Sciencemadness Discussion Board

liquifying air

imsmooth - 11-9-2012 at 06:43

I know this topic has been discussed. I plan on getting a high pressure (200bar), oi-free compressor for the job. My question is has anyone successfully liquified air? I understand the issues of CO2 and water vapor removal; I know about separating O2 and N2. I know about cryocoolers. I plan on using counter-current cooling and gas regeneration.

I just want to know if anyone has been able to liquify air with a compressor and what was the minimum compression required?

bfesser - 11-9-2012 at 07:42

Quote: Originally posted by imsmooth  
I know this topic has been discussed.

Then do a search, and post in an existing thread!

imsmooth - 17-9-2012 at 12:49

What tubing would be good for the regenerative section. It will have to tolerate temperatures near -300F. Most of the materials I've found (polycarbonate) will only go to -200F

kristofvagyok - 21-9-2012 at 14:03

What tubing would be good for the regenerative section. It will have to tolerate temperatures near -300F. Most of the materials I've found (polycarbonate) will only go to -200F

Polycarbonate for an air liquifier? What are you planning, DIY liquid oxygen? Good joke.

Polycarbonate and all plastics has a really bad property. They broke to really sharp fragments what are not seen under X-ray, so the doctor can't get them our from your head.

Back to the original topic, all hi pressure equipment are made from steel tubing what is not a DIY setup. I would suggest to forget this in time.

watson.fawkes - 21-9-2012 at 16:33

What tubing would be good for the regenerative section. It will have to tolerate temperatures near -300F.
Metal tubing. Be prepared to learn a fair bit about working metal if you want to go down this path.

Also, get one of the reference books on industrial cryogenics. You'll need to be able to do some of the engineering calculations, since trial and error in this area will take far too long to be practical.