Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Calcium Acetate from Sodium Acetate in one step

RingoStarr - 16-12-2012 at 08:34

I was wondering if either of the following two reactions are possible?

2Na(CH3COO) + Ca(OH)2 -> Ca(CH3COO)2 + 2NaOH
2Na(CH3COO) + CaCl2 -> Ca(CH3COO)2 + 2NaCl

I did UTFSE but either my searching skills or chemistry knowledge is lacking. Probably both actually.

Kind Regards.

Hexavalent - 16-12-2012 at 08:42

In one sense these will work, but you will have a horrible solution of mixed ions that the product you want will be very difficult to isolate from.

A better way to obtain calcium acetate would be to simply react e.g. calcium carbonate or hydroxide (as the solids) with acetic acid, or, if needed, vinegar.

[Edited on 16-12-2012 by Hexavalent]

RingoStarr - 16-12-2012 at 08:46

Thank you so much for such a swift reply.

Hexavalent - 16-12-2012 at 08:49

That's no problem:)

What do you need calcium acetate for, anyway? Or is this just a theoretical question?

m1tanker78 - 16-12-2012 at 13:02

Agree with Hex, the easiest method is to react vinegar with calcium hydroxide (hydrated lime) or calcium carbonate. It's best to let it evaporate without heat which takes quite a bit of time. Some decomposition occurs even with 'mild' heating. Slight excess of acetic acid is preferable. I have a ton of calcium acetate that i've made by this method which didn't require a lot of effort. Cheap, yet, useful for making other reagents.

Tank

RingoStarr - 16-12-2012 at 23:44

Quote: Originally posted by Hexavalent  

What do you need calcium acetate for, anyway? Or is this just a theoretical question?

It's mainly theoretical but I might have a go at making acetone. I have about 100g of Na(CH3COO) and it was my wish to keep away from making acetic acid, therefore Na(CH3COO) + CaCl2 -> Ca(CH3COO)2 + 2NaCl is very appealing to me but has a major drawback of impossible simple isolation of the desired product.
Since seeing your post I think I might try a few reactions. One where I try to isolate as much Ca(CH3COO)2 as I can from 2Na(CH3COO) + Ca(OH)2 -> Ca(CH3COO)2 + 2NaOH; another where I'll distill off acetic acid after adding HCl to Na(CH3COO) [and then make the calcium salt from that] and maybe one trying to obtain acetone from the Ca(CH3COO)2 + 2NaCl salt mix. Baby steps though. Thanks for your guidance, all I have to do now is stick my head in a book to check the theory and hazards.

Kind Regards.

ThatchemistKid - 17-12-2012 at 12:55

You should really use sulfuric acid not HCl for making acetic acid from sodium acetate, I believe that the HCl is to volatile and will just evaporate out of your mixture.