Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Polyurethane does not cure ? where to buy other liquid rubber ?

DubaiAmateurRocketry - 22-5-2013 at 21:04

Last month i bought a gallon of Polyurethane paint, which consists over 75% PU, and around 25% is a solvent which evaporates easily, but my PU never cure, it is always a liquid ? even when i tried adding some epoxy or epoxy hardeners or any other glue it is still a liquid ?

Any ideas why ?

Also where can i find Polybutadiene ?

And there are lithium-Catalysted Polybutadiene, whats the lithium compound they use for the catalyst ?

thanks.

Fantasma4500 - 24-5-2013 at 05:37

i believe you mean harden, for future references..
that seems weird.. have you tried smearing it on some surface and seeing if it dries like that? it could be if youre trying to make some composition with this that it gets blocked in by itself and just cant escape.. spread it out while drying?

argyrium - 24-5-2013 at 09:35

Isocyanates are usually used to initiate cross linking. Most are very moisture sensitive, and very toxic materials.
--------

Sorry, I just re-read the original post.

Is the material meant to be used straight out of the container or does it need to be mixed with a second component?

[Edited on 24-5-2013 by argyrium]

DubaiAmateurRocketry - 25-5-2013 at 00:49

Quote: Originally posted by argyrium  
Isocyanates are usually used to initiate cross linking. Most are very moisture sensitive, and very toxic materials.
--------

Sorry, I just re-read the original post.

Is the material meant to be used straight out of the container or does it need to be mixed with a second component?

[Edited on 24-5-2013 by argyrium]

That is what i am unsure of, i tried it alone, and added epoxy, both wont work, i guess I will just buy some Polybutadiene next time.