Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Yamato rotavap glassware set

kadriver - 24-1-2013 at 03:44

I bought a Yamato RE400 rotavap with a BM200 water bath on Ebay.

I researched it first and found that the RE400 is a discontinued model.

I paid $100 (plus $40 for shipping) and got the rotavap and water bath heater both in working condition.

I had to do some minor mechanical reapirs on the rotavap (the previous owner tried to glue some of the steel knobs set screws) but it works perfectly now.

I plan to use it to evaporate gold solutions for denoxxing. Plus it looks cool in my shop!

I found a dry ice condenser for it ($300 on Ebay), but I would like a water cooled condenser.

I need a type "A" (angled) or type "B" (verticle) condenser for it.

If any body has a glassware set (or just the condenser) for a Yamato rotavap laying around, then I would be interested in buying it.

Thank you,

kadriver

kadriver - 17-2-2013 at 11:29

Also, if anyone has a partial set such as just the condenser, or just the receiver, I would be interested in buying the pieces separately - thanks

I found a condenser for a type "B" glass set on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamato-Glassware-Set-Type-B-vertical...

Kadriver

Clarifications

radagast - 17-2-2013 at 15:42

(1) Do you need just the water-cooled condenser (in which case, why not just buy the one on Ebay), or do you need the entire glassware set associated with the water-cooled condenser?

(2) Although you said you preferred using a water-cooled condenser, you might be able to get away with using a cold finger cooled by salted ice (or even just regular ice) for higher-boiling solvents, so long as you use a secondary generic water-cooled condenser to trap residual vapors. I use that set-up for my Buchi rotovap to remove medium-temp solvents (e.g. ethyl acetate) when I'm out of dry ice.

(3) If you're missing rotovap parts, you might try reaching out to the following seller on Ebay:

http://myworld.ebay.com/renewedequipment?_trksid=p2047675.l2...

I visited his warehouse in Michigan and there were literally shelves of rotovaps of different models and makes, so he may have the item you need. You can tell him that I'm the guy who purchased an Air-Science ductless fumehood motor and the broken acrylic hood.

kadriver - 17-2-2013 at 20:35

Thanks for the guidance.

The one on eBay is for a type B vertical, I would buy it but first I must find the other parts.

I'll check the fellow you suggested.

I am using the rotavap to slowly evaporate chloroauric acid solutions down to a syrup to expel nitric compounds.

The water bath it the way to go with this.

The only reason I need the condenser is to condense the vapors so they don't get all over my shop.

Kadriver

kadriver - 18-2-2013 at 06:50

He may have what I am looking for (it is a cold trap instead of water-cooled condenser). I may have to go with this, just add ice to keep the condenser cool.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400331556737?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:I...

If the threads and seating area will match up with my Yamato, then I may be in business.

Thank you for the referral, I used your description (Air-Science) in my communications with him.

kadriver

radagast - 18-2-2013 at 11:27

I would somewhat surprised if a Buchi rotovap (the one linked in your Ebay post) worked on a Yamato rotovap. Not saying that it's not possible (I have no experience with Yamato rotovaps), but even Buchi parts are specific to each Buchi model and generally aren't cross-compatible with other rotovaps within the Buchi family. So, I'd recommend looking at the manual carefully to confirm that this will really work, since the parts are so expensive (for instance, I paid ~$300 for a Buchi cold-finger assembly without the collection flask, plus some assorted rotovap seals and parts, which I considered a fair price). If you do get it to work, please post as this would be useful information!

Given that you'll be stripping corrosive liquids off your product, I'd be extra-cautious about trapping the vapor, both before and after it goes into your vacuum pump. Probably wouldn't hurt to experiment a bit with dry ice and regular ice to make sure the vapors aren't escaping. I don't have any experience with evaporating gold solutions but have worked with NOx compounds and they are quite nasty . . .

Ephesian - 18-2-2013 at 12:48

I think you might be in luck, because I have a condensor that may fit your rotovap. its not a vertical but "diagonal" condensor for a yamato

kadriver - 18-2-2013 at 21:25

Ephesian,

I am very much in the market for one if the price is right.

I've sent you a message about this - thanks!

kadriver

Edit once for spelling

[Edited on 19-2-2013 by kadriver]