Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Kontes Ultra-Ware Vacuum Hose Barb Piece DESTROYED

MagicJigPipe - 9-12-2012 at 18:09

Someone (who can guess for a prize?) managed to destroy a piece of the setup pictured here that I own. Since this is such a nice piece of glassware, I want to hang on to it. But the only place I've been able to find it is straight from Fisher or other expensive places and not "a la cart". Does anybody know where I might buy this one piece with the red arrows pointing to it?

I think I have the 47 mm model but I'll have to make sure when I get home.

smaerd - 9-12-2012 at 18:30

Dr. Bob was offering things like that. I'd check with him.

My guess is your wife :)

Funkerman23 - 9-12-2012 at 18:30

Short of asking Dr.Bob or going to a custom glass shop I'm not so sure..

plante1999 - 9-12-2012 at 19:11

I guess its your cat fault. (If you have one)

Maybe you could find spare part on the net?

[Edited on 10-12-2012 by plante1999]

Dr.Bob - 9-12-2012 at 20:38

I do have those adapter pieces in 47 mm, it looks like you have the one with the separate frit. I know that I have them in 40/35 joint size on the bottom, is that what you have? I'd sell for $10, plus first class shipping, with would be about $5 in the US. Send me a u2u if that sounds good. I have lots of other pieces of those filtration systems, with both flasks on the bottom as well as with simple drain tubes that would fit into a filter flask. I also have the larger tops that hold a larger volume, like 500 ml or so.

MagicJigPipe - 11-12-2012 at 13:18

Smaerd was correct. He just won a couple hundred grams of 3A molecular sieves if he wants it. Seriously. I have to keep my word...

Dr. Bob, I sent you a u2u.

unionised - 11-12-2012 at 13:37

The good news is that you can buy them
http://www.millipore.com/catalogue/module/C170#Replacement_P...
the bad news is the price

Dr.Bob - 12-12-2012 at 06:36

Since MagicJigPipe was so kind as to provide a beautiful diagram of these filters, I would mention that I have a few of them, as well as a box full spare parts, should anyone want to buy a setup like this. I have the kind he shows, as well as ones with bigger top reservoirs (1L), and the type that has a simpler bottom fitting that just goes into a normal filter flask. An entire setup would be about $50-100 depending on how size, type, complexity, and how many pieces you want. Just let me know if you are interested, and what scale and type of filter flask you want to use (inverse like shown above, normal filter flask or other type).

There is lots of info on these in the website that unionized provided above. (Thanks.)

chemrox - 14-12-2012 at 16:49

Check for after market Buchi parts. There's a company that sells spares for Buchi rotovaps and might sell spares for Kontes, especially for a popular item like that.

edgecase - 15-12-2012 at 06:59

Active Surplus on Queen St. in Toronto has a number of 250ml item #1 from that diagram, FYI

I have the above setup (with integral frit), I have been using it for filtering/degassing HPLC mobile phase with .22um x 47mm filters. It looks very nice and definitely worth holding on to.