Sciencemadness Discussion Board

suggestions on disposing of used sodium silicate containing cobalt

chemisch - 27-9-2012 at 13:25

I have alot of sodium silicate waste contaminated with cobalt and other salts. I was thinking of trying to get a percipitant but i dont want to generate anything damgerous because acids from my brief research seems to yeild some extremely flammable chemicals not fun so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

bfesser - 27-9-2012 at 13:33

Fuse to glass, dispose of in trash.

99chemicals - 27-9-2012 at 13:38

Agreed. Evaporate then put in plastic bags and trash.

Vargouille - 27-9-2012 at 15:11

I don't see anything flammable from what you've mentioned. It's just a chemical garden, correct? Just add an excess of sodium bicarbonate to precipitate any remaining metal ions, filter, and trash. Or, if you're a skinflint like me, keep to recycle into more useful metal salts.

chemisch - 27-9-2012 at 17:49

i was thinking of attempting to dissociate something from the solution to reduce more that was my hopes. but if you are sure the sodium bicarbonate would precipitate all the cobalt that would be fabulous thanks

Vargouille - 28-9-2012 at 00:30

Sodium bicarbonate should precipitate most of the cobalt ions as cobalt carbonate, with a little hydroxide contamination. After that, what little cobalt is left in solution is mostly harmless. Look up the "solubility product" for cobalt carbonate, cobalt hydroxide, cobalt phosphate, and cobalt sulfide, and how to calculate it, to see why it's very difficult to remove all the cobalt.