks, guys.
BromicAcid, that's a very cool quote. I know the feeling and I live for it. :)

Magpie - 28-7-2012 at 20:29

That's very nice work, and thanks for the great pictures and write-up! I understand about the adrenaline - it's to be expected - after all you are grappling with Dracula.

Endimion17 - 29-7-2012 at 13:00

Dracula bit me. More info soon.

edit: the mechanical stirrer failed, fell into the chromic acid and launched a blob of WP, probably the size of a large ladybug, in the air. It immediately started burning. Most of it fell in the floor, but some parts fell on my hand and chest. I saw it burning on my hand, which was fucking scary. I waved my hand to extinguish it, and it worked.
I've immediately rushed to rinse it with tap water. It took me less than half minute to start doing it. A minute later, I took some copper sulphate solution and put my hand in it to neutralize WP and make it visible. Now there are few brown stains.
As you can see in this photo made after the copper reaction, these are second degree burns. Barely 2 square centimeters, but that's quite a lot.

I let the copper do its thing for less than a minute, and then I washed it out to avoid hemolysis. For the past hour, I've been watching TV and soaking my hand in weak saline water. The wound doesn't glow in the dark, there are no fumes, but there's still a very faint characteristic smell, or perhaps I'm just too freaked out.
It was quite painful during the first three hours, upon removing the wound from saline.
I won't be putting any silver sulfadiazine because of its oily carrier compound that can help dissolve traces of WP into the skin.
Currently, I'm thinking of the poor victims of war crimes, how awful it must be when a significant area of your skin has third degree burns and you know you'll die.

I'm concerned about the poisoning. Four hours have passed, and I don't feel bad at all, but I might go to the emergency in the morning just in case. My only hope is the small affected area and small amount of WP that actually landed on it.
The clothes that saved my chest are ruined and smell like matches.
I'll tape the wet saline gauze to the wound and hope nothing happens.

The problem is - what to say to the doctor? That's where you guys step in. Please think of something. I can't just go there and tell what happened.

[Edited on 30-7-2012 by Endimion17]

Endimion17 - 30-7-2012 at 02:27

No advices, huh? :D

The burn looks ok, only surface layer is missing, the next layer is pretty much intact. There are no "holes" or any other deeper pits which are common in these cases, probably because I didn't let the stuff burn, but was furiously shaking it off.
Other wounds are fine, no surface layer detachments, only occasional boil.
I'm feeling fine. Absolutely no symptoms of poisoning and at least intestinal cramps should've started. I didn't go to the ER.

Before heading off to bed, I've put the WP on stirring in chromic acid again. I've secured the stirrer so that if it fails again, all it can do is to embed itself into the melt.
It was stirring in the dark the whole night, and this is what I've found this morning around 11:00.

Obviously, the green stuff is chromium(III). WP has solidified in the form of sand.

Upon removal of the spent chromic acid, the product looks like this.

Absolutely no traces of yellow color. Pure white, cleaner than the last purest sample, this time the whole batch. Again, I've put it on a chromic acid stirring bath (less than an hour, to see if the orange color changes again) and then I'm gonna melt it into ingots and take a photo.

I have reasons to believe this is beyond analytical grade stuff. Usually when you buy WP, it's yellow.

The only thing I'm puzzled about is whether the chromium(VI) was spent on impurities or was it oxidizing the phosphorus, too.

[Edited on 30-7-2012 by Endimion17]

Endimion17 - 30-7-2012 at 05:26

It seems chromic acid is being reduced by WP alone. It went green after like 30 minutes of swirling, so I replaced it with distilled water.

I can't seem to determine the color of the purified sample anymore. It became so pure its color is vague, and my lab lights are both incadescent and fluorescent, so the stuff seems to have a very weak greenish or yelowish tint. Maybe it's because of my inability to distinguish such tints? I don't know.

The melt seems to be a bit more opaque than earlier melts. I hope chromium(III) isn't responsible. Maybe I'm just wrong, because I'm now comparing a small blob and a large batch. Maybe it's just turbidity because of the all night stirring. After all, there were problems with coalescing of the droplets.

As you can see in these images , it's practically colorless, and the subtle white balance differences make it hard to determine the true color, no matter how good you edit it afterwards.
As expected, pure WP strongly refracts light, and you can see the rainbow in the blob from the first post, and that's why the sandy WP looked completely white.
I've took similar photos so you can compare the colors.
It would be the best to take a photo in the sunlight, but it would turn yellow, and I don't want that after all this trouble.

The glow, as usual, isn't appreciable at 0 °C, but soon after it warms up, it's easily visible even with the lights on. The purer the sample is, the stronger the glowing.

Any ideas what to do next? Any photography wishes? Reaction videos?

BTW I've started to treat my wound with silver sulfadiazine. I guess that any traces of WP were oxidized during the night (the smell was gone before I went to bed), and the only danger right now are bacteria. I feel fine and have no symptoms of poisoning.

plante1999 - 30-7-2012 at 06:15

I wishes you make phosphorus pentachloride next.

For the wound I think it is cured and wont be a problem.

mr.crow - 30-7-2012 at 07:23

Thanks for the pictures, absolutely beautiful. I hope your hand is ok.

Instead of Dracula maybe Lucifer is more appropriate, the bringer of light and the morning star

Magpie - 30-7-2012 at 08:12

I'm sorry to hear of your unfortunate accident with WP. It is good that you were so well prepared for such an accident, knowing what steps to take and the appropriate treatment.

There are a number of such caged animals in our hobby. Some that I have grappled with include oleum, chlorosulfonic acid, acetic anhydride, KCN, as well as WP. That I have so far not had such an accident is more a matter of luck than anything I think. Sometimes I have taken too many risks and not been properly prepared for something going wrong. I have had some close calls.

Your burn looks ugly enough that it would make me seriously consider giving up experimenting with the caged animals. Eventually the lion and the killer whale bite their handlers. I respect your love of chemistry - you went right back to your WP, continuing your research and taking those great photos.

Whether or not to go to the emergency room was indeed a tough call. I would have been in the same predicament and can't say what I would have done if that had happened to me.

Dave Angel - 30-7-2012 at 12:49

Endimion17, I think you have seen that the pain that you have gone through to share these results has not gone unappreciated.

In spite of the obvious risks you have highlighted 1st hand (no pun intended), the pictures of your pure WP have inspired me to put it back on my to-do list, having only a few weeks ago ruled it out as 'too dangerous'; it's just too good to not repeat.

Do keep us updated on the progress of your injury. If you're not already aware, there are plenty of advanced dressings for burn healing and scar reduction etc. available these days - unless of course you wish to bear the scars as a testament to / reminder of your WP days!

BromicAcid - 30-7-2012 at 13:09

Very smart move with the CuSO4, you've obviously done your research. I would think, personally, given the size of the burn and depth that I wouldn't go to the emergency room. Although once you get that though in your head I will admit that it is hard to extinguish.

Endimion17 - 30-7-2012 at 15:41

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it.
The wound seems to be reacting to the sulfadiazine silver as predicted - the exposed layer is covered with goo. It's probably partially composed of white blood cells that rushed to the scene, then killed by the silver. You can see some hemolysis at the top, that's probably where copper has lodged in the burned top layer. There's no inflamation, and no puss, the wound doesn't smell at all. I think I'll post photos of the wound each day for the next week for you to see the progress. AFAIK, there are no such sets of photos on the Web and I believe that would be quite useful for anyone out there who will get burned some day.
There are more burns, but as they're just boils (also 2nd degree but boring) or first degree and some superficial reduced copper marks, I'll skip that.
As for the scars, I doubt there'll be any after few months. I've had a boiling water accident in the lab like two years ago and it involved a sensitive area of the arm, today it's not even visible. I had quite a lot of burns in my life, even chemical ones, and I don't have visible scars. Nevertheless, I'll ask my pharmacist if he has any advice.

This is the shirt. As you can see, my left teet :D was almost burned, and one piece almost landed on my thigh.

I made another batch of raw WP few hours ago, and skipped the cotton and the nitric acid method. Straight to the chromic acid, but hot and swirling. I want to simplify this as much as I can to provide a decent and less dangerous method for obtaining extremely pure samples.

This time, I'm carefully measuring the masses and durations, and will inform you of the yields. So far, they seem to be extremely high. My 0.1 g scale didn't register any loss of the initial 3.5 g of RP, and the time for cleaning seems to be less than 15 minutes. I turned off the stirrer and now waiting for the spheres to merge together.
Also, the amount of dichromate needed for batches of few grams is really ridiculous.

Here are 40 seconds of mesmerizing stirring action. I cranked up the voltage near the end, so the blob disappears.
<iframe sandbox width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Z7ibNhABRX8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Sorry about the video quality, that's about the best I can do with my equipment at the moment.

[Edited on 31-7-2012 by Endimion17]

DJF90 - 30-7-2012 at 16:04

Excellent stuff Endimon. I have a couple of questions though:
Quote:

What material is your retort made from? What temperature are you distilling at? You say a candle flame can be used so this implies it is not terribly high? Is the bumping very bad without the quartz sand?

I ask because I am interested in this process. I've been considering a vacuum distillation. "High vacuum" (say 10-25micron) should enable the sublimation temperature to reach temperatures suitable for non-destructive use of quickfit glassware. How this will affect this reactive-sublimation I am unsure. If I can get away with just using a heat gun then that will be a much simpler route I suspect.

Well done for documenting the cleaning procedure. Some solid quantities will be greatly appreciated.

Endimion17 - 31-7-2012 at 11:27

Thanks. Retort was made out of regular borosilicate test tube.
I used a quiet, small, half oxidizing flame of a gas torch, but it could've been a Bunsen burner, too. The temperature doesn't have to be high. I've mentioned candles because of the temperature. Of course, more RP, more heat. Better use propane-butane.
The bumping is not bad per se, but it can lead to a water surge, cracking of the retort and then you're screwed. I think Leidenfrost effect happens, because RP, while gassing out P vapor, can slide towards the neck and cause mayhem.
You can use regular sand, just treat it with HCl first, then roasting, to decrease the amount of impurities.

Vacuum only lowers the boiling point... It doesn't affect the temperature of RP breakup. I'm not sure of the benefits. Your pump will be in a serious trouble.

Don't use quickfit glassware like flasks etc, unless you have the means for purging out air. Larger glassware, more air, more initial RP fire, lower yield. Also, working with larger amounts of RP... I'd be quite nervous. 3-4 g is my maximum. This is not something you can leave alone. You simply have to be there, holding the burner, tapping the setup occasionally to avoid sudden caving of the material which leads to rapid release of the gas and pyrophoric burps.

Packing of RP+sand should be like this.

There has to be a slope, to avoid a buildup of P vapor in the bottom. Receiving water should be around the melting point of WP, to avoid clogging.

I finished my quantitative experiment, so here are the results and the photo.

m(SiO2) = 0.6 g
m(RP) = 3.5 g

distilling time <20 min

m(raw WP) = 3.5 g

cleaning time (hot, swirling chromic acid) ~10 min

m(pure WP) = 3.3 g

The last mass would've been >3.4 g, if there wasn't WP mud on the top, that I couldn't join with the sample.
I recommend slow automatic stirring, without dispersion. It seems that very pure samples have trouble coalescing. That's OK if you want WP powder.

I think the color is partially due to chromic acid hydrosol. If the chromium goes from (VI) to (III), then it's a greenish tint. Dispersion is really something that should be avoided while cleaning.

An interesting thing happens when you try to melt it. It goes completely transparent and soon it gets cloudy.

I have no idea what is happening here. WP melt should be transparent and highly refractive. No opacity.

All in all, my yield after the initial fire, the distillation and purification is a bit over 97%, and is consistent with other experiments. I don't think I could go higher.
Don't disperse it or you'll have troubles with the mud and chromic acid hydrosol. Use slower stirring in warm water and do it overnight to save on time and to use the lack of sunlight. It would be the best to allow few blobs swirling around, joining and breaking up like in a highspeed lava lamp.

Regarding the wound, there was a bit more hemolysis (maybe I hurt it during sleep), but no redness, so no inflamation. However, the gauze has stuck on it, meaning it started drying and now proper epithelization should kick in. That's good, though posting daily photos of a piece of gauze looses its purpose. I'll continue with small amount of Ag-sulfadiazine, and start daily disinfection of the surrounding area with ethanol. I have no symptoms of poisoning except some small bad digestion and general feeling like shit, but that's common when you try my family's cuisine and don't have enough sleep.
I'm starting with multivitamins, extra vitamin C and plenty of milk. Death can occur within a week or so, so I better deal with it. :D

DJF90 - 31-7-2012 at 11:48

Thanks alot for taking the time to document this properly. I really appreciate it, as I'm sure others here also do.

Endimion17 - 1-8-2012 at 10:37

Day 3. The wound is wet again. This is after I removed the goo using a stream of tap water and after applying iodine to the surrounding area.
You can see there's new hemolysis. That concernes me, but is consistent with this type of chemical burn and initial copper(II) treatment. Copious goo is consistent with usage of Ag-sulfadiazine. The goo should be aseptic, and it does seem to be because there is no smell.
I've been reading a lot online and the possibility of death freaks me out. It says "even with minimal burned areas". I think that's legal bullshit. Why would anyone die if there isn't any WP in the wound, and the wound is small? I don't have glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency or anything like that, and no symptoms of poisoning.

It rarely hurts, but when it does, it makes a few annoying pulses and it's over. The pain is worse if I lower my hand, obviously.

I'm seriously reconsidering my decision to avoid visiting the ER. I just hope they're stupid enough to trust my little white lie about a "welding accident". If they show to be very smart, I hope they'll respect the doctor-patient trust. However, I do believe they take notes and records in their system. It would be great if the doctor finds the truth to be an exciting opportunity for learning. You don't encounter such injuries when you're working in a small town in Europe. Heck, I'd be fucking grateful.

Rogeryermaw - 1-8-2012 at 12:12

firstly let me say that if you are in fear for your health don't let anyone tell you not to seek medical care. that said, the resource of first hand knowledge available here about phosphorus burns is rather low (personally i feel that is a good thing) so the experience base to draw on is limited. my experiences with phosphorus burns are minor but the wounds were deep and very painful. i tried making PCl3 on a test tube scale and there was a point where my chlorine generator pushed too much gas and the result was liquified P4 sloshing out of the tube. the resulting fire melted the test tube and glass tubing from the gas generator. when it dropped, it got on my hand and my pants. instinctively i patted the fire but that only spread it so i dropped my pants, rolled them into a ball to extinguish the fire and wrapped a wet towel around my hand. i did not have a method of neutralization handy so i had to get the area cold and peel the phosphorus off the wound. this was around a year ago and i have suffered no ill effect to this day. my wife (nurse) says your wound looks healthy and said she would treat it as a normal wound. use a good triple antibiotic, and loose gauze so it can breathe. re-dress the area every day or two. after 3-4 days let it breath so it can crust over an heal. otherwise, just keep it clean. you have done a great job of caring for it thus far. the use of a good triple antibiotic will help to minimize the appearance of scar tissue.

again let me re-stress that if you are in fear for your health, do not let anyone tell you not to seek medical attention. i can only relate my own experiences with this beast which do not cover all bases in any way. speedy recovery, man.

as far as the welding excuse, due to the size and area of the burn, it may be wise to say you accidentally laid the area down on a hot surface after welding.

Pyro - 1-8-2012 at 12:50

endiminion, you should say you had an accident using a flare, flares often contain WP, chances are they will not ask too many questions. say you used a road flare, or that you were on a boat,...
The flares I have on the boat contain WP, and at one point the company recalled them as they were not safe for use, something about them exploding.
I knew english wasn't your first language, by what I can make out on your P container, it says Fosfor, which means you can live in either:Belgium, Holland, germany, and a few others.
which one is it?
EDIT:if you are going to say its a welding accident i personally think that you should say that flux dripped onto your hand, even though if you are welding you should be wearing welding gloves lol.
Just go to ER, even if you tell them you got it purifying WP, what can they do? chances are WP is not illegal, and the cops will have a heck of a time getting a warrant

[Edited on 1-8-2012 by Pyro]

freakinto - 1-8-2012 at 15:36

You should really go to ER.

Pok - 1-8-2012 at 15:50

Tell the doctor that you found a piece of amber when you were in holidays at the baltic sea...you stored in under water and took it out at home when it spontaneously took fire in your hand:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18926385

This is a credible argumentation!

Go to the doctor!

[Edited on 1-8-2012 by Pok]

gutter_ca - 1-8-2012 at 15:53

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/may/17/phosphorous-may-h...

Supposedly happened here in San Diego.

Endimion17 - 1-8-2012 at 16:51

Quote: Originally posted by Rogeryermaw  
firstly let me say that if you are in fear for your health don't let anyone tell you not to seek medical care. that said, the resource of first hand knowledge available here about phosphorus burns is rather low (personally i feel that is a good thing) so the experience base to draw on is limited. my experiences with phosphorus burns are minor but the wounds were deep and very painful. i tried making PCl3 on a test tube scale and there was a point where my chlorine generator pushed too much gas and the result was liquified P4 sloshing out of the tube. the resulting fire melted the test tube and glass tubing from the gas generator. when it dropped, it got on my hand and my pants. instinctively i patted the fire but that only spread it so i dropped my pants, rolled them into a ball to extinguish the fire and wrapped a wet towel around my hand. i did not have a method of neutralization handy so i had to get the area cold and peel the phosphorus off the wound. this was around a year ago and i have suffered no ill effect to this day. my wife (nurse) says your wound looks healthy and said she would treat it as a normal wound. use a good triple antibiotic, and loose gauze so it can breathe. re-dress the area every day or two. after 3-4 days let it breath so it can crust over an heal. otherwise, just keep it clean. you have done a great job of caring for it thus far. the use of a good triple antibiotic will help to minimize the appearance of scar tissue.

again let me re-stress that if you are in fear for your health, do not let anyone tell you not to seek medical attention. i can only relate my own experiences with this beast which do not cover all bases in any way. speedy recovery, man.

as far as the welding excuse, due to the size and area of the burn, it may be wise to say you accidentally laid the area down on a hot surface after welding.

Good grief, you peeled WP from your wound? :(
Then you were in a much greater danger than I ever was. I haven't found any on my burned tissue. It either burned off (I don't recall much pain, maybe because of the adrenaline), or fell on the floor.
I have found a tiny glowing speck few cm away from the wound, resting on the hairs. I could barely see it, like when you look sideways, searching for a faint star. And that's it.
I'm grateful for your wife's input. Yes, the gauze is loosen, it's like 6-7 layers, it's not encased with surgical tape, there's plenty of room beneath it. I don't think letting it breathe without the dressing is appropriate at this time because it's quite deep. I'll continue this until day five, at least.
I have triple antibiotic in a powder form, but I don't see the neccessity as I'm using Ag-sulfadiazine.

If things get worse, I'm heading to ER. No worries about that.

Quote: Originally posted by Pyro  
endiminion, you should say you had an accident using a flare, flares often contain WP, chances are they will not ask too many questions. say you used a road flare, or that you were on a boat,...
The flares I have on the boat contain WP, and at one point the company recalled them as they were not safe for use, something about them exploding.
I knew english wasn't your first language, by what I can make out on your P container, it says Fosfor, which means you can live in either:Belgium, Holland, germany, and a few others.
which one is it?
EDIT:if you are going to say its a welding accident i personally think that you should say that flux dripped onto your hand, even though if you are welding you should be wearing welding gloves lol.
Just go to ER, even if you tell them you got it purifying WP, what can they do? chances are WP is not illegal, and the cops will have a heck of a time getting a warrant

[Edited on 1-8-2012 by Pyro]

That's some nasty flare you've got there. I've seen and used regular ones only.
It's Croatia.
Illegal or not, I don't want to have anything with those creeps. The amount of corruption here is staggering. They'd enjoy crushing me just out of pure fun. Warrant? They would break in, dude, and probably steal few things while I'm not looking. Most of them are dumbasses that never finished highschools and got into the service by nepotism. The whole region is the same, no wonder why the war has been so brutal.

Quote: Originally posted by Pok  
Tell the doctor that you found a piece of amber when you were in holidays at the baltic sea...you stored in under water and took it out at home when it spontaneously took fire in your hand:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18926385

This is a credible argumentation!

Go to the doctor!

[Edited on 1-8-2012 by Pok]

That would take me to the cover of the magazines, and sooner or later, this thread would become famous, as my lie about baltic holidays. ;)
I could make up that a friend of mine was playing with it. That would be credible. :)

Quote: Originally posted by gutter_ca  

Yes, I've seen that. Military business. Lies and cover up. Typical.
That Stone guy doesn't seem to be very smart. "There is phosphorous that naturally occurs on the sand at the beach", LOL.

Pyro - 2-8-2012 at 01:46

All white marine flares contain WP,
if the corruption is staggering you should not worry too much lol. bribe the doc not to tell anyone.
maybe you burnt yourself with hot jam? or soldering? or molten sugar while making caramel? the choices are endless,
how about not going o the ER but to your local doctor who you know and tell him it was a burn caused by unspecified substances, or tell the ER that. they have no right to force you to tell them, and if they try, go away and try a different ER

Pok - 2-8-2012 at 04:53

If he wants to go to a doctor, he should make clear or give hints that it was WP and nothing else (sugar, etc.). Otherwise the doc can't give appropriate help! WP burn injuries are different from normal burns.

freakinto - 2-8-2012 at 08:40

I know I'm just an anonymous but listen to me please. My friend is a nurse and she says you should have gone to ER immediately when that happened. Your wound doesn't look very good. That thing absorbs constantly and can damage your kidneys and liver. Please go before it's too late. If things get worse, it can be already late, she also said that even now can be late. I'm not trying to scare you or something like that but please go to the doctor. Life is the most important.

[Edited on 2-8-2012 by freakinto]

Endimion17 - 2-8-2012 at 10:28

All white marine flares contain WP,
if the corruption is staggering you should not worry too much lol. bribe the doc not to tell anyone.
maybe you burnt yourself with hot jam? or soldering? or molten sugar while making caramel? the choices are endless,
how about not going o the ER but to your local doctor who you know and tell him it was a burn caused by unspecified substances, or tell the ER that. they have no right to force you to tell them, and if they try, go away and try a different ER

If I had the money to bribe the doc, I wouldn't be saving money to buy lab equipment. ;)

Pok is right, you can't lie because this is not a thermal burn. It's a chemical burn, and it's a WP chemical burn.
There's only one ER.

Quote: Originally posted by freakinto  
I know I'm just an anonymous but listen to me please. My friend is a nurse and she says you should have gone to ER immediately when that happened. Your wound doesn't look very good. That thing absorbs constantly and can damage your kidneys and liver. Please go before it's too late. If things get worse, it can be already late, she also said that even now can be late. I'm not trying to scare you or something like that but please go to the doctor. Life is the most important.

[Edited on 2-8-2012 by freakinto]

Absorbs what? If there was any WP in the wound, it would smell of matches. It stopped smelling like that less than 3 hours after the accident.
Thanks for being so concerned, but I really feel the same as before. I know there's the one week window for going six feet under, but you have to have symptoms for that to happen. This is not acute cyanide poisoning that throws people on the ground. If liver starts failing, I'd be having a bad time already.

I'll do a private blood test of my liver markers, that shouldn't be awfully expensive.

Day 4. I've noticed this morning that my gauze dressing is gray, meaning the silver creme is not being sucked into the wound greatly as before, and is being reduced to elemental silver after migrating to the surface.
Few minutes ago, I've removed the gauze. The wound is healing. There's scar tissue being formed, and the open, gooey area is reduced by some 75%. This is the inner side of the dressing. You can see the reduced silver around it. There's a lot less aseptic goo.

This is going to be fine. I've washed it with tap water, let it dry while swabing the surrounding area with iodine tincture, put a thinner layer of silver and another gauze.

Maybe it would be nice if the admins would add something like "burn treatment" in the title, I'd hate to see all this effort being forgotten. One day this info could save someone's ass.

Back to WP. I've put two samples out in the sun. They literally turn yellow in a matter of few seconds.

Even the first photo isn't showing the initial lack of color because it was faster than my response. You'd literally have to snap the photo as soon as you take them out of a light tight box. It takes like ten seconds to go vegetable oil yellow. The lower photo is one hour later. The samples have melted in the scorching sun. There's the yellowish crust, and you can see by the cracks in it they've gone orange. It essentially turns into the color of the raw sample before the cleaning process.
That's why I've put my clean WP in a closed coffee can with some sand on the bottom, to go by the book.

[Edited on 2-8-2012 by Endimion17]

Rogeryermaw - 2-8-2012 at 10:55

this is in line with my own experiences. i wanted to see if a sample could be turned, reliably, to the red allotrope by exposure to sunlight. the heat melts the sample in short order but it stays in a single mass so not much under the surface is affected. the whole sample will yellow but once it does, it reduces the amount of uv exposure beyond the surface. i uploaded a picture of one such attempt. the tube is coated inside with some mixed red and yellow phosphorus. this result was due to shaking the tube after the sample had melted in an attempt to increase the surface area. http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=65&...

i allowed 3-4 days of exposure but could not get the whole sample to convert. upon opening the tube, and scraping out a sample it would still smoke and eventually ignite.

freakinto - 2-8-2012 at 15:51

Absorbs what? If there was any WP in the wound, it would smell of matches. It stopped smelling like that less than 3 hours after the accident.
Thanks for being so concerned, but I really feel the same as before. I know there's the one week window for going six feet under, but you have to have symptoms for that to happen. This is not acute cyanide poisoning that throws people on the ground. If liver starts failing, I'd be having a bad time already.

Well, you sounded scared despite that knowledge so I tried to help you. However, I am glad you are OK now. Good luck and take care. ;)

Rogeryermaw - 2-8-2012 at 22:45

had the wife look at your burns again and before i told her what you had been treating it with she said "he should be using silvadene (a brand name for the chemical you are using) so you were already treating it well. according to her that is what they would dress it with at the hospital (she works in the emergency department at saline memorial hospital). by this point in the healing she said they recommend to either use a double antibiotic (one without neomycin but containing polymixin b and bacitracin) or petroleum gauze ( http://store.gomed-tech.com/petroleum-gauze-5-x-9-p487.aspx do not use on a wound that has drainage as it will not absorb) for some reason they do not recommend triple antibiotic for burns. i was not clear on the reasoning for that but it turns out some people are allergic to neomycin.

above all, keep it clean and away from infectious materials. you are doing a great job taking care of it.

[Edited on 3-8-2012 by Rogeryermaw]

a_bab - 3-8-2012 at 01:25

More then 20 years ago, when I had my "phosphorus days" this is what I've done:

-I melted together 50:50 WP-candle wax in a test tube and mixed it with an iron wire. I cooled the test tube in cold water, broke it and the resulted rod was used to write on the walls; the marks were visible for minutes. The rod was kept underwater and always handled with some wet paper rolled around. During this experiment I learned how flamable the melted WP really is - it bursts in fire the second you expose it to air.

-trying to cut a piece of WP (under water obviously) I also learned that if cold it has the tendency to break in small pieces (very odd, since it's also maleable to an extent). That happened with a pea sized piece, and once I turned off the light I remember the wonderfull sight resulted from the small shards that shone much like the stars on the sky, scattered acroos my carpet. I also remember getting all of them as fast as I could, being stressed that one will eventually ignite, one that I missed, and this also was the fuel for some nighmares to come (I call these "chemical nightmares").

-I also tried the transition to RP and viceversa, and I was dissapointed that I only got the RP color (I used an oven for that, for some hours). I later learned that in industry some 2 weeks are commonly employed, with rigurous temperature and pressure control (and sometimes iodine as a catalyser)

-I obviously had to go the Amstrong route, and I made small blobs of tissue paper and Armstrong mix and a few grains of sand. I did this with the wet compo, and it was funny to scatter a fistfull of these during the night in some crowded area (bus stations were usually prefered); by the morning the small thingies were fully dried and watching people dancing and jumping in horror was very funny at the time. Sort of a childhood terrorism I guess...

I never had major accidents, phosphorus burns and alike and I knew exactly how to treat them (I had CuSO4 at hand). I was always prepared for the worst to happen, I knew the lethal dose and the risks etc. I did my homework before in the library (there was no Internet at the time). I also knew that a small piece (like a ladybug) would be about the fatal dose (100 mg) for an adult and that I had to swallow it in order to die; merely getting burned by it and reacting with CuSO4 the leftovers in the would would probably get a few mg at best in the system, if any, so I would have never worried or freaked out like some people here if that happened to me.

I was around 14 at the time.

Freak accidents do occur and they may not be even freak; let's say the power goes off and your magnet breaks the beaker full of finely divided phosphorus.

Were you prepared for this event?

[Edited on 3-8-2012 by a_bab]

Heuteufel - 5-8-2012 at 12:04

@Endimion17
I wanted to let you now, that this a great thread and that I really enjoyed reading it!:)

As far as experiments with white phosphorus are concerned here are a few more ideas:
Burning a piece of white phosphorus in an atmosphere of oxygen is very beautiful. It looks like sort of a sun en miniature.:cool: (there are videos on youtube). I had a teacher who used to throw a little peace of WP in hot, fuming nitric acid - very intense, dangerous reaction - the onset can be slow. If you dissolve a bit of WP in castor oil in a large flask and shake the flask you can observe very well the fluorescence. A demonstation of the Mitscherlich test is also something interesting to do, but take care not to inhale the vapours...

Here some links to videos about WP:
Mitscherlich test
burning WP can´t be extinguished by water
Se youtube for "phosphorus sun" videos.

S.C. Wack - 5-8-2012 at 13:28

Quote: Originally posted by gutter_ca  

"There is phosphorous that naturally occurs on the sand at the beach, but no one has ever heard of pants catching fire," Stone told the Register.

“Laboratory testing confirmed elevated levels of phosphate on the rocks,” said a brief statement issued by the Orange County Health Care Agency.
The statement said the agency’s role in the matter is done.

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/jun/02/tp-hot-rocks-phos...

At San Diego County’s Department of Environmental Health, hazardous materials chief Mike Vizzier said Friday he had no plans to go looking for suspicious stones at the site. “We talked with Orange County, and they said they looked and they could not find any more,” Vizzier said.

He’s still wary about elements of the story. “We are not even convinced it was phosphorus yet,” he said.

Abbott said he has no doubt that the fire and the burns are real, but he’s baffled by the source of the flames. “It must be something that ignites at low temperature, so I am assuming the orange stuff is human made … and probably something that was designed to burn,” Abbott said.

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/may/19/tp-fire-starting-...

Nothing about the burns there. Matches from 1800's sunken cargo are raised on occasion, causing surprises and sending divers to the hospital.

3745909895.jpg - 62kB

Rogeryermaw - 5-8-2012 at 14:04

phosphorus is difficult to extinguish by pouring a small amount of water over it. during my experiments i noted that when phosphorus is hot and finely divided, it can surface on water and ignite. from there the heat from ignition will keep it on the surface of the water until it is exhausted. this may also be, in part, due to the heat vaporizing the water, giving it a cushion to rest on.

that whole story about the pyrophoric rocks is highly questionable. most of the reporting is done by people with little to no understanding about the nature and properties of phosphorus. also, the fact that o.c. health care agency said "their role in the matter was done" sounds more like "we were told to keep our mouths shut and our noses out of the business".

@e17 i am sure most of us here are curious as to the progress of your convalescence. any news? pain reduced? healing well? you should be out of the woods as far as systemic damage from absorption. how are you?

Endimion17 - 6-8-2012 at 15:06

Quote: Originally posted by a_bab  
Freak accidents do occur and they may not be even freak; let's say the power goes off and your magnet breaks the beaker full of finely divided phosphorus.

Were you prepared for this event?

I don't use a magnet, only a shaped glass tube attached to a small DC motor. If something would ever break, it would be the rod. The beaker is rather thick.

(I've read about the wax thingy in one old book and always wanted to give it a go, however not on the wall, wax is impossible to remove afterwards.)

Quote: Originally posted by Heuteufel  
@Endimion17
I wanted to let you now, that this a great thread and that I really enjoyed reading it!:)

As far as experiments with white phosphorus are concerned here are a few more ideas:
Burning a piece of white phosphorus in an atmosphere of oxygen is very beautiful. It looks like sort of a sun en miniature.:cool: (there are videos on youtube). I had a teacher who used to throw a little peace of WP in hot, fuming nitric acid - very intense, dangerous reaction - the onset can be slow. If you dissolve a bit of WP in castor oil in a large flask and shake the flask you can observe very well the fluorescence. A demonstation of the Mitscherlich test is also something interesting to do, but take care not to inhale the vapours...

Here some links to videos about WP:
Mitscherlich test
burning WP can´t be extinguished by water
Se youtube for "phosphorus sun" videos.

Glad you've enjoyed it.
Isn't Mitscherlich test supposed to be a glowing ring inside the tube? AFAIK it's used by boiling cadaver samples autopsy samples of people who are suspected to have been poisoned with WP. The traces of WP are not enough to form a greenish flame, but they are visible as a faint glowing ring above the reflux zone.

@e17 i am sure most of us here are curious as to the progress of your convalescence. any news? pain reduced? healing well? you should be out of the woods as far as systemic damage from absorption. how are you?

This is day 5, and this is day 6.

This is day 7, a photo taken minutes ago.

The spontaneous pulsating pain was over few days ago, but if I lower my hand significantly, I feel a strange tingling, creeping, pulsating, unpleasant sensation at the spot of the greatest damage. As you can see, there was some gauze stuck in the wound, but it came loose after a day under the Ag-sulfadiazine. It really tends to either dissolve the scar tissue, or stimulates to body to get rid of it by oozing, so it's not a smart idea to put it anymore. I even took a shower yesterday, no longer caring if the wound gets wet. I stopped with the iodine, too.
I'm not feeling any symptoms of poisoning and today I even took a short and healthy sunbath, being careful not to expose the wound to the direct sunlight. I'm no longer wearing a dressing, except a thin one in the bed.
It might be a good idea to go and check the liver markers. Just to be on the safe side.
I wonder will there be any long lasting scars. It might be cool to wear a tiny one, as a reminder. I'll try to take a photo every day.

And here's the detailed photo of the glowing pure ingot I promised to take.

[Edited on 6-8-2012 by Endimion17]

Pyro - 6-8-2012 at 17:03

wow,
that looks so much better, does it still hurt?
the WP looks awesome, i can't wait untill i am ready to try

Rogeryermaw - 6-8-2012 at 20:27

both the healing and the P4 look great. my own scars are barely noticeable a year later and only if i'm looking for them. your phosphorus looks phenomenal! truly bright glow! that is a sight most will never see in their lifetime. makes me want to procure some chromic acid.

a_bab - 6-8-2012 at 23:10

Rogeryermaw, the phosphorus doesn't glow that much at all. It's a very pale and delicate color, much like any ZnS based glow in the dark item, but very delicate. The fumes is what makes it so nice - you can see them glowing above the phosphorus piece, up to a few cm of height. Actually it's simple: you saw a fuming piece of WP being filmed - now thing about these fumes as being phosphorescent aswell. What's nice about phosphorus is the fumes - they look "supernatural".
That photo only shows the color, which indeed I find almost corect.

I now remember my first attempt at getting some phosphorus and the first obvious source was matchbox strikers. Having collected about 100 of them, I dry distilled them in a testube under a CO2 flow. Once I set up the "aparatus" I turned off the light (my lab was in a basement). The sight was something wonderfull: the phosphorus vapors expelled by the CO2 flow looked like a green flame, fairly bright, but cold (you could pass the hand over it with no harm). That was a special magical moment, and I then understood what Brand must have felt like.

BTW, I guess it takes some serious years of playing with WP like this in order to get the phossy jaw - I'm convinced that people who made matches must have felt the smell all the time.

[Edited on 7-8-2012 by a_bab]

Endimion17 - 7-8-2012 at 03:46

wow,
that looks so much better, does it still hurt?
the WP looks awesome, i can't wait untill i am ready to try

It's ok at the moment.
Be extra careful, try with small amount first. Less than half gram in a 7 mm tube retort, to get acquainted with the process.

both the healing and the P4 look great. my own scars are barely noticeable a year later and only if i'm looking for them. your phosphorus looks phenomenal! truly bright glow! that is a sight most will never see in their lifetime. makes me
want to procure some chromic acid.

It would be kind of cool to have a "special mark", wouldn't it?
If you have a rich pinchful of K-dichromate, you can clean probably more than all the samples I've made so far, so go for it. Let's stuff the Web with these photos. :)

Quote: Originally posted by a_bab  
Rogeryermaw, the phosphorus doesn't glow that much at all. It's a very pale and delicate color, much like any ZnS based glow in the dark item, but very delicate. The fumes is what makes it so nice - you can see them glowing above the phosphorus piece, up to a few cm of height. Actually it's simple: you saw a fuming piece of WP being filmed - now thing about these fumes as being phosphorescent aswell. What's nice about phosphorus is the fumes - they look "supernatural".
That photo only shows the color, which indeed I find almost corect.

I now remember my first attempt at getting some phosphorus and the first obvious source was matchbox strikers. Having collected about 100 of them, I dry distilled them in a testube under a CO2 flow. Once I set up the "aparatus" I turned off the light (my lab was in a basement). The sight was something wonderfull: the phosphorus vapors expelled by the CO2 flow looked like a green flame, fairly bright, but cold (you could pass the hand over it with no harm). That was a special magical moment, and I then understood what Brand must have felt like.

BTW, I guess it takes some serious years of playing with WP like this in order to get the phossy jaw - I'm convinced that people who made matches must have felt the smell all the time.

[Edited on 7-8-2012 by a_bab]

Actually, it does glow like this if your eyes are accustomed to dark (20 min at least), and it's dried with a filter paper, and you wait until the oxidation really kicks in. And if it's very pure.
If you use a wet, dirty sample, you've just turned off the light and picked it out from the water, it won't be spectacular at all.
The original photo was even more glowy, so I've tuned it down to simulate what a human can see in those conditions, both the color and illumination.
Regarding the color, we all see colors differently, and the variations are amplified in the darkness, when our cone cells in the retina aren't too active. Some people will see more green, some will see more blue color.

I think the vapor "few cm above" is mostly oxidized fumes illuminated from below. The chemiluminescent vapor is rarely above 0.5 cm. It dances close to the sample. The main glow is a very thin layer close to the surface of the sample and it shimmers if you blow air to it.

Next thing I'm trying is putting WP under different air pressures. The glow is visible in a limited pressure range. I want to see if it ceases abruptly or is it more gradual.

[Edited on 7-8-2012 by Endimion17]

a_bab - 7-8-2012 at 04:53

Endminion, you remind me this picture. I never messed for too long with phosphorus, and my samples were not all that pure as yours.

http://www.canadianchiropractor.ca/images/stories/2010/decem...

Endimion17 - 13-8-2012 at 11:52

a_bab, if only it would look that nice. :)

Here are the wound updates. I've increased the delay between every next image by one day (so day9 and day10 are two days apart), because the changes aren't that speedy anymore.
So here it is: 8, 9, 10, 11, 12

I think there'll be hardly any visible scars by the time winter starts. If there wasn't for that silver creme, this would've been a different story...
My other burns are fine. I'm still missing tip of one finger where one large boil was, but it's getting fine.

OK, now for the fun part. I had a few ml of bromine left so why not trying reacting it with very pure WP? Anyone reading about it knows it's extremely violent, but has anyone ever seen it online? Here it is, a video taken a little over one hour ago.

<iframe sandbox width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HXuKgTTfSdY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I know, this wasn't exactly a safe experiment because it's obvious the stuff was ejected out, but I had this intricate dropping mechanism and I was not close, wearing protective equipment. Also, water hose was on standby, and there was dirt, too.

The amount of WP was half of a typical pea and even that is pretty massive. The amount of bromine spent was very small. As soon as they touched each other, most of the WP was ejected. It was like deadly fireworks.

Honestly, it's a lot more loud than it seems. My camera's microphone is designed for recording mainly typical voice registers, not bangs.
I don't recommend doing this. It is VERY dangerous. It seems to be more violent than cesium and water. The danger is even greater knowing that most of the WP comes out molten and on fire. You can easily get severely hurt. If you increase the mass, this becomes a deadly weapon, so please don't do it or you will get hurt. This is far more dangerous than typical amateur explosive mixtures because it can melt your face off, and kill you during the next week. Treat it with utmost respect.

the most interesting screenshot...

[Edited on 13-8-2012 by Endimion17]

[Edited on 13-8-2012 by Endimion17]

Zan Divine - 16-8-2012 at 06:46

The high toxicity of WP usually manifests upon oral administration (about 2x toxicity of a saline cyanide).

I've known 3 people with small WP burns. One used CuSO4, two didn't. The burns healed with no toxic episodes for any of them. All of the burns in question were smaller than a dime and none of the burns were 3rd degree.

In your particular case, if you avoided the hospital, you probably did the right thing. Especially since you obviously understand the nuances of attending to this type of injury and you did everything correctly and the burn, scary and painful, was only just that because of its size. I don't think the hospital could have done a better job, maybe they couldn't even have done as well as you did.

Your story underlines the importance of rapid response. At various times I've had burning Cs and molten lithium on my fingers. Getting the offending material off rapidly was the difference between a minor discomfort for a few hours and something worse. Actually, Li was the oddest thing. It solidfied quickly, I peeled it off, used ice water and the burn wasn't even 2nd degree.

[Edited on 8/17/2012 by Zan Divine]

RonPaul2012 - 16-8-2012 at 18:38

Wow this is great :D

I don't think I would ever attempt this kind of thing

I am a mad scientist after all so I can't say for sure .

I would just be afraid of getting phossy jaw.

Great post , thanks for sharing.

Rogeryermaw - 16-8-2012 at 19:25

phossy jaw occurs after YEARS of exposure to phosphorus and fumes associated with its production and handling and of smoking cigarettes lit with white phosphorus matches which are no longer produced. of much greater concern is immediate poisoning, toxicity of phosphorus compounds and/or the excruciating pain of burn injuries from phosphorus.

i didn't let that stop me, but that's not for everyone. whatever you do, remember safety first and you will be ok. always have an exit strategy at the ready.

AndersHoveland - 16-8-2012 at 20:00

I wonder what exactly is happening to that phosphorous when it is being cleaned, in light of this thread:
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=20064

I really do not think the phosphorous really dissolves in water, it only melts into smaller drops or strings. I think the subject of what those yellow impurities actually are is a more important question related to the chemistry of phosphorous than many here realise. It is difficult to say what is going on.

[Edited on 17-8-2012 by AndersHoveland]

a_bab - 17-8-2012 at 08:15

The book called "The Shocking History of Phosphorus" describes a case when elemental phosphorus, in the form of very fine particles (not visible to the naked eye) did lots of trouble by polluting the marine enviroment.

It was not believed at the time such small particles can actually survive in (salty) water without reacting with something giving their size (microns) but in the end it turned out not only did these particles survived but they also built up to the point where the marine life was seriously threaten, including large animals such as fish.

Antimony Pentafluoride - 17-8-2012 at 13:40

Chemical burns really do require treatment. You don't need to come up with an elaborate lie about why you're seeking treatment, and the medical staff should know that the burn was due to phosphorus so it receives the proper attention.

That compound is lovely. Good work! Please take care of yourself. Burn treatment is deceptively complex, especially when its a chemical burn.

[Edited on 17-8-2012 by Antimony Pentafluoride]

BromicAcid - 17-8-2012 at 13:51

When I went to the hospital several years ago for a thermite burn here were the main issues:

1) No one knew what thermite was
1a) No one cared what thermite was
1c) No one believed I knew what I was talking about

I could see a visit to the ER going similarly for a phosphorous burn. How many doctors have been trained on treatment for phosphorous burns? I'm sure they would say you don't know what you're saying, that they already know the proper treatment and don't need to look it up, and coincidentally (and thankfully) send you home with silvadene cream which would properly treat but only by chance. You would have been better off calling poison control, I think they actually enjoy being able to look up odd-ball ailments.

Rogeryermaw - 17-8-2012 at 14:16

i would agree with BromicAcid except that you have every news outlet in the world crying foul about the use of phosphorus weapons against targets in the middle east and, domestically, the very word "phosphorus" is synonymous with illicit chemistry. 10 years or more ago that would not be the case. it is likely that handling phosphorus would be viewed much like handling thermite. however, since then, phosphorus has gained quite a reputation. hell, even i knew about the "red white and blue" method before i fell in love with chemistry. and at that time in my life i had no idea about the range of legitimate uses for it.

on the other hand, doctors and medical staff are supposed to follow the hippocratic oath which guarantees absolute privacy concerning your medical status unless it involves a gunshot or child abuse which require reporting (at least in the u.s.). not sure how burns from listed chemicals would be handled.....

Antimony Pentafluoride - 17-8-2012 at 15:08

Quote: Originally posted by BromicAcid  
When I went to the hospital several years ago for a thermite burn here were the main issues:

1) No one knew what thermite was
1a) No one cared what thermite was
1c) No one believed I knew what I was talking about

Ooooo thermite burn! Ouch! That you received such poor care is very sad. I'm taking my nursing boards in June, so that should give you an idea of my perspective on this. Phosphorus burns can be really serious... especially if they aren't treated. The first thing I ever learned about phosphorus was that it can burn you real bad. Did the hospital you went to have a dedicated wound care center / burn unit?

At the very least I'd expect doctors to know about treatment of a flammable metals burn. Maybe I have a bias because my clinical rotations have largely taken place at a hospital that has a wound care center, and the personel there were very knowledgeable. I even discussed redox chemistry with the person monitoring the hyperbaric chambers. I'm sure that at a good hospital somebody would know what thermite was... I'd hope.... errrr... I'd know what thermite was. Than again, I had to explain the difference between phosphorus and phosphate to many (more than I ever would have thought) to some of the other nursing students (and a teacher!). So perhaps you are right.

on the other hand, doctors and medical staff are supposed to follow the hippocratic oath which guarantees absolute privacy concerning your medical status unless it involves a gunshot or child abuse which require reporting (at least in the u.s.). not sure how burns from listed chemicals would be handled.....

Phosphorus is definitely very sketchy, but that shouldn't stop a person from seeking medical attention. I think if the person doesn't look like a crazed fiend/cook and is generally polite and nonthreatening, they will give him/her the benefit of the doubt. Also people without much chemistry or legal backround would not immediately know it to be a listed chemical.

My personal leaning is if the person said that they currently only possessed a tiny quantity of WP then privacy would outweigh danger to the public. It would also depend on whether it was clear (to any rational person) that other members of the household were in immediate danger. I mean, if the person lived in an oil tanker full of babies and told me they had 50 pounds of WP that nobody knew about...

I have a former teacher who might know whether the right to privacy would outweigh the potential danger of the person's possession of phosphorus. I'll send them an email asking what they think of this situation and perhaps then I'll have something more useful to contribute to this discussion.

[Edited on 17-8-2012 by Antimony Pentafluoride]

Pyro - 17-8-2012 at 16:52

actually in hindsight, visiting a military doctor would be best, atleast in the US and europe. don't know about [DELETED] :)
but I love the bar of WP!! awesome!
I will definitely try it on a small scale first, after i get a damn torch hot enough! (might take a little while, will ask for one for christmas :D)

[Edited on 18-8-2012 by Pyro]

nezza - 23-12-2012 at 04:57

Thanks for the info Endymion. I have prepared white phosphorus from red as per woelen's method some while ago and had a typical yellow waxy solid which phosphoresces patchily. The chromic acid clean works a treat. I now have some opalescent white pearls of white phosphorus which looks much purer. I have a couple of observations on my samples.

1. The pure white phosphorus tends to supercool and is sometimes quite difficult to solidify, even in ice water.
2. When it does solidify it crystallises rapidly (Is this a measure of its purity ?).
3. In the cold it is quite brittle and glass like.

I am hoping to post a couple of pictures of the solid in water and a sample phosphorescing soon.

Endimion17 - 23-12-2012 at 09:21

Yes, if you leave such pearls in chromic acid for at least a month, all of the Cr(VI) turns to blue Cr(II), and the obviously exponential drop in reaction rate means that WP's surface will be etched more and more slowly, etching its surface in a fractal manner, I guess. They indeed show some opalescence, but more than opalescence, they show chatoyancy. It's incredible. I should take a photo of it.

BTW I was wrong here. The scar is still there.
It's possible I'll be left with a permanent one. It's been a few months and it basically looks the same as it did in photo #12, with the exception that now my skin regained its surface texture. But the discoloration is still there and, funny enough, changes with my overall condition. If I'm cold, tired or scared, it gets this ugly cyanotic tinge, like a bruise.
When I'm warm, rested and happy, it's pink. So it's like a mood ring, only it works more reliably. :)

Endimion17 - 7-8-2013 at 09:16

It's been 1 year, 1 week and almost 2 days since Dracula bit me, so I wanted to inform the community of my wound healing progress. 13

In most cases, it's rather difficult to spot on, but any other observation reveals it. It still changes colour depending on my current state.
The texture is almost completely back, but you can feel the elasticity is lower.

I think the healing has pretty much gone into the realms of asymptotic slowdown and in 5 years, it will be better.

Phosphorus burns

softbeard - 7-8-2013 at 23:41

I think a thorough discussion of this topic requires a complete textbook (and I'm sure battlefield surgeons have written them). I have done some professional work making/ designing red phosphorus-based 'marine location marker' (MLMC2) positional military smoke&flame flares designed to be dropped from aircraft mainly for search and rescue.
Let me tell you the little I do know about the subject is, literally,
an opening into hell itself.
While it's true minor burns by red phosphorus or its pyrotechnic compositions could be classified as 'regular' burns with no real dramatic outcomes; especially if quickly treated with copper sulphate solution.
The same cannot be said of multiple white-phosphorus-caused trauma with WP pieces in the tissues.
This is an opening to a hell few want to contemplate. The burns themselves are just a sideshow. WP systemic toxicity means liver damage/organ failure as the nurse/doctor desperately tries to pull smouldering phosphorus fragments from the patient.
Morphine for pain? Ha! Good luck, that's for the movies. Grams are given and the patients still scream. Maybe these days with heroin/hydromorphone or fentanyl.
And of course that's just the begining of the poor saps nightmare as tissue necrosis and WP systemic toxicity provide a true Faustian version of hell.
And WP burns do NOT want to heal.

I've never had a RP/WP burn. A worker I know did; it was very minor due to RP. Believe me, this is a hell you do not want to see or experience.

Pyro - 14-8-2013 at 11:56

I just finished purifying all my WP in less than 2hrs and wish to improve on Endi's method.

I started by adding all my WP to a 150 ml beaker of dH2O. to that beaker I added about 5ml H2SO4 and a spatula full of K2Cr2O7 and stirred by hand. when it was all dissolved I had a dark yellow/orange solution.
I then heated the beaker on a hotplate to 55*C and kept it there during the whole procedure. after I had stirred it for about 5 min I took a pipette and sucked in a small amount of the water, then sucked in as much WP as possible, I found that most impurities float to the top of the WP in the pipette, I then gently squeezed the bulb until almost all the WP was out, but the impurities were still there, then I squirted them out in a fresh beaker of very concentrated chromic acid (red).

I repeated this until there were no visible impurities. Then I pipetted the clean WP over to a fresh beaker of dH2O, then added chromic acid, this time more dilute. now I started with the beaker of more conc. chromic acid. I pipetted up the WP careful not to take too many impurities with it, then put it with the rest. after stirring this for another 5 mins to get a few big blobs I poured off 3/4 of the hot water and added cold water to make the WP solidify. I then took tweezers and transferred it to a bottle. it is as pure as Endi's purest.

If you want I could make a picture tutorial from RP to superpure WP

Pyro - 15-8-2013 at 04:41

here are the promised pics:

white phosphorus crystal structure.jpg - 59kB
white phosphorus crystal structure above (1).jpg - 65kB

these two are from when I squirted a pipette full of WP into a beaker of cold water, I have never seen this before!
it looks a little yellow but was actually more white, the water is yellow because it contains a tiny bit of chromic acid that got pipetted over with the WP

WP_20130814_006.jpg - 72kB
these are the three beakers needed, on the left a soln. of K2Cr2O7+H2SO4, on the right a more concentrated soln. to put the crap into and in the back distilled water to put the pure WP into

WP_20130814_007.jpg - 49kB
this is the main blob of WP under chromic acid

WP_20130814_009.jpg - 58kB
this is a blob of burning WP on water, as you see it floats! I was pipetting it and accidentally squeezed the bulb ever so slightly and a molten drop came out of the pipette and caught fire before it hit the water

WP_20130815_001.jpg - 69kB
this is the finished product on my desk!

[Edited on 15-8-2013 by Pyro]

Very nice!!

Mailinmypocket - 15-8-2013 at 04:56

Beautiful work Pyro! Not to sound like a broken record but, be careful, as I'm sure you are :)

Endimion17 - 15-8-2013 at 05:10

Very cool! :D
I'm puzzled, are those needles in that photo with the cold water?

Just be careful, and keep those beakers secured by clamps or small bricks. You don't want to flip that. I know the chances for that to happen are small, but the consequences are grave, so procedures that might sound like an overkill are in fact perfectly normal.
Oh, and remember not to heat it too much. I know it speeds up the cleaning process, but together with high concentration of chromic acid, you actually lose the phosphorus itself. The original procedure takes like a week or so, at room temperature, in the liquid state, just to minimize the loses. You have lots of RP so you don't have to care too much about that, but remember that it can start boiling, and you saw what a tiny liquid blob does outside water. Now imagine a lava lamp like behaviour >100 °C. Pretty sight, if conducted in a desert. :)

[Edited on 15-8-2013 by Endimion17]

Pyro - 15-8-2013 at 05:32

yes, those needles are in the beaker of cold water.

I am very careful! but still i did tip a beaker, it had cold rinsing water and no WP so I was lucky, but I was stupid then.
everything was conducted at approx. 55*C

When I find my camera I will make a write-up on making very pure WP from red (If its OK for you of course) and will weigh it before and after cleaning and see how big the losses are. I don't think they are so bad as the P doesn't spend much time in chromic acid and undergoes mechanical cleaning as well

Endimion17 - 15-8-2013 at 10:22

Certainly, go ahead. I don't hold any patents. :D

That thing with the needles is interesting. The only time I've seen phosphorus crystals is when I left an extremely clean sample etching in the chromic acid for a long, long time. It kind of reminded me of surfaces of Europa and Enceladus, but more ordered.

Magpie - 15-8-2013 at 12:30

Nice work Pyro. The last picture looks like two sleeping baby Draculas ;)

Acidum - 15-8-2013 at 12:39

Endi and Pyro, excellent work!

Could you two make a publication article about this? It may go to Prepublications, Member publications, or even as a two-men review in Journal of amateur science!

Pyro - 15-8-2013 at 13:52

I'm working on an illustrated guide now.

PS: I have now got more than twice as much as I did before, but it is slightly less pure but still so pure that it exhibits supercooling!

[Edited on 15-8-2013 by Pyro]