Sciencemadness Discussion Board

trimethylbromine difluoride type chemicals

halogen - 26-7-2004 at 15:18

IF5... interesting compound.
Three of the fluorines covalent, the other two ionic...?
Anyway, is it possible to have three of the fluorine atoms replaced by organic groups, giving a chemical like IF2(CH3)3 or something like it?
Or am I just making a fool of meself?
Wildest speculation I... not realy... well... ever had.

BromicAcid - 26-7-2004 at 17:28

Interhalogen compounds are incredibly reactive. Reacting IF5 with most any organic compound is going to cause it to behave as a fluorinating agent generating HF gas and substituting F into the organic molecule. BTW, I believe all the bonds in iodine pentafluoride are equivalent.

hmmmm...

halogen - 27-7-2004 at 08:08

Oh. Sorry about typing bromine instead of iodine.
But still. If you disregard the problem of making it, what would it be like.
I'm guessing flammable, sensetive, and a fuming toxic liquid.

Re: Halogen fluorides

JohnWW - 8-8-2004 at 17:47

What about IF7 ? It is the principal product of direct combination of iodine with a surplus of fluorine gas, and is more stable than IF5 (which disproportionates to IF7 and lower fluorides). All 7 Fs are equivalent, in a pentagonal bipyramid structure in which the Fs are alternately at the apices and in the pentagon. I think the IF6+ cation has also been isolated as salts.

ClF5 and BrF5 exist, but for steric reasons, ClF7 is unlikely ever to be made. The ClF6+ ion, isoelectronic with SF6, has been recently isolated, though. BrF7 is also unlikely for both steric reasons and the great reluctance of Br to be oxidized to the +7 state (perbromates (VII) only fairly recently have been produced).

JohnWW

halogen - 13-8-2004 at 09:15

Mmmm...
How could one get IF6+ ions?;)