Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Maximum reasonable size for pictures?

Tacho - 18-6-2004 at 03:10

My web cam made pictures that used just a few kbytes. Now I bought a camera that can make pictures that use up to the Mbyte area. Moma told me not to use other people’s disk space without saying “may I please?”.

Mr. Administrators, could you please establish some rules about the size of pictures that can be attached or uploaded to /scipics? I don’t want to have pictures deleted because they occupy too much space, but I don’t want to waste the opportunity of showing details either.

[Edited on 18-6-2004 by Tacho]

Polverone - 18-6-2004 at 08:10

I believe I set the limit at 100 KB.

If_6_was_9 - 20-6-2004 at 12:13

I can't seem to upload anymore pictures. I tried uploading a 14 KB jpg file and it gave me an error message.

[Edited on 20-6-2004 by If_6_was_9]

Blame Bravidio.

Polverone - 20-6-2004 at 14:02

I certainly do. This account came with 500 MB of disk storage. According to my account stats, more than 200 MB should still be available. But I can't actually add more content because the hard drive that the files sit on is full (well, almost completely full, but ordinary users cannot use any more space (has to do with linux's handling of almost-full disks)).

On the bright side (ha ha?), I expected to have to pay for hosting renewal months ago, and even explicitly requested the ability to do so, but never received a response or a bill. I know I said last year that I wanted to find a new host, but maybe this time it will be forced. The sticking point for me is control of the domain name, which has always been handled by Bravidio even though it ostensibly belongs to me. It's hard to get the domain name transferred (or anything else done) when e-mail to support is silently ignored.

I have to remember to make more frequent database backups for the eventuality that our host fails altogether.

EDIT: I switched the scipics directory so it's a symlink to an emptier partition. Try uploading again.

[Edited on 6-20-2004 by Polverone]

Michal - 21-6-2004 at 13:15

This forum is great, if you have a picture you can just attach it:

No more geoshitties :D

No more broken links :mad:

You can watch them even if your new to the forum (Pisses me off @ E&W, you cant watch attached pics because you dont have the right privilliges *aaaaaarrrrgggghhhhhh*

In short, this forum rocks ;)