gutter_ca - 31-7-2012 at 15:32

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=2-methoxyethylbenzene

[Edited on 7/31/2012 by gutter_ca]

traumenz - 31-7-2012 at 15:40

Thats not helping SIR!

gutter_ca - 31-7-2012 at 15:54

First result, jackass.

Hexavalent - 1-8-2012 at 09:19

I like how this man has asked on at least 3 different chemical forums the same question, when a simple Google search would give him his answer.

[Edited on 1-8-2012 by Hexavalent]

traumenz - 1-8-2012 at 09:49

listen baby, im not good in chemistry, i need a methodology a simple one. keep quit if u cant help. if i was a good, i would be helping you instead!
take care!

Hexavalent - 1-8-2012 at 11:21

No, I won't email you directly as you asked in your little U2U to me.

Anyway, this chemical can be prepared by iodomethane and 2-phenyl-ethanol with metallic Na present. The reaction time is 2 hours with heating, and the yield is about 42%.

Anyway, I wouldn't recommend someone who isn't 'good in chemistry' to do a synthesis like this.

But, to keep you quiet, I'd try taking the following procedure;

Dry some phenethyl alcohol thoroughly and prepare some fresh iodomethane.

Do some stoichiometry calculations for yourself, and work out how much of each you will need as well as an appropriate quantity for the sodium. Use this to help you;

Chuck the lot into a RBF and reflux for 2 hours. Extract the product and characterize.

Just asking; a) are you in a professional lab, b) what qualifications do you have in chemistry, and c) what do you even want the product for?

Reference; http://www.lookchem.com/2-Phenylethyl-methyl-ether/

traumenz - 1-8-2012 at 11:31

I would say thanks! Although you were rude. I’m not into chemistry. I’m masters in business administration. just helping some one out but not in a lab. nothing more then that!

Hexavalent - 1-8-2012 at 11:33

No, I wasn't rude. It's just that we don't take kindly to people asking to be spoonfed information instead of searching for it themselves.

traumenz - 1-8-2012 at 11:42

forget it i dont want to make scores!

Well, according to your reaction the yield is 42% which is too low. I found a reaction it says, reacting phenyl ethyl alcohol with methanol in the presence of sulphuric acid. Don’t know about the yield .

Hexavalent - 1-8-2012 at 11:47

Where is your reference for this?

P.S. Please don't be ignorant.

traumenz - 1-8-2012 at 11:51

great now you talk like a professional, I like that!

P.S I missed it :)

zoombafu - 1-8-2012 at 11:51

The friend you are helping out better be good at organic chemistry and be able to get chemicals from suppliers. PEA isn't something you can find OTC.

traumenz - 1-8-2012 at 11:56

This benzene ring , I swear I feel like a prisoner in it  ok, see I don’t have access to a journal called SYNTHETIC COMMUNICATION, 25, page p2435 ,1995.there is much more detailed synthesis.

traumenz - 1-8-2012 at 11:58

No problem for PEA. i can get it.

traumenz - 1-8-2012 at 12:14

HONEY it say :

Error
Sorry, you are not permitted to view this forum

Sciencemadness Discussion Board » Error

traumenz - 1-8-2012 at 12:16

Quote: Originally posted by Hexavalent  
Why would *you* need it if you are helping someone else out?

boy ! taking pain to help!

Hexavalent - 1-8-2012 at 12:18

You know what? I've had enough of your complaning. I'll ask for you.

And stop referring to us as 'Baby' and 'Honey', please.

Mailinmypocket - 1-8-2012 at 12:24

Quote: Originally posted by traumenz  
HONEY it say :

Error
Sorry, you are not permitted to view this forum

Sciencemadness Discussion Board » Error

That is because you need to ask admin for access, which is usually granted after being a member on the forum for a while and contributing to discussions.

traumenz - 1-8-2012 at 12:31

Quote: Originally posted by Hexavalent  
You know what? I've had enough of your complaning. I'll ask for you.

And stop referring to us as 'Baby' and 'Honey', please.

lolz, ok, sure! love u! thanks again!

come on man, its just i've in my mind that i am in a professional forum and some people might help and they are help full.i can see that. dont mind dear!

Mailinmypocket - 1-8-2012 at 12:38

Is something wrong with you? If you have in your mind that you are in a professional forum then try not using pet names and telling people things like "love you" and ending posts with "dear"

It just looks plain stupid and childish and makes others even less tempted to help you.

Oh and do try and use proper spelling, punctuation and all the other goodies you would expect in a "professional" environment.

zoombafu - 1-8-2012 at 12:40

If you want to be professional don't call people baby.

Hexavalent - 1-8-2012 at 12:43

Unless you happen to be a professional whore:)

I have to agree with these guys, though - we welcome newcomers, as long as they make some effort to "fit in", i.e. by making useful posts, maintaining a standard of professionalism and using correct spelling, punctuation and grammar.

traumenz - 1-8-2012 at 12:47

hahahahaha, ok when you don't have any thing to help in chemistry you are correcting English. this should be a grammar forum.

traumenz - 1-8-2012 at 12:48

bunch of chotia's around here!

traumenz - 1-8-2012 at 12:53

I will be professional around here , let’s see if you guys can be in chemistry! Specially to you HEXA

Hexavalent - 1-8-2012 at 13:03

We are professional. The only reason we demand correct spelling is to avoid errors - there is only a single letter's difference between 'nitrate' and 'nitrite', for instance, yet they are two different anions that react differently. If English is not your first language, then we take this into consideration and appreciate some mistakes may be made, which we work with.

If I were you, if you want some respect around here I'd start posting properly and stop annoying myself and others - should I share some of the U2Us you've sent me?

At the moment, you appear to be borderline k3wl. Grow up, and we shall respect you and help you in any way you can, providing you pull your weight and do some work for yourself.

Back on topic, answer my question, please; what does your 'helpee' want the reagent for, and why is 42% yield not good enough? This is a single-step synthesis, which is comparatively straightforward as you asked.

traumenz - 1-8-2012 at 13:17

Reactions where this compound is a product:
(Sn2)0
from bromomethane, 2-phenylethane-1,1-diol

from 1-bromo-2-phenyl-ethanol, methanol

from (2-bromo-2-methoxy-ethyl)benzene, water

from chloromethane, 2-phenylethane-1,1-diol

from 1-chloro-2-phenyl-ethanol, methanol

from (2-chloro-2-methoxy-ethyl)benzene, water

from fluoromethane, 2-phenylethane-1,1-diol

from iodomethane, 2-phenylethane-1,1-diol

How do I know which one gives the best yield?

REF:http://www.chemsink.com/compound/15897814/

traumenz - 1-8-2012 at 13:19

As I have told you before , I don't know much in Chemistry. Keeping this in mind, If you can give me best methodology in your opinion.

zoombafu - 1-8-2012 at 13:20

You need to find actual scientific references of people who have carried out the synth. Those are just some theoretical synths.

Hexavalent - 1-8-2012 at 13:23

Interesting, that is a different compound from earlier.

Do you want;

1-Methoxy-2-phenylethanol

or

(2-methoxyethyl)benzene ??

traumenz - 1-8-2012 at 13:24

Quote: Originally posted by zoombafu  
You need to find actual scientific references of people who have carried out the synth. Those are just some theoretical synths.

Great, That was knowledge full.

traumenz - 1-8-2012 at 13:27

(2-methoxyethyl)benzene

zoombafu - 1-8-2012 at 13:29

Do the synths yourself. If you cant find literature you need to do something called... experimentation!!!! The scientific method!!! Form a hypothesis, then test it. Compare results. Find the best synthesis route for this compound you are looking for. Then post it here so all will know.

Hexavalent - 1-8-2012 at 13:31

Well, the reference you give and the synthesis strategies you list from it are for the other compound, thus they are not exactly what you are looking for. Back to the drawing board.

traumenz - 1-8-2012 at 13:35

I will get back with some home work. Mean while if you have something more , Kindly share.

traumenz - 1-8-2012 at 13:41

This product have a CAS number. Obviously its available in the market. There must be a complete methodology / process for preparation in some Journal or books?

zoombafu - 1-8-2012 at 13:58

Hexavalent gave you a synth

Hexavalent - 2-8-2012 at 04:52

Thanks, zoombafu.

Traumenz, if that's not good enough for you, then I'd consider doing some more research work yourself.

gsd - 2-8-2012 at 21:14

Quote: Originally posted by traumenz  
This benzene ring , I swear I feel like a prisoner in it  ok, see I don’t have access to a journal called SYNTHETIC COMMUNICATION, 25, page p2435 ,1995.there is much more detailed synthesis.

Hi

Here is the link to the reference you quoted.

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/00397919508015447

Paying USD 43.00 for such a dear reference will not be asking much for a professional like you.
However I wonder what good that will be as cursory browsing shows the paper does not mentions your target compound.

gsd

Hexavalent - 13-8-2012 at 07:53

Any updates, traumenz?

Have you or your "chemist" friend done any more work towards his synthesis?

sigma742 - 28-10-2012 at 18:13

You are a useless poster. Get out.

[Edited on 29-10-2012 by sigma742]

zed - 1-11-2012 at 15:38

All of this crap over a simple chemistry question?

Your product is an ether of common phenethyl alcohol. Phenethyl alcohol is often used in "Rose" type perfumes.

Unfortunately for you, most of the common methods for producing such ethers...employ fairly toxic reagents.

If you need a small amount, try e-bay...If you need a lot, and you are not chemically adept, contact a manufacturer in China.

They usually want to sell you a ton or so, but they can often be convinced to supply a "sample" amount. A kilo or so, at a friendly price.

Indole - 15-8-2014 at 12:42

I know this is an old thread, but I happened to stumble upon it when researching the product in question here. I thought I'd share that the essential oil of a plant called Kewda happens to have around 80% (2-methoxyethyl) benzene. You could just buy some of that E.O. and fractionate the desired component. Below is a GCMS report from an analysis I personally did.

kewda.png - 70kB

[Edited on 15-8-2014 by Indole]

aga - 15-8-2014 at 13:39

What kit produced the graph Indole ?/