Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Hello Again! Ceramic oxidive anode!

chloric1 - 20-6-2004 at 10:14

I have been inactive for about 3 months becuase I just got married. But now that I am getting into a routine I can get on the Internet a little more without getting a guilt trip:P.

Today I was just messing around on Google and I stumbled on something really cool. I have lately been messing around in Google's "Advanced Search" features and I can really narrow shit down nicley. Enough of the babble, I will get on with it.

Under "electrolytic" search by excluding Capacitors and batteries I found a PDF that talked about using a ceramic anode to oxidize trichloroethylene! Ceramic anode?? I asked. This Journal of Applied Electrichemistry article mentioned using Ebonex. I found out this was a mixed titanium oxide approximately Ti4O7. Then I performed ANOTHER advanced search and found a PDF Journal of Electrochemistry article on ceramic fuel cell catalysts. In this article they stated you could take ultrafine rutile in a tube furnace, evacuate with argon, then heat in a hydrogen atmosphere to 1050C!! Now I wonder if you could take the same setup and add titanium metal shavings and reduce the hydrogen usage one half and use a significantly lower temperature?!?! This only speculation, I leave the two articles for your review,

Attachment: JAEC- Electrolytic Oxidation of Trichloroethylene using ceramic anode.pdf (354kB)
This file has been downloaded 1067 times